Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 9:25:01 AM EDT
The wife says we have to ditch the teflon coated cookware.

What the heck is out there that is nonstick and safe?

FWIW, I would still use cast iron but the wife said hell no.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#1]
why are you ditching teflon?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Some new report just came out in the media about teflon being associated with some health problems.  I haven't read much about it yet.

What's her problem with cast-iron?  I think most problems with cast iron come from not knowing how to use and maintain it properly.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#3]
All the T-fal is crap. The teflon will peel.

We use heavy stainless cookware now. It transmits heat better. When you are done cooking with stainless just add water and put back on heat for a few minutes, all the stuff that was on the pan comes right off. Ever been to a japanese hibachi resturant, all the grills are stainless for a reason. Stainless cookware will last forever.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I won't use teflon, fuck no.

Whats the deal with non-stick anyways? Don't be so lazy! Lmao.
I use stainless steel... and I always use a little olive oil, butter, or veggie oil, etc..
cleans up no problem with the uhh.. scotchbrite stuff... I get sponges with the scrubby scotchbrite on the back. Can use steel wool too but just maintain the pots and pans and ya wont need to.

Also, I'm a die-hard for cast iron.  Ya don't clean that there.
I use my cast iron skillet for pizzas, steaks, grilled cheese... mmm, I gettin' hungry
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Something about it being toxic with flu-like symptoms is why she wants to dump it. The pans are starting to flake off their coating so its time to replace them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife has stored all our sugar, flour,etc, in teflon containers for years and just this week got rid of it all.  Says it can cause cancer.  We've long ago got rid of our teflon pots and pans.  We use cast iron and ceramic coated cast iron exclusively now.  Stores her baking flour,sugar, etc in Stainless steel now.  FWIW.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Anodized Stainless.

Or just plain stainless. A little olive oil or cooking spray, no mess.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Cast iron is the way to go, you just have to know how to clean them properly (no soap, definitely no dishwasher).

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Its not only the teflon but its aluminum underneath that coating, ALU is not good for ya either. Both were linked years ago to Alzheimers (sp?) and now more studies about Teflon are coming out.

I never liked the fact that everytime you cook with non-stick pans, you're eating non-stick
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Lots of health issues posted on the web about teflon so I can see being cautious about it *BUT* WTF?
Who does the cooking?
Sounds like you.
If you like cast iron use cast iron, you wuss!
Tell the wife to STFU.
Wait, what does she look like?
Because depending on your answer it could change everything I've said.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#11]
About the only thing I'd say you really need nonstick for is making omelettes and crepes.  Stainless, aluminum, or cast iron can handle anything else.

And you can't make a pan sauce on non-stick!

That said, I do like non-stick sauce pots for stuff that can stick and burn.  They do clean up easier.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#12]

I see. It's the unsubstantiated-health-risk-of-the-day.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Build a collection of stainless and cast iron. Keep one or two non-stick for items like crepes that require non-stick.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Build a collection of stainless and cast iron. Keep one or two non-stick for items like crepes that require non-stick.

Noooo!

Butter, damnit.  Small amounts of melted butter.

You do not need non-stick for crepes or omelets.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:38:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Nothing will stick to your pans if you cook with the right base (oil, butter, spray) and if you clean them hot, you will never have a problem.  

Teflon is not the ingredient that is bad for you.  It’s the primer they spray on the pan to make the unstickable stick.  

Stay away from Aluminum unless you like Altzheimers. :)
Stainless is my choice when I can't use Cast.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Cast iron is the way to go, you just have to know how to clean them properly (no soap, definitely no dishwasher).

Kharn

clean em why? LOL
how do you clean yours? scrub with salt and water ain't it?

I heat my cast iron before use, wipe it out with paper towel to get out old oil and crud, then I give it a light coating of olive oil and leave it on the flame awhile.

But I don't use it for pork or chicken. Mostly just pizzas and steaks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
About the only thing I'd say you really need nonstick for is making omelettes and crepes.  Stainless, aluminum, or cast iron can handle anything else.

That said, I do like non-stick sauce pots for stuff that can stick and burn.  They do clean up easier.

Kinda pointless to dump telfon for aluminum... Switch because of a new potential or imaginary health risk for one that is a probable health risk.

Stainless big and heavy for frying.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Noooo!

Butter, damnit.  Small amounts of melted butter.

You do not need non-stick for crepes or omelets.

Revere stainless omelet pan. Chili omelet.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

that's what I figured as well.  probably came through via chain email
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Big heavy surgical stainless for us.

Bob
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's what I figured as well.  probably came through via chain email

Most likely
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Calphalon Anodized Aluminum.
And a spritz of PAM or some other cooking spray, no problems.

I have one teflon flat, square skillet for certain cooking tasks, but 95% is in the Calphalon without teflon.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kinda pointless to dump telfon for aluminum... Switch because of a new potential or imaginary health risk for one that is a probable health risk.

