Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 1:22:16 PM EDT
Anybody know a way to stop pop-ups?  I have pop-up blockers and just install anti-virus software, but ever sice I got hooked up to DSL, I get the same pop-up add.

It is allways is for screen savers or free dinner, ect.  The browser bar says     duf    on it, but that hasn't helpped me to remove it.

Apperently it is bundled with some software I have, but I have installed any new software.  Could my ISP be doing this?

Thanks

Travis
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
it means you have trojan virus's  / spyware on your computer

ewido.net  for antitrojan  

adaware se personal for spyware
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#2]
SPYBOT SEARH AND DESTROY is also a good one
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Start by getting BOTH ADAWARE and SPOYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY.

Get both installed and run them.  Get rid of all the junk they find.

Next - Go to Yahoo (or Google if you really prefer) and add their tool bar which includeds a popup blocker.  You can also activate a free BETA of Microsoft windows spyware software and includes a nice little popup blocker also.

That should get you started.  Run your Virus program AS much as Possible and RUN AD-AWARE and or SPYBOT at least once a day if you can.

Best regards,
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#4]
also try bho demon

The big three to have:
avg antivirus
BHO demon
Spybot S&D

Plus, get firefox.

Oh, and a firewall too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, I have Anti-Spyware by Microsoft, and I have an Anti-Virus program also.  I also have Pop-Up blocker.

Like I said it seems to be bundled with some other software, so Anti-Spyware doesn't find it.

Is there some way to search for it?

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help,

Travis
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#6]
The problem:
As soon as you open up Internet Explorer you start to get pop up’s like mad, to the point of making
imposable to brows the web and in some cases, crashing you PC.

The fix:
Step 1
Download “Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition”
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button

If you can’t even bring this page up due to pop ups, click this.
http://www.houseofgraham.com/webutils/utils/aawsepersonal.exe

when this box comes up, click on “OPEN”

Install Ad-Aware SE
If you are installing Ad-Aware on Windows NT, 2000, or XP, please ensure that you have
administrative rights. Ad-Aware must be installed in an account that has adequate permissions to
perform its function. If you are unsure if you have the requisite permissions please contact your system
administrator or refer to your computer's user guide before proceeding.

2. Welcome Screen
Press "Next" to continue to the license Agreement Screen
Please read the license agreement before you proceed. When you have completed reviewing
the agreement and if you agree to the terms, click the checkbox next to "I accept the license
agreement" and press "Next" to continue with the installation of the software.
3. Uninstall previous versions of Ad-Aware
Ad-Aware SE may not function correctly if old versions are not removed prior to installing a
new version or an upgrade. To ensure proper installation and operation of Ad-Aware SE
please make sure "Yes, uninstall previous version of Ad-Aware. (Recommended)" is
selected and click "Next" to continue.
a. Ad-Aware Plug-in Uninstall pop-up
You might get a grey pop-up asking if you want to uninstall the plug-ins for the previous
version of Ad-Aware. Click "Yes" to remove the old plug-ins and continue the uninstall
process.
b. Select Uninstall method
Select "Automatic" and click "Next".
c. Perform Uninstall
Click finish to complete uninstalling your old version of Ad-Aware.
d. Uninstall Successful!
Click "Next" to continue with the installation of Ad-Aware SE Personal.
4. Destination Location
Click "Next" to accept the default location or use "Browse" to specify where you want Ad-
Aware SE Personal installed.
5. Install to All Users menu
If you have multiple user accounts on your system choose "Anyone who uses this
computer" and click "Next".
6. Start Installation
Click "Next" to start installing Ad-Aware SE Personal onto your computer.After the copying of
files you will get a confirmation that the installation was successful.
7. Installation successful
Click "Finish" to complete the installation process. You now have the option to "Update the
definition file", "Run a full system scan" and "Open the help file now".

