Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 4:13:08 AM EDT
I  want to   learn how to do  IT things.  I am a  software developer for a living, but I don't know a lot about networks oddly enough.  Does someone have a couple sites or something they could point me to.

I don't know  about obtainiinig a copy of MS Server,   so  maybe I can use linux or somthing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:20:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I don't know  about obtainiinig a copy of MS Server,   so  maybe I can use linux or somthing.

I'm not a server expert, but I know some people who use Linux a server software, and those folks assure me that the Linux product is rock-solid, even more so than the MS program products, and the best part is that it is basically free.  I remember, years ago MS NT4(now obsolete), with a license for something like 13 users, was like $1,200.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:20:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Helmig's World of Windows Networking

Lot's of how-to stuff. Step-by-step.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:26:20 AM EDT
[#3]
You're opening a huge can of worms. "Server" is kind of vague. What is it you'd like to learn, specifically? Is this for business or pleasure?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You're opening a huge can of worms. "Server" is kind of vague. What is it you'd like to learn, specifically? Is this for business or pleasure?

Well, I really want to learn a couple things.  I want to learn about webserving, ftp, VPN, and I also want to learn how to sut up client acounts and to troubleshoot logins to a server (Maybe stuff  an IT guy has to deal with).
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:55:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I really want to learn a couple things.  I want to learn about webserving, ftp, VPN, and I also want to learn how to sut up client acounts and to troubleshoot logins to a server (Maybe stuff  an IT guy has to deal with).

Any good linux distribution will have a bunch of server apps.

I'd start out getting an apache server running on linux, it's fairly simple, and there are lots of things to learn after that.

Check out freshmeat.net and sourceforge, for all kinds of servers, FTP, IRC, proxies, mail, etc.

Of course the most popular versions of each will come in any linux distribution, so you can start there. :P
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:00:10 AM EDT
[#6]
You should be able to do all of that with Windows XP. Windows Server is expensive if you have to purchase it. You can install IIS ( for web serving) and FTP on XP from the "add windows components" inside the "add/remove software" area. You will need the original disc.

FYI: Apache can also be run on Win XP.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:01:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You should be able to do all of that with Windows XP. Windows Server is expensive if you have to purchase it. You can install IIS ( for web serving) and FTP on XP from the "add windows components" inside the "add/remove software" area. You will need the original disc.

Apache > IIS.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:20:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not a server expert, but I know some people who use Linux a server software, and those folks assure me that the Linux product is rock-solid, even more so than the MS program products, and the best part is that it is basically free.  I remember, years ago MS NT4(now obsolete), with a license for something like 13 users, was like $1,200.

Nope, Linux isnt rock solid! ...... but hey, I think he should learn both anyway... Windows and Linux, Makes you much more marketable.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:26:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, Linux isnt rock solid! ...... but hey, I think he should learn both anyway... Windows and Linux, Makes you much more marketable.

+1 on that! I think Linux is way overrated. If you are new to networking, I suggest that you stay away from Linux. Learn the basics in Windows.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I have gotten home from work and got linux redhat 6.2 up and running.  I am repeating this message cause I didn't realize that ctl-c would erase it, I usually copy my messages so I can just paste them if something goes wrong. Oops.

Anyway, here I sit with some questions now that I finally got this thing to access the internet.

I need a new browser. I have netscape 4.72 and it seems to have some trouble loading webpages. What should I download?

Where do I get this apache software?

Should I be on the internet and logged in as root at the same time or is that bad to do?

Can my desktop(server) be behind my router?  I am assuming it can if I put a hole in the firewall so I can access it.

My ISP assiged my a static IP address, so effectivly I can just set up a server and not worry about the IP changing right?

Thanks for the help so far.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:22:38 AM EDT
[#11]
btt
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:22:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Solution:

Wipe the drive clean and install a fresh copy of Win XP Pro. You may think that Linux is "cool" and all but for most it is just a HUGE headache. You will be much happier using Windows and you will learn a lot more. You can thank me later. Just send me an IM.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:26:35 AM EDT
[#13]
load apache, it's a good webserver package thats free
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I need a new browser. I have netscape 4.72 and it seems to have some trouble loading webpages. What should I download?

Isn't this version of Netscrape obsolete? I have a version 7.x that I'm using, and it's based on Mozzila Firefox browser with changes in skins.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Copies of stuff like Windows 2003 Server are easily obtainable at anytime on newsgroups like alt.binaries.cd.image and alt.binaries.warez.ibm-pc.  No, I won't tell you exactly how to do this because if this is above your abilities then you shouldn't be messing with networks in the first place.  You can consider it your first test.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Buy him a tux, a silver platter, show him where to hang the guests coats, and give him a name like Jeeves, and your in business!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top