Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 18
Posted: 1/31/2006 8:41:21 AM EDT
This guy was speeding and then fled, apparently.  http://www.nbc4.tv/news/6604502/detail.html

CHINO, Calif. -- An Air Force Police Officer on leave from Iraq remains in critical condition Tuesday after he was shot by a San Bernardino County Sheriff's deputy in an incident that is now under investigation.                                                                                                                 According to deputies, a chase occured after a driver refused to pull over just before 10:30 Sunday night in Chino.                                                    

Residents and deputies observed a blue Corvette racing through a Chino neighborhood at more than 100 mph. There was a brief pursuit before the driver crashed into a fence. A resident of the area grabbed his home video camera.  "I don't know exactly what kind of footage he has on his videotape," said Jodi Miller with the San Bernardino County Sheriff Department.                          

The tape is in the possession of the sheriff's department.                                                                                                                Ilio Carreon, who was a passenger in the car, was recovering Monday from surgery after the confrontation.                                                                      

Relatives who saw a portion of the tape tell NBC4 that Carreon was calm, in control and cooperating with the deputy.                                                  

NBC4 reports that at 10:21 p.m. the sheriff's deputy radio dispatched that he was holding a suspect at gunpoint.                                                              
At 10:26 p.m. neighbors say they heard four gunshots.                                                                                                              

"He was getting out of the car with his hands up and that's when his friend started running. Since my husband was surrendering, they shot him. They shot him on          
the shoulder, on the chest and the leg," said the victim's wife Mariela Carreon.                                                                                          

Relatives don't believe Carreon would have carried a weapon, even though he is an MP with the Air Force. Carreon was home on leave from Iraq and had been out with friends Sunday night.                                                                                                                                                            

Relatives tell NBC4 that Carreon always carried his military badge and ID with him and he may have been shot reaching for those items in his pocket.                        

The driver of the car was arrested and charged with felony evading. The deputy who was on patrol was not injured and is on administrative leave.      
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#1]
what about the dog
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#2]
tag for the shitstorm

I wonder if we'll hear the same things we did when a sailor was shot in Maryland by a cop or if everyone will wait for some more information.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#3]
tag for the tape
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Not enough information right now for me to make a constuctive comment, but it sounds like a trigger happy cop to me.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I hope he made a copy of that tape before it dissappears...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Not good.

Max
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:54:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Meh, he was an MP....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#9]
IBTJBTA
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Tag fo details . You wacky AF guys .
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Meh, he was an MP....

Security Forces
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#13]
More Cop on Cop violence.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I forsee that this thread will end badly.

I would like to know if the AFSP was the passenger or the driver of the vette.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Ilio Carreon, who was a passenger in the car
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
tag for the shitstorm

I wonder if we'll hear the same things we did when a sailor was shot in Maryland by a cop or if everyone will wait for some more information.

Are you talking about the story where the Fed shot the sailor in the back and killed him after losing a fight the Fed started from road rage?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#17]
so they shot the guy that was the passenger who stayed put with his arms up, not the driver that fled. And they shot him 3 times
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted: According to deputies, a chase occured after a driver refused to pull over just before 10:30 Sunday night in Chino. Residents and deputies observed a blue Corvette racing through a Chino neighborhood at more than 100 mph.  ... "He was getting out of the car with his hands up and that's when his friend started running. Since my husband was surrendering, they shot him. They shot him on the shoulder, on the chest and the leg," said the victim's wife Mariela Carreon.
Damn! That USAF MP should track down the driver after he gets out of the hospital and shoot him! The driver caused him to get shot by the cops.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:44:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ilio Carreon, who was a passenger in the car

Missed that line.

So Carreon wasn't doing anything at all, other than hanging out with a bad driver.

Cop fucked up.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#20]
TAG!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag for the shitstorm

Are you talking about the story where the Fed shot the sailor in the back and killed him after losing a fight the Fed started from road rage?

That would be the one.

The JBTAs went on at length about how cops are much more thorougly screened than military so it must have been the .mil guy's fault. I'm waiting for that here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Another link:  LINK

Video Shows Officer Shooting Airman

CHINO, Calif. — A videotape released Tuesday shows a sheriff's deputy shooting an unarmed Air Force policeman who recently returned from Iraq as he appeared to obey an order to get up off the ground.

