Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 2:14:21 AM EDT
I am getting a G19 match stainless steel barrel and I want it black, I got a answer from you guys about
using melonite for the darkening. Should I plug the bore or just dump it in there?

The reason I am getting a SS barrel is because it is extended with threads..........and it is very affordable.

I dont think it would hurt it because it is just coloring the metal not painting it or adding a coating on it.

What say you hive minds???????
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
got a link to the melonite info?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#3]
it would be the last product on the bottom........... link
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:04:34 AM EDT
[#4]
btt
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:21:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been gunsmithing about 15 years now.  I am set up with black oxide (hot bluing) and manganese phosphate (parkerizing) tanks.  I have never used melonite though.

I never plugged the barrels when being hot blued (alkaline based solution), but always when parkerizing.  Parkerizing solution has phosphoric acid in it and "etches" the steel.  If this melonite is acid based I would plug the barrel to be sure.  Since it works at room temp. the plugs won't be as likely to pop out like they do in heated tanks.

You definately won't fuck up your bbl by plugging it.

Balming
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:23:53 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 for Balming. Definitely plug the barrel. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Just for the record that's not Melonite but rather just a cold bluing.  Bluing is also refered to as "black oxide".  

Melonite is a nitro carburizing process that involves heating to around 1000 degrees something you could not do at home.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
+1 for Balming. Definitely plug the barrel. Charles the Gunsmith.  

+1 yup plug it...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just for the record that's not Melonite but rather just a cold bluing.  Bluing is also refered to as "black oxide".  

Melonite is a nitro carburizing process that involves heating to around 1000 degrees something you could not do at homesure you can.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Melonite is a nitro carburizing process that involves heating to around 1000 degrees something you could not do at homesure you can.  

really good pizza oven?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Something a LOT of people could not do at home.  I think I could, with a little bit of work.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Something a LOT of people could not do at home.  I think I could, with a little bit of work.

I would bet you cannot do nitro carburizing at home.  Stop taking things out of context.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top