Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 11:15:48 AM EDT
Open Letter to All Federally Licensed Dealers, Importers, and Manufacturers of Firearms and Ammunition
By Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Jan 31, 2006

The purpose of this Open Letter is to advise all Federal firearms licensees (FFLs) of a recent change to the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as it relates to the transfer of certain types of firearms. Recently, Congress amended the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 with the passage of the Energy Policy Act of 2005. This act (Public Law 109-058) was signed by the President on August 8, 2005. Although the new provision does not amend the Gun Control Act of 1968 or the National Firearms Act, it does allow for the possession of machineguns by Nuclear Regulatory

Commission (NRC) licensees and authorized contractors that provide security to these licensees at nuclear facilities. The language of the new law appears in 42 U.S.C. § 2201a. This new provision is a departure from present legal restrictions which do not allow for machineguns to be imported for, transferred to, or possessed by non-government entities. Before this new statute may take effect, the law states that the NRC must establish guidelines for implementation that are approved by the Attorney General (AG). Toward this end, ATF has met with the NRC to offer assistance in developing guidelines that will enable NRC licensees, contractors and FFLs to comply with all Federal laws and regulations that govern their conduct of business.

NRC is in the process of preparing the draft guidelines, but the approval process within the NRC and by the AG is detailed. For that reason, the implementation should not be considered imminent. As additional information becomes available, this posting will be updated. In the meantime, ATF does not have authority to process import or transfer applications filed pursuant to 42 U.S.C. § 2201a.

ATF is committed to assisting the FFL population in complying with the laws and regulations while carrying out our mission to prevent terrorism, reduce violent crime and protect the public.

Thank you for your continued diligence in helping keep America safeIf you have any questions about the new firearms provision of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, please call the Nuclear Regulatory Commission at 301-415-7015.

Lewis P. Raden

Assistant Director
Enforcement Programs and Services

www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/013006openletter.pdf
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#2]
How much does a nuke plant cost?  Group buy?

edited
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How much does a nuke plant cost?  Group guy?

There's a  lightbulb.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a pretty sensible position, actually. Nuke plants store nuclear waste onsite, and having the guards armed with something more potent than .38 revolvers is a good idea.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's a pretty sensible position, actually. Nuke plants store nuclear waste onsite, and having the guards armed with something more potent than .38 revolvers is a good idea.

The security at the plant just outside of town is well armed, and better trained in shooting than the cops.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:24:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

.38 and a 10/22 is a pretty big jump to FA weapons.
Most of these sites already have semi-auto pistols and rifles, but FA has always been a legal issue.

But, I prefer to have anybody guarding such a sensitive installation to have access to the widest and most powerful array of weapons practical.  There isn't much of a collateral damage issue on such properties.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The security at the plant just outside of town is well armed, and better trained in shooting than the cops.

In the last few years they have improved security dramatically.

But when I lived near a plant, the guards had .38 revolvers and a few 870 shotguns. That was it.

The same plant transitioned to Sig P228 pistols and AR-15 carbines a year before 9/11.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Slippery slope! Let's get 922 (o) repealed!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How much does a nuke plant cost?  Group guy?

Now that's a damn good idea!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#11]
What if our electrical power comes from clean, safe nuclear energy?

Can we get full auto then?  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Actually, the usual rent a cop might be a bit behind when it comes to auto.  Frankly, I'd rather the guards be military.  First, an attack on a nuclear plant should be considered an act of war.  Second, they have the training and a command structure.  Third, any problem and a whole lotta brothers will come running, calling in choppers, etc.  As far as how to pay for that, just tack on the extra cost to the military budget.  It doesn't come for free, anyway: they have to pay the "security" company.  So, just cut the check to Uncle, instead.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#14]
OK, so if I declare myself an independant contractor and guard for a nuclear plant, do I simply order up all the post sample import machineguns that I like? I mean, even if a nuke plant doesn't hire me & all, I have to have the guns on hand and be training constantly. Let see, I've got a number of training classes under my belt, All I need is the "CS223 Nuclear Protection Agency, LLC". (That would make for a catchy rap jingle) Offer my services for $150 per hour.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

edited

Don't abandoned plants need to be secured as well?  Hell an old non functional contaminated plant should be cheap.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

edited

Don't abandoned plants need to be secured as well?  Hell an old non functional contaminated plant should be cheap.

Now THERE is a smashing idea... and not only because my town has one of those.  

- BG
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Duke Power Co wants to build a new nuke plant
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Duke Power Co wants to build a new nuke plant

I don't understand how they claim to have lost a tremendous amount of money on their existing nuclear plants and are asking for government grants to keep them operating, but they want to build a new one?  Something doesn't make sense.  Of course Duke Power has never been known for being a competent organization so they may just be trying to lose more money like they lost money last month by intentionally deciding not to cut trees back so they would later have to spend much more money to fix downed lines.z
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I met a guy last week in M16 armorer school who works at a nuke weapons storage facility in the Texas Panhandle.  He said they have uparmored HMMWVs, MK-19s, M240Gs, and M4A1s.  He was headed to the East Coast this week to attend the Army's armorers course for MK19s and M240Gs.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#20]
iof i recall correctly  Nuke plants could have company owned  LEO magazines and guns during the 1994  ban  so   its not a real surpise
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, the usual rent a cop might be a bit behind when it comes to auto.  Frankly, I'd rather the guards be military.  First, an attack on a nuclear plant should be considered an act of war.  Second, they have the training and a command structure.  Third, any problem and a whole lotta brothers will come running, calling in choppers, etc.  As far as how to pay for that, just tack on the extra cost to the military budget.  It doesn't come for free, anyway: they have to pay the "security" company.  So, just cut the check to Uncle, instead.