KTLA-TV broadcast a 40-second clip it said came from a Chino resident who videotaped Sunday night's shooting, which followed a 100 mph car chase.

Senior Airman Elio Carrion, 21, was listed in good condition at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton. He was shot three times in the chest, ribs and leg, his father-in-law, Ernesto Paz, told KTLA-TV.

Carrion was a passenger in a Corvette that crashed into a wall following the brief chase, authorities said.

The dark, grainy videotape shows Carrion lying on the ground next to the car, talking to a silhouetted officer who is pointing a gun at him. Carrion supports himself on one arm and his face is brightly lit by the officer's flashlight.

Carrion is heard telling the officer he is unarmed and is in the military.

At one point, a voice is heard saying several times: "Get up."

Carrion says: "I'm gonna get up." As he rose, at least four shots were fired and Carrion collapsed.

Investigators from the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department took the original tape, refusing to release it to the public or describe what it shows.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#23]

He was shot three times in the chest, ribs and leg, his father-in-law, Ernesto Paz, told KTLA-TV.

Good thing the officer only had a 9.  

Investigators from the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department took the original tape, refusing to release it to the public or describe what it shows.

Given this article I can only wonder why.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Damn! That USAF MP should track down the driver after he gets out of the hospital and shoot him! The driver caused him to get shot by the cops.

I agree to a point. It is the drivers fault that they were placed in this situation to begin with, but it is the cop's fault for shooting a passenger of a fleeing car that was surrendering THREE TIMES
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#25]
sounds like a load of bullshit to me...cop needs to fry...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
CHINO, Calif. — A videotape released Tuesday shows a sheriff's deputy shooting an unarmed Air Force policeman who recently returned from Iraq as he appeared to obey an order to get up off the ground.

<snip>

The dark, grainy videotape shows Carrion lying on the ground next to the car, talking to a silhouetted officer who is pointing a gun at him. Carrion supports himself on one arm and his face is brightly lit by the officer's flashlight.

Carrion says: "I'm gonna get up." As he rose, at least four shots were fired and Carrion collapsed.

This cop deserves to be charged with attempted murder, but it appears that the cover up is already well under way:

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like a bad shoot wtf was he thinking that hes shot him numerous times. Thank god hes still alive.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Another link:  LINK

Video Shows Officer Shooting Airman

KTLA-TV broadcast a 40-second clip it said came from a Chino resident who videotaped Sunday night's shooting, which followed a 100 mph car chase.

Senior Airman Elio Carrion, 21, was listed in good condition at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton. He was shot three times in the chest, ribs and leg, his father-in-law, Ernesto Paz, told KTLA-TV.

Carrion was a passenger in a Corvette that crashed into a wall following the brief chase, authorities said.

Well, assuming this is true, this sounds bad...but nonetheless...IBTPA...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#29]
So far, it does not sound like it's in the cops favor. Also it sounds like the MP did not get up as fast as the cop wanted him to.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I wonder what a "brief chase" is... could that just be the time it takes to decellerate and pull over safely, after seeing the LEO vehicles? Did the LEO vehicle ram the corvette into the wall?  100mph... hmm not fast really for a corvette's ability to handle and manuver. "Crashed" into the wall... must not have been that fast or hard given both passengers walked away from the collission... did airbags deploy even?

I smell busllshit, trigger happy LEO made a grave error.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I can't wait to find out the real truth of the matter.................
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#33]
I would like to know if the service guy deserved to get shot. Only the outcome would tell.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

He was shot three times in the chest, ribs and leg, his father-in-law, Ernesto Paz, told KTLA-TV.

Good thing the officer only had a 9.  

Given this article I can only wonder why.  

Maybe because the shooting is under investigation.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
From what little is out there I does sound bad for the cop.  However as a cop I find it hard to believe it happened as follows.

Cop:  "Get up off the ground."
Badguy:  "I'm getting up."

Cop:  BANG, BANG, BANG!!!

There has to be something else going on.  Also if I have someone proned out I never tell him to get up.  I handcuff him and then search him and THEN I help him up to put him in my car.  I don't see a cop telling a guy to get up after a 100 MPH chase and when his passenger ran off.

