Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 3:44:26 PM EDT
I have a few questions. I am getting ready to purchase my first safe. Someone told me never put a gunsafe in a basement or over a basement. I live in a rancher. Where would the best place be to put a safe. I was going to put it in the basement, but by doing this I can only go as big a s a typical 24 gun safe because of the size of basement doorway and the way the door is situated. If I kept it in the main living level, (Wife has already put the hex on this one) I could go up in size, but then comes the issue of how much weight is too much for the floor. Hardwood floors with 2x8's underneath on 16" centers. Next option is the attached 2 car garage. I would definately be securing the safe to the floor if this was done, but what do you think about the temperature changes and such in a garage. Not heated, but gets some off the rest of the house. Not A/C'd in summer. If I can put it in the garage I could go MEGA big then. Any thoughts on this. I picked the Browning Bronze Series safe. Seems like a good quality safe for a good price. $800 for the textured 24 gun. 1200 deg. for 1/2hr. 530lbs empty and I can remove the door to shed weight to get it down the steps. Locking bolts on 3 sides of the door, so even if a bad guy goes to work on the hinges, door is still secure. Thanks for any help.  Terry
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a few questions. I am getting ready to purchase my first safe. Someone told me never put a gunsafe in a basement or over a basement. I live in a rancher. Where would the best place be to put a safe. I was going to put it in the basement, but by doing this I can only go as big a s a typical 24 gun safe because of the size of basement doorway and the way the door is situated. If I kept it in the main living level, (Wife has already put the hex on this one) I could go up in size, but then comes the issue of how much weight is too much for the floor. Hardwood floors with 2x8's underneath on 16" centers. Next option is the attached 2 car garage. I would definately be securing the safe to the floor if this was done, but what do you think about the temperature changes and such in a garage. Not heated, but gets some off the rest of the house. Not A/C'd in summer. If I can put it in the garage I could go MEGA big then. Any thoughts on this. I picked the Browning Bronze Series safe. Seems like a good quality safe for a good price. $800 for the textured 24 gun. 1200 deg. for 1/2hr. 530lbs empty and I can remove the door to shed weight to get it down the steps. Locking bolts on 3 sides of the door, so even if a bad guy goes to work on the hinges, door is still secure. Thanks for any help.  Terry

Obviously it depends on how much the safe weighs, and over what surface area that weight is distributed.

You can get away with putting most safes in your living level.  If possible put it near an outside corner.  I don't think you have to worry one bit about a 530 pound safe on your living level.  Imagine two fat dudes (like me) standing in the corner close to each other (not that way, you sickos.)  Would you be worried they'd suddenly fall through your floor?

If you're going to put it in the garage or basement, get a golden rod to help keep humidity out.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#3]
A golden rod doesn't keep out humidity, or prevent it.  It does prevent condensation by causing a temperature differential.  Garage is fine.  Oil your guns, use RIG for longer term storage, and think about silicon treated gun socks.  Bolt it to the floor using large hardware, 4 anchors, and lock any torch you might own inside.  It is good to disguise it with a curtain or plain door so it doesn't look like a safe when your door is open.  

Although I did once own a Browning, there are better safes than that for the money if you shop around.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Any other suggestions on safes? Looked into Cannon and Ft Knox, but the Browning is the best priced for me in my area. I can get the Browning right at a dealer I use and not pay shipping. The other dealers around here for the other brands have much higher prices over the internet dealers. But then I have to pay shipping. Plus, I like the fact I can take the door off the Browning in case I do have to fit it downstairs. Open for all suggestions though.  Terry
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... I can only go as big a s a typical 24 gun safe because of the size of basement doorway and the way the door is situated. ...

how about multiple small safes?

...and, no, I didn't read the other posts (sorry if someone else mentioned it).
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Any other suggestions on safes? Looked into Cannon and Ft Knox, but the Browning is the best priced for me in my area. I can get the Browning right at a dealer I use and not pay shipping. The other dealers around here for the other brands have much higher prices over the internet dealers. But then I have to pay shipping. Plus, I like the fact I can take the door off the Browning in case I do have to fit it downstairs. Open for all suggestions though.  Terry

I have a Liberty safe and love it.  My dad has a fort knox, and it's a very good safe as well.  I don't have experience with any others.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... I can only go as big a s a typical 24 gun safe because of the size of basement doorway and the way the door is situated. ...

how about multiple small safes?

...and, no, I didn't read the other posts (sorry if someone else mentioned it).

Well, If I am going to be putting the safes downstairs, that is my only option. I hate to do it like that though because the price increases are fairly small when jumping up to the bigger size safes, i.e. a 24 gun might be $900 and a 32 or 34 gun might only be $100-200 more.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#8]
There's nothing wrong with putting your safe in the basement, just make sure that you are aware of the extra concern that humidity presents.  Goldenrod + dessicants + dehumdifier + proper gun cleaning/oiling =
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#9]
BTW, anyone know how many locking bolts the Cannon C23 or C30 safes have? They just say they are 1", but don't say how many there are.  Thanks,  Terry
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top