The nuke power site "rent-a-cops" I've seen are FAR from those that you describe.  A few years back, a lot of SWAT competitions were won by DOE Contract Security from the Wackenhut Corp. IIRC and they were some definitely HSLD individuals.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#22]
The thing that bothers me is the people we used to have securing several TONS of VX nerve agent stored at the Newport Army Ammunition Facility in Newport, IN.  Old worn out Model 15 S&W revolvers, rusty assed 870's, and generally worthless individuals manning them at $9 an hour!
Since 9/11, it has gotten better though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The nuke power site "rent-a-cops" I've seen are FAR from those that you describe.  A few years back, a lot of SWAT competitions were won by DOE Contract Security from the Wackenhut Corp. IIRC and they were some definitely HSLD individuals.

+1

The guards at Beaver Valley Power Station do FoF drills with the Marines all the time, and don't always lose.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The guards at Beaver Valley Power Station do FoF drills with the Marines all the time, and don't always lose.

At my facility we rarely lose!! The training for Nuclear Security Officers is far from what most people think. We go through an average of 4-5 months of initial training before being assigned to a team. Once certified as a NSO, we have another 100+ hours a year of on-shift training. On top of that, we have our bi-annual firearms T&Q, limited scope FOF drills, and our full-scale FOF drills. We have more stringent firearms training than any police dept. in the state of CT. Not to mention that our Licencee built us one of the few INDOOR 100yd firearms ranges on the east coast. At my site, someone with no military experience is the exeption rather than the rule. 3/4's of our force is former military.  The skill level of our NSO's is far above what most people would think of as a "security guard".  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I met a guy last week in M16 armorer school who works at a nuke weapons storage facility in the Texas Panhandle.  He said they have uparmored HMMWVs, MK-19s, M240Gs, and M4A1s.  He was headed to the East Coast this week to attend the Army's armorers course for MK19s and M240Gs.

Was he a DOE sworn agent or a contractor? I can't speak to the quality of the contractors, but the three DOE guys I have shot with were bad motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#26]
IFTGB

(in for the group buy)

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Would this supercede state laws?

I know NJ had a big fight over arming nuclear plant guards.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#28]
How much do these guards make compared to a LEO ?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I wonder if they could do this sort of thing to protect the Pipeline.....ANd since everyone here draws a dividend from oil proceeds....yea baby...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

.38 and a 10/22 is a pretty big jump to FA weapons.
Most of these sites already have semi-auto pistols and rifles, but FA has always been a legal issue.

But, I prefer to have anybody guarding such a sensitive installation to have access to the widest and most powerful array of weapons practical.  There isn't much of a collateral damage issue on such properties.

I don't really see that much of a "jump".  They just go boom at a higher rate than semi-auto.  Arm them to the teeth I say.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#31]
<------------------I'm in this Biz tag.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#32]
a bit OT...but how hard is it to get a job as a nuke plant security guard?  id love to have a job like that....I was considering that even before reading this......but now im really interested

id like to get into security, and not mall security either...  is becomming a LEO for some years a good first step?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:46:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The nuclear security guards must fulfill DOE established standards that are far more rigorous than you would think.

Don't just write them off as rent-a-cops, as most are more professional than you think.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:50:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Yup.

I know Wackenhutt guys, for instance, who have Blackhawk helicopters, several belt fed machine guns, the arrest powers of a Federal Marshal on the property they protect, and the authorization to use lethal force on sight. They have to do something like 200 hours of professional weapons training a YEAR. That's a lot of training courses.

They guard a nuclear weapons depot down in Georgia. I trained with the members of their SRT and they were one of the best group of shooters I have ever seen.

When I thought of Wackenhutt I thought of the old guy trying to shoo teenagers away at the mall. I had no idea guys like that existed under the Wackenhutt brand...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:16:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

I know Wackenhutt guys, for instance, who have Blackhawk helicopters, several belt fed machine guns, the arrest powers of a Federal Marshal on the property they protect, and the authorization to use lethal force on sight. They have to do something like 200 hours of professional weapons training a YEAR. That's a lot of training courses.

They guard a nuclear weapons depot down in Georgia. I trained with the members of their SRT and they were one of the best group of shooters I have ever seen.

When I thought of Wackenhutt I thought of the old guy trying to shoo teenagers away at the mall. I had no idea guys like that existed under the Wackenhutt brand...

That's great to know.  I'm sure you're aware of the usual one sees, and I'm not even talking Wal Mart, but armed ones.  Fat old men sleeping.  Nevertheless, I think some "federalization", along the lines of that Federal Marshal comment, would be useful, with enabling legislation to get in Army backup in the case of overwhelming numbers.  And, the hell with NJ.  They would have something happen after denying the means to deal with it, then go crying that the federal government din't do enough.  (hey, that sounds familiar).   I'm not for a lot more federal powers, but this just simply makes sense - the federal governement's main job being to provide for the common defense (hey, where'd that come from?).
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:18:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Isnt it usually the nuke SWAT guys who win the SWAT competitions?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:20:12 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

No, no, no! Just give the criminals what they want and nobody will get hurt.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

edited

One site purported it costs 3 to 5 billion just to construct.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:58:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Isnt it usually the nuke SWAT guys who win the SWAT competitions?

It helps to have a larger training budget than most police agencies.

The DOE SRT type guys train CONSTANTLY, and I do mean CONSTANTLY, as in some cases 40 hours of training per month.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:58:46 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

edited

One site purported it costs 3 to 5 billion just to construct.

Not to mention trying to get .gov approval to build one in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#41]
I have four old smoke detectors around somewhere, maybe I can open a "nuclear disposal facility".....
~
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, my dad worked for Wackenhut briefly when he retired from the Air Force.  His  branch of Wackenhut was only for ex-military.  The nuke plant protection force(a division of that) guys were all ex-Special Forces.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top