Excuse me, but this man is an Iraqi Freedom vet and an active duty member of the United States Air Force. He was simply a passenger in a vehilce that was speeding and the evidence that has been presented seems to show that he was cooperating with the police officer and made no effort to resist or disobey the officer's instructions. Oh, and even if he is being accused of a crime he has not been given his day in court and in this country people are innocent until PROVEN GUILTY IN A COURT OF LAW. It might be wise to refrain from refering to this man as a "badguy".

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
From what little is out there I does sound bad for the cop.  However as a cop I find it hard to believe it happened as follows.

There has to be something else going on.  Also if I have someone proned out I never tell him to get up.  I handcuff him and then search him and THEN I help him up to put him in my car.  I don't see a cop telling a guy to get up after a 100 MPH chase and when his passenger ran off.

Excuse me, but this man is an Iraqi Freedom vet and an active duty member of the United States Air Force. He was simply a passenger in a vehilce that was speeding and the evidence that has been presented seems to show that he was cooperating with the police officer and made no effort to resist or disobey the officer's instructions. Oh, and even if he is being accused of a crime he has not been given his day in court and in this country people are innocent until PROVEN GUILTY IN A COURT OF LAW. It might be wise to refrain from refering to this man as a "badguy".

Please tell me you haven't come to expect such generalizations from the PAs.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry but it is my life on the line.  Anybody that runs from me at 100 MPH is a BADGUY until I determine him otherwise.  It is not normal nor reasonable to run from the police at 100 MPH and then run from the car when you stop unless you have done something to cause you to run.

I call lots of people suspects but later find that they are innocent.  Sorry but that is the way it is.

Also being a vet and/or an active duty service member does not mean you are exempt from committing crimes and/or being a badguy.

Maybe not, but lying prone on the ground next to the vehicle does make you exempt from running from the car.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Don't have time to deal with the usual hysteria, but I will make two points.  He's NOT an MP.  He is also NOT an "Air Force Policeman" there is no such thing.  He's an Air Force SP.   Mostly a Security Guard.

Lastly, he cannot be "reaching for a badge". They are not issued one, and (before the next objection) are not permitted off duty carry.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry but it is my life on the line.  Anybody that runs from me at 100 MPH is a BADGUY until I determine him otherwise.  It is not normal nor reasonable to run from the police at 100 MPH and then run from the car when you stop unless you have done something to cause you to run.

I call lots of people suspects but later find that they are innocent.  Sorry but that is the way it is.

Also being a vet and/or an active duty service member does not mean you are exempt from committing crimes and/or being a badguy.

he didn't run. He was a passenger in the car and surrendered as soon as he was able to get out. It was the driver that ran off
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

To be clear here and as I read it (honestly)..... this guy was the passenger and did not run, correct? If what I am reading is the way it happened, then why would you still consider him the BADGUY after reading the transcript from the video? Just wondering...  

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Don't have time to deal with the usual hysteria, but I will make two points.  He's NOT an MP.  He is also NOT an "Air Force Policeman" there is no such thing.  He's an Air Force SP.   Mostly a Security Guard.

Lastly, he cannot be "reaching for a badge". They are not issued one, and (before the next objection) are not permitted off duty carry.

Mostly a security guard with police powers on .mil installations.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#45]
I was a passenger in a car going 100mph once.

I guess that makes me a "bad guy" wtf???????
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I was a passenger in a car going 100mph once.

I guess that makes me a "bad guy" wtf???????

Watch out, that may get you capped....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

A couple minor corrections:

It's called Security Forces.  And the career field covers security (pretty much normal guard stuff), law enforcement (on base property), and combat arms (running the range and qualifications for everyone).

And they do have a badge of sorts.  In their blues they wear a "badge" on their left breast pocket.  I could see someone putting one in their wallet, just in case.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Cop -vs- Soldier.

Hmm, who will Arfcom side with.........
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
so they shot the guy that was the passenger who stayed put with his arms up, not the driver that fled. And they shot him 3 times

It was easier.

ETA:  So they shoot you when you don't get up?  Suppose you can't get up? I'll be 59 tomorrow, and I don't think I could just jump up like a 20 year old.  So, I'm going to be shot, I suppose.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Actually, they are SF now.

Security Forces

But who cares?  He was still an MP-like person.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top