User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 12:24:42 PM EDT
This would qualify I think...

Wilmington School Has 22 Languages Spoken In Students' Homes
http://www.wral.com/news/6642461/detail.html

POSTED: 10:24 am EST February 1, 2006
UPDATED: 10:24 am EST February 1, 2006

WILMINGTON, N.C. -- The 22 foreign languages spoken in the homes of students at Pine Valley Elementary School may make it the multilingual capital of New Hanover County.

In addition to Spanish and Arabic _ each spoken in the homes of 29 students _ other languages represented include: Amharic, spoken in Ethiopia; Gujarati, an Indian language; and Portuguese, Japanese and Korean.

The variety of both languages and cultures can turn even a workout into a lesson about other countries.

One rainy day, a first-grader became upset when told to make an X with arms while working out to a kickboxing video. Teachers called the mother, who is Arabic.

"She laughed and said the gesture meant bad luck," said Robbyn Novak, who teaches English as a second language at Pine Valley.

"I don't get to travel a lot," Novak said. "This is my chance to see the world."

Frankie Aziz, a Wilmington shopkeeper who left the West Bank when he was a teenager, has lived in the area for 20 years and has six children, including two at Pine Valley.

"This is a great place," he said. "I love the teachers and the system
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Good. Now I know where I'm not moving to.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing new, IMO. Check out any military base school & you'll have the same little UN there as well due to spouses being from all over the world.

Much ado about nothing, IMO.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#3]

when told to make an X with arms  Arabic. said the gesture meant bad luck,

Gonna be allot of pissed off  7/11's tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top