I use anodized aluminum (Calphalon). No alzheimers and no teflon. Oh, have a couple griswold cast iron skillets as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Also with stainless you get the same results with a lower heat as it transmitts heat better than the teflon crap.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

clean em why? LOL

I heat my cast iron before use, wipe it out with paper towel to get out old oil and crud, then I give it a light coating of olive oil and leave it on the flame awhile.

I have a scrubbing sponge dedicated to my cast iron, no soap ever touches it, just a bit of scrubbing with that and very hot water out of the faucet and I'm all set.  I cook chicken on it about half the time I use my griddle (fajitas).

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

First I've ever heard of any problems with aluminum.  I'll have to read up on it.  Does that include aluminum foil?  I refuse to stop using aluminum foil. It's just too handy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First I've ever heard of any problems with aluminum.  I'll have to read up on it.  Does that include aluminum foil?  I refuse to stop using aluminum foil. It's just too handy.

There is scant evidence that aluminum from cookware MIGHT contribute to Alzheimer’s… So some people recommend you don’t use aluminum cookware… of course three is also aluminum foil, pop cans, ect.

My point being I would take the Teflon scare with a grain of salt before I ran out and spent money to correct a Teflon problem that probably does not exist.

The Teflon is handy for some things... apply the same logic there as you do to aluminum foil... of course you are dealing with your wife so logic probably does not come in to this on your end.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Pure hooey.  The recent Teflon scare involves the MANUFACTURE of teflon, not the end product.

It has been known for decades that burning a Teflon covered pan is bad.  Such is the price for technology.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

clean em why? LOL

I have a scrubbing sponge dedicated to my cast iron, no soap ever touches it, just a bit of scrubbing with that and very hot water out of the faucet and I'm all set.  I cook chicken on it about half the time I use my griddle (fajitas).

Kharn

Gotcha, thanks. I definitely would'nt use soap either.
So far, I've not had any buildup of anything that required scrubbing. I have a metal scraper that I use if there is anything paper towel won't get off.  I'll keep the dedicated sponge in mind though!

As for chicken, I use stainless and sear it most of the time. My concern is that chicken and pork would pose the greatest threat of bacteria and such, so figured why risk it with the iron.

I do alot of roasting, baking, (Pyrex for those) and rotisserie cooking ... so my actual stovetop cookware does not get that much use. Normally it's stainless for veggies and potatoes or rice, etc...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
There is scant evidence that aluminum from cookware MIGHT contribute to Alzheimer’s… So some people recommend you don’t use aluminum cookware… of course three is also aluminum foil, pop cans, ect.

My point being I would take the Teflon scare with a grain of salt before I ran out and spent money to correct a Teflon problem that probably does not exist.

The Teflon is handy for some things... apply the same logic there as you do to aluminum foil... of course you are dealing with your wife so logic probably does not come in to this on your end.

Actually, since you have to replace teflon coated cookware every couple years...
the next time you replace it, why not just buy a set of proven safe, more efficient, and higher quality stainless steel cookware that you'll never, ever, have to replace... since steel does'nt flake off into your food.

Is that too logical?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, since you have to replace teflon coated cookware every couple years...
the next time you replace it, why not just buy a set of proven safe, more efficient, and higher quality stainless steel cookware that you'll never, ever, have to replace... since steel does'nt flake off into your food.

Is that too logical?

That’s fine but you miss the point which is why do anything now… it is not necessary.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Stainless steel DOES leach into foods that are cooked in it.  And since most 300 series SS (18-8) contains nickel, it is also possible to trigger nickel allergies.  Bad juju.

Then we have chromium which at elevated temperatures is dissolved by chloride ions common to ALL foods.  The chromium also leaches out into the food and remember Erin Brockovich was on her tirade due to chromium...

Aluinum is NOT toxic.  It is found in most clays which have been used for thousands of years in china, pottery and glassware.  We consume far more aluminum from the dust on foods, in the air and from stoneware cookery.

Oh yes, Mylanta is chock full of aluminum.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Invest in some 18/10 stainless All-clad.  

You'll never need any more cookware and stainless is non-reactive to all foods.  

You can get a starter 10-piece set for about $500.

E-bay is another great place to get deals on All-clad.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The recent Teflon scare involves the MANUFACTURE of teflon, not the end product.

Wow, someone actually read the news release.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Stainless steel DOES leach into foods that are cooked in it.  And since most 300 series SS (18-8) contains nickel, it is also possible to trigger nickel allergies.  Bad juju.

Then we have chromium which at elevated temperatures is dissolved by chloride ions common to ALL foods.  The chromium also leaches out into the food and remember Erin Brockovich was on her tirade due to chromium...

Aluinum is NOT toxic.  It is found in most clays which have been used for thousands of years in china, pottery and glassware.  We consume far more aluminum from the dust on foods, in the air and from stoneware cookery.

Nothing is non-reactive, but I'd say stainless steel is a good bit more non-reactive than the other options.

