Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 2:47:36 PM EDT
I thought I saw a post recently by someone looking for a Bulldog, but I've tried using Search and can't find it.
 A guy I know is wanting to give his away. Here's what he posted on another site in a thread titled "Free to good home. American Bulldog";

"Paid 700$ for him as a pup. Beautiful dog, male, all white with red patch over left eye. He is already 110 pounds and a good watch dog. Does not like strangers on the property but warms up after seeing them around a few times. I have a four year old that keeps getting knocked down and is just to big to have around. Guess I should have known better. He does well outside, I bring him in, in the evenings. Send me a pm if interested. I will post pics of him this evening.

He is up for his shots this month. No, I do not plan on updating them unless I go ahead and decide to keep him.  He was born October 2004, so a little over a year old. "

Here's a link;

www.cafeoutdoors.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=19863&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD

I can be a go-between for anyone interested.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I thought I saw a post recently by someone looking for a Bulldog, but I've tried using Search and can't find it.
 A guy I know is wanting to give his away. Here's what he posted on another site in a thread titled "Free to good home. American Bulldog";

"Paid 700$ for him as a pup. Beautiful dog, male, all white with red patch over left eye. He is already 110 pounds and a good watch dog. Does not like strangers on the property but warms up after seeing them around a few times. I have a four year old that keeps getting knocked down and is just to big to have around. Guess I should have known better. He does well outside, I bring him in, in the evenings. Send me a pm if interested. I will post pics of him this evening.

He is up for his shots this month. No, I do not plan on updating them unless I go ahead and decide to keep him.  He was born October 2004, so a little over a year old. "

What, is it the Target mascot?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump for a good home for the "pup".

He have a name?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Target dog.

Checking on the name........
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I want him, if you'll ship him. MO is a little far for me to travel.

I love bulldogs, the lady who used to pick me up from school had one and that was the best dog, sadly she climbed into a neighbors swimming pool and drowned.

Post some pics
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I want him, if you'll ship him. MO is a little far for me to travel.

I love bulldogs, the lady who used to pick me up from school had one and that was the best dog, sadly she climbed into a neighbors swimming pool and drowned.

Post some pics

This might be do-able. Let me check on it and get back to you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool, ask if he is good around other dogs
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#7]
LArifleMAN,

IM on the way with contact info.

The owner wants to talk with you first, to make sure Baron is going to a good home.

(I've already arranged for transportation, with a friend of mine. He's leaving the St. Louis area Saturday morning headed for LA. He takes 55 south to I-10, about 12 miles west of N.O.)
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:29:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Sweet the Dog found a new home!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Man I LOVE bulldogs...I wish I lived closer, I'd take him in a heartbeat..asuming he would be able to get along with my other dog. He would live like a king here at my place.
Im glad he is going to a good home though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#10]
LArifleMAN, you are aware of the difference in American and English Bulldogs, correct?

American Bulldogs are wonderful animals.  I don't know how old this dog is, but if he has not been socialized around other dogs, he could very well be extremely aggressive if challenged by other dogs.  My hound is the biggest baby in the world UNTIL another dog barks or growls and then she goes into "time to die" mode.  

The breed is wonderful with kids, but they're are a bit "bully" in that they don't know their own size or strength.  I would assume from the original owner, that this was the crux of their problem.  They are not a "gentle" dog like a lab, but they are damn near indestructable and very tolerant of people in general.

My American Bull is the best dog I have ever known.  Very protective of the kids, very loving and even tempered (except for the other dog thing, which is my fault).  

American Bulldog

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Cavu, that's what I was just looking at and I'm trying to make a descion.

My family owns a large piece of property, 60 acres +, and we own two other dogs.

I am in a delima at the moment
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:38:57 AM EDT
[#12]
The American bulldog, the APBT, the Staffordshire bull terrier,the American staffordshire terrier, are all great dogs. They all have negatives P.R. due to the thug life and the media. These dogs are very faithfull and protective animals. They also must have lots of human interaction(attention whores). We love our APBT she is a big baby. All these breeds do have a tendency to be dog aggressive, with strange dogs, so the dog park with a Bully breed is not a goood idea.

These dogs are really strong as they can pull almost 30 -40 times there body weight. Good luck on the home finding, hope it works out well.

We introduce a 12 week old puppy to our 1 year old APBT, we just supervised, the puppy was submissive, he knew who was the big dog, now they sleep together and are inseperable. Do not have the food/ feeding become an issue. Put a bowl for each pet down, far apart. That will help the food dominance issue.

I really wish I could have this fine animal, but I have three already.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Just to be clear, the American Bulldog and the American Pit Bull Terrier are not the same dog, right?

I have no  problem with Pits, it's just the negative PR is a little hard to look past.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Just to be clear, the American Bulldog and the American Pit Bull Terrier are not the same dog, right?

I have no  problem with Pits, it's just the negative PR is a little hard to look past.

Correct the American Bulldog and the APBT are not the same, they look almost the same, just a few differences. I never thought I would own a APBT, but it has been the best pet I have every owned. They are like children it is how they are raised and understanding the breed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#15]
LA,

I am not trying to talk you out of this dog.  Sounds like a good one.  All I am saying is that it might take some work to properly socialize him to other pets. It may not be necessary, but even if it is, it is not impossible to do no matter what the dogs age.  It will just take some work.  The breed is definitely "bull headed" and it takes some work to train them, but if you invest the time to properly train one, I guarantee you it will be the best dog you have ever owned.

My dog has never been around other dogs.  So her behavior is expected and it is generally not a problem.  I just have to be prepared if other dogs are around.    
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My family owns a large piece of property, 60 acres +, and we own two other dogs.

Did you get the IM I sent you this morning, and did you call the guy?

Not naggin' ya, but Saturday morning is coming up quickly.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you get the IM I sent you this morning, and did you call the guy?

Not naggin' ya, but Saturday morning is coming up quickly.

I got the IM, and will call him tomorrow morning, I'm in a bit of a dilema.

I want to give a could home, but I don't want there to be a conflict between him and our 2 female dogs. I would most likely have to get him fixed.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Snip here, snip there, you got it. [shrug]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#19]
generally speaking introducing a male into a pack of females would be easier than adding another female. But, then again the bull breeds tend to be aggresive towards other dogs. Our APBT did great with the 12 week old pup(male/nuetered), but he was submissive. How it would have turned out is he wanted to be dominant, I cannot say.

These animals will be a great pet, they are smart. They have tons of energy and really like to play. Once you develop a bond with these dogs, they are very loyal and protective. Just remeber that you as an owner must know this dog, when in attack mode will be more dangerous than almost any other dog. You just gotta train him, and keep him where you have control(back yard). Never let a small child walk this dog around the neighborhood, if provoked your child will not be able to stop the dog, these breeds can pull up to 4,000 pounds on flat ground.

If you have the time to spend with this dog, I feel you will have a different outlook on these breeds, and a great companion animal.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I feel like such a ass, the rest of the family does not want another dog so, my vote has be overidden.

I hope Baron finds a new home
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Up for grabs again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top