Performing your first scan
Before you scan your computer with Ad-Aware SE for the first time you should run WebUpdate to
make sure that you have the latest definition file. It is also recommended to have Ad-Aware set to
automatically quarantine files prior to removal. Click on the "Settings" button (gear symbol in the upper
right corner of the main status screen) in the quick launch toolbar to open the General settings screen.
Check the "Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal" setting and then click "Proceed" to
save your changes.
When this is done you are ready to perform your first scan. Click the "Scan now" button in the main
menu on the left side of the main status screen or use the "Start" button in lower right corner. This will
open the Preparing System Scan screen. Select "Perform Full System scan" and click "Next" to start
your first scan.
After the scan is completed you will be presented with a detailed listing of the items that were detected.
Please be sure to review each item that has been presented in the results screen before removing
them. Ad-Aware is designed to report possible suspicious content present on your system and to allow
you a simple method for removing it should you so decide.
Click the "Next" button on the Scan Complete screen to view the Scanning Results. Select the objects
you want to remove by selecting them in the scan results lists or right click to select multiple items by
using the context menu. Click "Next" and then "OK" in the pop-up window to confirm the removal.

Now for part 2, to finish the job
After deleting all the files it found, reboot you PC.  After rebooting, the first thing you will need to do is re-run
the scan.
DO NOT OPEN A BROWSER YET!
Running it a 2nd time right after reboot will insure it did not miss any of the nasty pop up files.
Delete anything else it finds in this scan.

At this point you should be safe to open a browser, the 1st page you will want to open is one that will help
Stop this from happening in the future.

And just fallow the web based instructions from there.

Here are a few other good anti spyware programs you can use.

Spybot - Search & Destroy
http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10401314.html?tag=lst-0-1

Microsoft® Windows AntiSpyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh and another thing, my browser doesn't have to be open to get this Pop-Up.

If that helps or means anything?

Travis
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#8]
also make sure u have ALL windows updates..
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey Ringmember, The Pop-Ups aren't that bad, and it doesn't start immediately.  It is only one Pop-Up, unless I close it, then in 10 to 20 minutes it will come back.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Stumpped and annoyed,

Travis
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Been using Firefox for 2 years now maybe, pop-ups are a thing of the past
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hey Ringmember, The Pop-Ups aren't that bad, and it doesn't start immediately.  It is only one Pop-Up, unless I close it, then in 10 to 20 minutes it will come back.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Stumpped and annoyed,

Travis

same fix...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Been using Firefox for 2 years now maybe, pop-ups are a thing of the past

I am using Firefox as we speak, and I just had to close a pop up.  The pop ups open in IE, not Firefox.  I have tried XoftSpy, AdAware, SpyBot, and am now trying ewido.net.  I will let you know how the ewido works out.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#13]
If your getting constant pop ups, you've got a virus. It has nothing to do with using IE or Firefox, except for how it got there to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#14]
You have a virus, or some other piece of junk. Go to www.trendmicro.com and run their on line spyware and virus checker cleaner.  Along with Adware, Spybot etc. Then download and install www.secretmaker.com  this will keep a clean system clean. Also you can easily control what will be allowed or blocked. Plus it keeps everything clean!

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It means it's not a "Pop-up" - it's probably a Messenger window.  You need to disable the Windows Messenger Service.  Get a router and that will stop these, too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:45:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It means it's not a "Pop-up" - it's probably a Messenger window.  You need to disable the Windows Messenger Service.  Get a router and that will stop these, too.

Ok I just tried to do that, and it was allready disabled, and I do have a router.  I will see today if this gets any better.

I may have to call Geek Squad!

Travis

Thanks to everyone for your help.  Virus scan says I don't have a virus, I still think it may be comming from ISP.  Is that possible?

Travis
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:46:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Then download and install www.secretmaker.com  this will keep a clean system clean. Also you can easily control what will be allowed or blocked. Plus it keeps everything clean!

I must have done something wrong ... that Secret Maker program locked up my Internet connection.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top