Not that nonstick or aluminum is unsafe, I consider them all safe, as the exposure amounts in most cases are completely trivial.

The reason I reccomend stainless is because it holds heat better than the others,  it's dishwasher safe, and good quality stainless last practically forever. plus you can do things with stainless you can't do with nonstick. Pan sauces, oven broiling, etc.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing is non-reactive, but I'd say stainless steel is a good bit more non-reactive than the other options.

Not that nonstick or aluminum is unsafe, I consider them all safe, as the exposure amounts in most cases are completely trivial.

The reason I reccomend stainless is because it holds heat better than the others,  it's dishwasher safe, and good quality stainless last practically forever. plus you can do things with stainless you can't do with nonstick. Pan sauces, oven broiling, etc.

Stainless is easier and more durable long term. A good stainless pot or pan will last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1!

You can't make an aluminum foil beanie without aluminum foil.  And God knows, the poor saps who are dumping aluminum, teflon, and dihydrogen monoxide *need* aluminum foil beanies.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Something about it being toxic with flu-like symptoms is why she wants to dump it. The pans are starting to flake off their coating so its time to replace them.

Yeah time to get rid of them.  I have some that is not flaking off, but I'm getting rid of it also.  They start to flake when you over heat them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Get quality stainless, will be the last pans you buy.  Personally I like my all-clad (did get them at a discount thought, some ebay, some employee discount).

All-clad (and other quailty stainless) has a aluminum core for good heat conduction.  All-clad is also magnetic (in the rare even induction cooking ever becomes popular).
----
Bar keepers friend (detergent) is your friend with stainless.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Teflon is only toxic if overheated to the point of smoking.  You literally have to BURN the teflon to make it toxic......  Just like all the Tupperware you have too.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Teflon is only toxic if overheated to the point of smoking.  You literally have to BURN the teflon to make it toxic......  Just like all the Tupperware you have too.  

yep- will kill your bird if nearby too.

Stainless by itself is not that great conductor- needs conductive alum or copper base for even heat.  Emrilware/all clad and even Cuisenart have these-Cuisenart if you want to pay half what all clad charges.  Watch amazon.com for specials
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:33:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm a big fan of the stainless/copper mixed stuff.  My brother just got a set for his birthday, and it heats up so quickly.

Of course, I'm still using teflon, so...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#44]
I haven't ever read anything convincing that Teflon cookware was toxic--except if you have pet birds, and you BURN the cookware until the teflon charrs.

You don't really *need* non-stick, unless it's pans to let your kids try cooking with.
Most recipes date from earlier times when plain-steel and iron pans were all that was available; if you are doing it right, the food won't stick.

But that said------I am a fan of stainless cookware myself. No coating, so you can clean with steel wool if you need to. Glass dishes too thanks.
~
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Stainless and cast iron are the way to go.

I ditched my teflon about 4 years ago for cooking reasons, those teflon pans suck series ass when it comes to cooking.

What's the point of using a peice of hardware that looses all of it's heat as soon as you put the food in it??

That allows the juices to just leach out of the meat while the stupid pan gets back up to speed.
That's a cooking no no.

About the only thingI can think of that a teflon pan does for me is when you simmer meats with sauces.

THe heat conduction is so shitty in the teflon pans it's hard to overheat your sauces to the point where they dry up like they would in a cast iron or stainless pan.
Then you have to find a way to pick up and move your meat around with a stupid peice of plasitic.

I really hate teflon pans in case you haven't noticed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Cooking on Hi will smoke Teflon easy. So you can not use Hi, or not use Teflon. Also, PTFE is white, why are all the coatings black?

Stainless is nice, but how do you clean it once you stick stuff to it? Steel wool would damage the pretty surface it comes with...

Also, it is not a good idea to run water into a red hot pot with a 2-piece base. You will end up with 2 pieces. Just a random observation.

Well cured cast iron is nice, and the surface is easily repaired, but it's not everything.

One day I'll pony up for some All-Clad.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Health scare du jour aside, I've never had much luck with Teflon-coated cookware. It always seems to flake and scratch at the slightest provocation, and I've always been religious about using plastic utensils with non-stick stuff.

Right now all I've got are some cast iron pieces, but I still need to round it out a little. When I can afford it I'm adding some good stainless steel triple-ply cookware, like Allclad or Calphalon's Tri-Ply line. I expect my cast iron stuff and good stainless steel will outlast me and my grandkids will be fighting over it.

If you need a Teflon-coated skillet for omelettes or crepes or whatever, a cheapo $20 one from a restaurant supply store will work just fine, and if it gets torn up and you need to toss it then you're only out $20.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#48]
I have an All-Clad stainless steel pot. If I cook spaghetti sauce in it, it gives it a weird taste.
I bought a set of Calphalon aluminum pots and pan.
Frying with the pan is harder to cook than with non-stick pans because it's easier to ruin your food if you don't control the temperature of the pan and the food isn't just right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top