Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2006 9:00:07 PM EDT
I guess this guy had just had enough, I wonder if the in-laws were the other relatives in the car. A felony charge and possible domestic record, that's gonna leave a mark.

Deputy Arrested For Allegedly Threatening Wife and Relatives With Gun

CLAY COUNTY, FL -- Douglas Elkins, an 18-year veteran with the Clay County Sheriff’s Office, has been arrested for an alleged incident that took place in a family car.

The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office had a warrant out for Elkins’ arrest. Monday, he was arrested by the agency for aggravated assault.

According to police reports, Deputy Elkins was in the car traveling with his wife and relatives. The reports say the 42-year-old deputy and his wife started arguing, and Mr. Elkins pulled a gun from under the seat.

The report says Mrs. Elkins told him, “Go ahead. There are witnesses this time,” and Mr. Elkins replied he had “plenty of ammunition for everyone.” The report says relatives pleaded with Mr. Elkins to put the gun away, he did, and he said, “Nobody can take a joke.”

Since the alleged incident happened in Duval County, Mrs. Elkins reported it to the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office. She and all the relatives in the car told police they felt Elkins was serious, not joking.

In a Domestic Violence Threat Assessment attached to the police report, Mrs. Elkins was asked if she thought her partner would “intentionally kill” her. She answered, “Yes.”

According to the Clay County Sheriff’s Office, Deputy Elkins has no internal affairs record of domestic violence or violence of any kind. He serves in the agency’s Juvenile Crime Unit as a school resource deputy. In the 1990’s, Elkins had “six sustained complaints regarding improper conduct of improper procedure related to handling of patrol cars or cases.” His record also shows various letters of thanks and accommodations from people he has helped over the years.

Elkins has been placed on administrative leave with pay. An internal investigation is underway at the Clay County Sheriff’s Office. The Sheriff has ordered no one to comment on the case. A spokesperson with the Office says it would be a misdemeanor for Elkins to comment on the incident since it is under an internal investigation.

A spokesperson for the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office says the case has been handed over to the State’s Attorney’s Office.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=50674
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll try and remember not to do that
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Phhheeewwww......I only pull my piece and wave it around the car when no one else is looking.

What a dumb ass.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have  “plenty of ammunition for everyone.”

now thats funny right there
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Stuck in a car with a nagging wife and in-laws?

Justifiable.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:11:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Joke'em if they can't take a fuck.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Justifiable.

Without a doubt
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#7]
That shit only flies if there is a carwash within 100 yards.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Justifiable.

Without a doubt

I have to take the inlaws for a ride tommorow.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Pulling a gun during an argument isn't a joke. Shame on him for being that casual with a firearm. That is career-ending right there.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Pulling a gun during an argument isn't a joke. Shame on him for being that casual with a firearm. That is career-ending right there.

Yeah, true, and it should be.  Especially if it was his service weapon.  All joking aside, this guy is really screwed now.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:48:57 AM EDT
[#11]

CLAY COUNTY, FL -- Douglas Elkins, an 18-year veteran with the Clay County Sheriff’s Office, has been arrested for an alleged incident that took place in a family car.

According to police reports, Deputy Elkins was in the car traveling with his wife and relatives. The reports say the 42-year-old deputy and his wife started arguing, and Mr. Elkins pulled a gun from under the seat.

The report says Mrs. Elkins told him, “Go ahead. There are witnesses this time,” and Mr. Elkins replied he had “plenty of ammunition for everyone.” The report says relatives pleaded with Mr. Elkins to put the gun away, he did, and he said, “Nobody can take a joke.”

Ahem.  Notice the cop in this story?  Why is it that so many cops have anger and control issues?

Quoted:
I guess this guy had just had enough, I wonder if the in-laws were the other relatives in the car. A felony charge and possible domestic record, that's gonna leave a mark.

It sounds like he's "had enough" several times before.  Notice that his wife said that "there are witnesses THIS TIME"?

But at least the cop went home safe!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#12]
This was not a "draw-down."
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:12:07 AM EDT
[#13]
what a shitty note to end an 18 year career on

I wonder if he's kicking himself now for not taking out the mother-in-law.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:13:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Ahem.  Notice the cop in this story?  Why is it that so many cops have anger and control issues? Because they're people too, and a lot of people in modern society are completely screwed up.  I think it's really bad that a cop did this, but I think it's just as bad if a civilian does it.

Quoted:

It sounds like he's "had enough" several times before.  Notice that his wife said that "there are witnesses THIS TIME"?   Why wasn't this kind of behavior reported/dealt with before ?  For that matter, the wife should've taken measures to protect herself, it sure sounds to me like she didn't.  If somebody pulls a gun on me, well, I'd shoot them and I know I would be fully justified in doing so.  She should have tried to get away from this jerk sooner and/or bought herself a gun and gotten a carry permit.  

But at least the cop went home safe!

At least nobody was shot, luckily for everybody involved.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Stupid hurts.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top