Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2006 12:00:50 PM EDT
Since the doomsayers are of the opinion that the Earth cannot sustain our long-term demand for natural resources, do you think it  would be "possible" to send a rocket into space, let down a light-weight, super-strong rope back to Earth and then proceed to the moon where the remainder of the rope could be anchored?

We would have a permanent means to transport moon minerals back to Earth with a low-cost transportation system (after the initial capital investment of sending a rope to the moon).  We could send minerals home and people back to the moon on the rope like they use to take skiers to the mountaintop.

Perhaps I should write NASA with my idea.  Perhaps I should apply for a patent??

lawdog
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there oil there?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Is there a cheese shortage I am unaware of?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope you are kidding.  

You do realize the the moon orbits around the Earth?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Reminds me of the reason why I stopped watching Nova, when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope. Try learning about a thing called 'planetary rotation' and 'orbital mechanics' sometime, maybe you'll see why.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#6]
A fucking rope?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Moons Compostion
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#8]
the answer is no.

and you can't make hamburgers out of ground beef, either.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh yea... I forgot something.  It may not work because the moon revolved around the earth every 28 days.  The rope would probably get tied up around the equator and bring the moon to close to the Earth.  I guess it's possible (is it??) to have geosyntric (sp) communication with the moon as long as the rope doesn't get tangled up on one of the Earth's largest mountains.

I might have to think more on this one before applying for the patent.

lawdog
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#10]
The best you can hope for is the Space Elevator.

Space Elevator

What is a Space Elevator?
A space elevator is a physical connection from the surface of the Earth, or another planetary body such as Mars, to a geostationary Earth orbit (GEO - In the case of Earth) above the Earth at roughly 35,786 km in altitude.

It is hoped that someday a space elevator would be utilized as a transportation and utility system for moving people, payloads, power, and gases between the surface of the Earth and space. It makes the physical connection from Earth to space in the same way a bridge connects two cities across a body of water. (Source: NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, Advanced Space Infrastructure Workshop on Geostationary Orbiting Tether Space Elevator Concepts, slightly modified)
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#11]
As you finally realized, the moon isn't in geosync orbit - so it won't work as described.

you would be transferring mass from the moon to the earth

at some point, you could really mess up the orbit
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#12]
One big problem with the space elevator is that due to the conservation of momentum, the higher you went the faster the rope you are on would be traveling.  Your inertia would then slow that part of the rope down, causing a gigantic wave in the rope to form.  The only way to compensate for that is to have some sort of balancing rocket that is carried with the cargo.

Just as when a skater brings his/her limbs in and spins faster, and then slows down drastically when the limbs are extended.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Oh yea... I forgot something.  It may not work because the moon revolved around the earth every 28 days.  The rope would probably get tied up around the equator and bring the moon to close to the Earth.  I guess it's possible (is it??) to have geosyntric (sp) communication with the moon as long as the rope doesn't get tangled up on one of the Earth's largest mountains.

I might have to think more on this one before applying for the patent.

lawdog

Also, where the HELL would you get a 4.06x10^6 rope? And how would you deal with the difference between apogee and perigee?

Also, the moon revolves around its rotational axis every ~27 d 7 h 43 m, and orbits around the Earth every 29 d 12 h 44 m.

If you can figure out a way to do it, patent hell, you'll be a shoo-in for a NOBEL.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#15]
This has got to be the dumbest idea I've ever heard. The moon does not have the resources we need, and if it did it would be far too dangerous and expensive to go get them to make it worthwhile.

No, we need to look for other planets to strip mine if it comes to that. I have other plans for the moon. Specifically, it's going to be blown up ala Mount Rushmore and carved into a likeness of my head for all to see. With huge lights installed in the eyes so they glow at night.

Orwell had it all wrong. Big Brother Is Watching You posters are nice and all, but a giant fucking head with glowing eyes staring at you from orbit? That's class.

And you, for one, should support me, your new overlord.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#16]
you REALLY don't want to mess with the moon too much.

in fact, in the moon suddenly disappeared, it is quite likely that all life on earth would die.

what would happen if the moon did not exist?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:20:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

No, we need to look for other planets ASTEROIDS to strip mine if it comes to that. .

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Uranus doesnt have much in resources we can use either.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, we need to look for other planets ASTEROIDS to strip mine if it comes to that. .

I assume you are referring to nickel-iron asteroids rather than the ones made of silicon and other materials, right? Don't we have all the iron we need right here? It's other resources we lack. Radioactive elements, petroleum products, etc. are what we'd be looking for. Common metals likely wouldn't be worth all the effort, expense, and danger of sending people into space, mining out the materials, smelting it all down and shaping it into a transportable object, then sending back to earth. Unless there was, like, a hundred metric fucktons of the stuff in each shipment, making it completely unneccesary to ever mine it on earth again. And then how would you safely land it? Can't let it come in too fast or it's a ballistic projectile, really difficult to slow down that much mass, etc. And it's going to be hard to let it touch down in the ocean since it generally sinks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
you REALLY don't want to mess with the moon too much.

in fact, in the moon suddenly disappeared, it is quite likely that all life on earth would die.

what would happen if the moon did not exist?

That website isn't very well, it exaggerates, and Mars is NOT tilted at 60 degrees.  Its tilt is almost exactly that of the Earth - 25 degrees, 11 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Jeebus people.. It's a joke!!

It.  is.  a.  joke... right?  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Nah, no need to at all. Humanity has barely used the surface of the earth. There is so much unused/underutilitzed land out there. Then there's subterranean dwellings. Plus we haven't even begun to colonize the oceans. There's plenty of room.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#23]
space elevator would use nano-tubes, not ropes......
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#24]
If there were pure gold bars sitting on the surface of the moon in piles, we would lose money going to get them.  It costs a LOT of money to go to the moon.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#25]
You know, I too am a product of the Alabama public education system but I'm not even close to this level of stupidity.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Are you going to finance it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top