Posted: 1/31/2006 7:02:39 PM EDT
Want to make my own website.

Have no idea who to use.

Thikning godaddy.com just because they had cool comercials..huuhhuhuhuhh

Anyway, just thought I would ask.

Matt
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used godaddy.com for the last 3 years, never had any problems or complaints.

As for their commercials.....I don't watch TV, so I can't comment on how good their commercials were.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#2]
my buddy highly recomends godaddy.com

the commercials are nice too
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me make sure I've got it straight.

I register the domain, but where do I upload my data to?  Does godaddy in a sence become the server?

Matt
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have registered hundreds ... always use Network Solutions ....

I hear godaddy is ok though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have registered hundreds ... always use Network Solutions ....

I hear godaddy is ok though.

go daddy is cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I register the domain, but where do I upload my data to?  Does godaddy in a sence become the server?

Matt

you pay extra for hosting, go daddy offers hosting as well as domain names registration.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Matt

Godaddy is the registrar.  You create a record for your domain name that provides critical information, including your dns servers.  Your dns servers then provide the lookup service and direct visitors to your web site / whatever it is you're doing.

Many registrars will do your web hosting, so you can have them 'be your server.'  You can also host your site with a third party.   They'll all pretty much do DNS service for you.

If you don't already have a place to host your site, you might want to research web hosting companies before you register your domain, as you might want to use name servers belonging to your hosting company.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

Godaddy is the registrar.  You create a record for your domain name that provides critical information, including your dns servers.  Your dns servers then provide the lookup service and direct visitors to your web site / whatever it is you're doing.

Many registrars will do your web hosting, so you can have them 'be your server.'  You can also host your site with a third party.   They'll all pretty much do DNS service for you.

If you don't already have a place to host your site, you might want to research web hosting companies before you register your domain, as you might want to use name servers belonging to your hosting company.

Is Godaddy on par with other hosting company's?  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I've wondered about this myself.  I understand the domain registry.  I just don't get how to get the name applied to the pages on the server.

I've got plenty of server space from my ISP.  Just a matter of knowing what to do after I register the domain name.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Domains are pretty simple...all you need is a nameserver. Most registrars will (for a fee) let you use theirs. There's some disadvantages to that (like it'll take a while to throw in new A records or CNAMEs, etc)

Basically, it's simple. You tell registrar you want domain foo.com.  They register it to your name servers. What happens is that from then on, if someone decides they want to go to www.foo.com, they hit up one of the many root name servers, which houses all the information for all the domains. (Yes, I am DRAMATICALLY oversimplyifying things here...no need to correct me.)

The record for foo.com says "to check out nameserver ns1.blah.com for more information"...so the lookup goes there, queries that server, which then says "yes, I control foo.com, and www.foo.com is at this address."

Pretty simple.

I've gone through a pile of domains over the years, I run my own nameserver, etc...so for me, no big deal. For others that down have their own nameserver, it'll cost 'em a bit more...but *Shrug* that's the way things are done these days, I guess.

Ahh, I miss the days where you could just mail internic.net and register/change domains via email *sigh* So much simpler...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Have no idea who to use.

Matt

DO NOT. DO NOT. Under any circumstances register your domain through NetworkSolutions

Network solutions costs the most money, has the worst support, and most illogical options when it comes to selling a domain of any registrant out there.

With Network Solutions, many find it nearly impossible to change to the public information. They have various security schemes, none of which are clearly explained.  

They continue their pattern of letting registered domains expire without reminding the domain owner.

And on February 16, 2001, the Wall Street Journal reported that Network Solutions was actively selling the personal information of people who have registered web sites. The information they are selling includes name, street address, phone number and information about the web site. This information is publicly available only in drips and drabs, one web site at a time. NSI was packaging the information from their six million customers into a consolidated database making it much easier to use.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

For someone like yourself, there are hosting companies that offer an entire package. Domain registration, hosting and email. The will walk you through the entire process.  

For a list of domain hosting companies, I have a couple of URL's for you to browse.

Best Web Hosting- has a list and a beginner's guide in the middle of the page that will be a good start for you.

The FreeCountry has a great list of free host providers, and "How to Choose a Web Host" under their Budget Web Hosting header.

Now, if you've got a little dough, {and a willing friend/geek to help you out} the finest thing is to run your own server at home. Then you really are the master of your domain!

Hope This Helps!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#13]
ICANN recommends that you only register a domain through one of their "approved" registrars.

www.icann.org

editted to add:  Staying with their approved registrars can save you some money.  Other un-approved registrars are registering your domain through one of the approved ones anyway.  It's best to buy direct.

btw: I got a great deal on the "whole package" from www.totalchoicehosting.com for my sister's website.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Tagged.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Godaddy.com is great.  $9.95/ year for a .com domain.  I'm on my 2nd year, no probs at all.

--VT

By the way, your "sling thread" in the DIYS section kicked ass!  I've gotta build more.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Have no idea who to use.

Matt

One stop shopping and you build it yourself.
10 bucks a month including the domain name and the monthly hosting.www.interland.com/

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I own frayadjacent.com... used dyndns.org, and have a dynamic DNS entry, so that it will point my domain to my machine at home, even if my IP address changes.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I have used  www.dotster.com for about 5 years no problems
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#19]
dotster here too

no issues
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Okay, dumb question...

I registered my domain name with godaddy.

It shows up if I type montanafungun.com but not if I type www.montanafungun.com

did i do somehting wrong?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Per Godaddy, 'FNSCAR.COM' is available...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:00:35 AM EDT
[#23]
sort of, got a freebie one from www.no-ip.com
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Okay, dumb question...

I registered my domain name with godaddy.

It shows up if I type montanafungun.com but not if I type www.montanafungun.com

did i do somehting wrong?

MONTANAFUNGUN.COM
Name Server:  PARK19.SECURESERVER.NET PARK20.SECURESERVER.NET
ICANN Registrar:  GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
Created:  01-feb-2006
Expires:  01-feb-2007

Website Status:  not active

Well, you didn't do something wrong, it's just that you don't have an active web site.
You gotta create web-based content, then upload it to the server.

Get a geek/friend to create your first web page, and then buy Homesite or Frontpage to maintain and expand it.  BTW: There are web site creation classes you can take online for little $$

Cheers!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I think its up now....

www.montanafungun.com

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I think its up now....

www.montanafungun.com

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top