Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 8:51:02 AM EDT
I had a random thought while blowing my nose earlier.

What are boogers made of? I know they're dried mucus but... what is it made from?

No I haven't been drinking , it was just a random thought.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine are usually comprised of burnt gunpowder.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#2]
ibtbl
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Here lately it has been rust and shop dirt(been working on my truck).
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+.9bar

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ibtbl

Why?

I'm serious!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+.9bar

Nothing like going to a poorly ventilated indoor range and later on, hawking up gunpowder flavored loogies.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+.9bar

Nothing like going to a poorly ventilated indoor range and later on, hawking up gunpowder flavored loogies.

That semi-sweet taste is not gunpowder. It's your brain-cells new best friend.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#8]
They are made up of whatever dust is in the air that your breathin.  Here is something interesting, get your HVAC ducts sealed from the inside and your home will be come totally dust free if you keep the filters changed and you won't have any crap in your nose anymore.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#9]

/Ogre/ NNEERRRRRRDDSS/Ogre/
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#10]
If working in the color-mixing area, carbon black...

Otherwise I think mustly dust and dirt, but I never inspected them

Oh, yeah, and sometimes blood...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Fiberglass?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Why are they green for the most part?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Alcohol-murdered braincells
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+.9bar

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#16]
What is a booger made of?  

Main Entry: boog·er
Pronunciation: /BOO - grr/
Function: noun
Etymology: alteration of English dialect buggard, boggart, from 1bug + -ard Date: 1866
1 : BOGEYMAN
2 : a piece of dried nasal mucus

Boogers are mucus (myoo-kuss). Mucus is the thin, slippery material that is found inside your nose. Many people call mucus snot. Your nose makes nearly a cupful of snot every day. Snot is produced by the mucous membranes in the nose, which it moistens and protects.

When you inhale air through your nose, it contains lots of tiny particles, like dust, dirt, germs, and pollen. If these particles made it all the way to the lungs, the lungs could get damaged and it would be difficult to breathe. Snot works by trapping the particles and keeping them in the nose.

After these particles get stuck inside the nose, the mucus surrounds them along with some of the tiny hairs inside the nose called cilia. The mucus dries around the particles. When the particles and dried-out mucus clump together, you're left with a booger!

Boogers can be squishy and slimy or tough and crumbly. In fact, boogers are a sign that your nose is working properly.
www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/booger.asp
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#17]
P08, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Nose boogers have a lot of parts.

Mucous
Bacteria
Viruses
Pollen
Dirt
Any airborne particles
Also
 Immunoglobulins.  Mostly IgA.   Its your first line of defense against disease.

The mucous acts as flypaper and grabs anything that is floating.  The hairs in your nose stop anything large getting into the lungs.  The airway has mucous and cillia which constantly trap and clear everything you bring in.  That large lugie that collects in your throat is usually all the crap you have breathed in and the airway has conveyored it back out.  It keeps you healthy and keeps you from accumulating crap in your lungs. Ask any HVAC guy about crap in the vents and ducts.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#19]
The base products that comprise boogers are glycoproteins (mucin) and water.  The water concentration is what controls the consistency.  Beyond that, whatever you've been breathing in will be there, and possibly bacteria if you have sinus infection going on.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+.9bar

Lead particulate matter.  It's what gives you the semi-sweet mucousy taste in the back of your throat.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#21]
mucus+all that crap you breath in
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+.9bar

Lead particulate matter.  It's what gives you the semi-sweet mucousy taste in the back of your throat.

Cool!  So my kids will have like 3 arms and two heads and stuff?   They will be great at football then.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+.9bar

Cool!  So my kids will have like 3 arms and two heads and stuff?   They will be great at football then.

There's another plus, as well.

If you breathe enough in, it will settle in your soft organs. Most notably your nuts. You'll have that ultra-low swinging package that the ladies love.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Wait?  we can talk about what boogers are made of but we can't discuss at what point in time man decide to wipe his ass?  Sometimes the Mods confuse the fuck out of me.

~Dg84
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#25]
That's almost like asking what is shit made of.  Hey Honey hurry up and get in here and look at this before I flush it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Wait?  we can talk about what boogers are made of but we can't discuss at what point in time man decide to wipe his ass?  Sometimes the Mods confuse the fuck out of me.

~Dg84

Actually, I was thinking this, myself.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

If you breathe enough in, it will settle in your soft organs. Most notably your nuts. You'll have that ultra-low swinging package that the ladies love.

Interesting that you mention this...

I recall many years ago while working in a chemical storage room, I got a real good whiff of M.E.K. (Methyl ethyl ketone)

It made me dizzy and left a bizzare tingling sensation in my nuts...

NASTY stuff MEK is.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#28]

What is a booger made of?

Main Entry: boog·er
Pronunciation: /BOO - grr/
Function: noun
Etymology: alteration of English dialect buggard, boggart, from 1bug + -ard Date: 1866
1 : BOGEYMAN
2 : a piece of dried nasal mucus

Boogers are mucus (myoo-kuss). Mucus is the thin, slippery material that is found inside your nose. Many people call mucus snot. Your nose makes nearly a cupful of snot every day. Snot is produced by the mucous membranes in the nose, which it moistens and protects.

When you inhale air through your nose, it contains lots of tiny particles, like dust, dirt, germs, and pollen. If these particles made it all the way to the lungs, the lungs could get damaged and it would be difficult to breathe. Snot works by trapping the particles and keeping them in the nose.

After these particles get stuck inside the nose, the mucus surrounds them along with some of the tiny hairs inside the nose called cilia. The mucus dries around the particles. When the particles and dried-out mucus clump together, you're left with a booger!

Boogers can be squishy and slimy or tough and crumbly. In fact, boogers are a sign that your nose is working properly.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting that you mention this...

I recall many years ago while working in a chemical storage room, I got a real good whiff of M.E.K. (Methelethelketone... sp. ?)

It made me dizzy and left a bizzare tingling sensation in my nuts...

NASTY stuff MEK is.

"It was like millions of spermatozoa cried out... And then were silenced."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top