Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2006 5:41:24 AM EDT
when we all know and can see the signs that guns are not allowed there.  I mean if there is a law thats says guns are not allowed that should stop everyone from taking them there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:43:11 AM EDT
[#1]
#1 -  there aren't many shootings at post offices.   when's the last time you heard of one?

#2 - the sign says you can't carry for 'unlawful' purposes.   Many believe that means you can lawfully CCW
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:44:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:46:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Ex-Postal Employee Kills Six, Then Herself.

WoW!   I stand corrected
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:46:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
#1 -  there aren't many shootings at post offices.   when's the last time you heard of one?

Yeah......that's why there is a term "going postal"

Maybe there aren't as many as before because all the crazy bastards that worked there already have "gone postal".

ETA.....looks like there are still some left.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:51:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yeah......that's why there is a term "going postal"

Because they used to have a problem.   The postal service made a lot of changes, I thought they had the problem solved, but after this mornings news, guess not.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:53:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll bet a bucket of Wolf 223 cases that the shooter was on Prozac or Paxil.  that stuff is bad juju.

Ops
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:14:26 AM EDT
[#8]
cause law abiding people don't carry when they walk in.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:18:34 AM EDT
[#9]
During the Eighties, there was a spate of USPS employee shootings. The phrase "going postal" came out of that. The US Postal Service made proactive measures to prevent future shootings and dealing with the root cause of the disgruntled employees. In the 90's and up until now, they have done a pretty good job.

It's pretty sad news. Here's a pic with Santa Barbara PD SWAT.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:25:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
During the Eighties, there was a spate of USPS employee shootings. The phrase "going postal" came out of that. The US Postal Service made proactive measures to prevent future shootings and dealing with the root cause of the disgruntled employees. In the 90's and up until now, they have done a pretty good job.

It's pretty sad news. Here's a pic with Santa Barbara PD SWAT.
msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060131/060131_post_hmed_330a.hmedium.jpg

Those measures may have been "proactive" WRT future shootings, but in absolute terms they were obviously reactive.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:26:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Here is a short CNN.com article:

link

Notable because there is a link to the CNN video clip of the aftermath statements.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#12]
It's hard to get rid of crummy (or slightly eccentric) Civil Service employees.  It's hard to get rid of crummy (loopy) Union employees.  Add them together and it's almost impossible.  Add in a variety of employee assistance programs which add some limited immunity for marginal substance abusing employees and really stressful conditions and you have the menu for whackos exploding.

This one was at least 2 years out of the job..  Remember this was a processing plant and not a post office so she was interacting with machines all day.

or Womens Lib?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#13]
What does the flag at half staff in front of a Post Office mean?

Job openings!

BTW: I was told that my postman today!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:06:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What does the flag at half staff in front of a Post Office mean?
Job openings!

BTW: I was told that my postman today!

I'd be like: "Is that a threat, motherfucker?!?"  

Either that, or I'd tip him/her real well on holidays!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#15]
The dregs of society work there.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#16]
[newman]Because the mail never stops you get it out and more comes in and the more you get out you get more in and then there is publisher's clearing house day[/newman]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Because some people still cannot get the zip code numbers right, and it simply drives postal employees over the edge.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#18]
The real reason is that VIDEO GAME, "POSTAL".  VIDEO GAMES make people kill one another!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#19]
We had a big one in Oklahoma several years back.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I haven't heard any comments about 9mm vs 45.  She in fact used a 9mm.    Hmmmm   seemed like it did the trick  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The dregs of society work there.  

The dregs are allowed to work there.
Many supervisors do not have the time to give 30, 60 and 90 day (probational period)
evaluations, therfore the dregs slip through the cracks.
Former PO Supervisor here.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#22]
i shipped a rifle usps early yesterday.    there were no signs prohibiting firearms on the outside of the building, or on the doors.

i probably looked pretty stupid staring at the door at all the stickers in the window  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#23]
You get lots of less than stellar employees that work there and management does expect them to work.

(How dare they)
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Anyone have the jpeg of the letter the postal service sent to the developers of th video game "Postal?"
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
[newman]Because the mail never stops you get it out and more comes in and the more you get out you get more in and then there is publisher's clearing house day[/newman]

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Good thing California has such tough gun laws, otherwise someone might really have been hurt.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I generally don't agree with you, however that's an adroit observation.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Anyone have the jpeg of the letter the postal service sent to the developers of th video game "Postal?"

I loved that game, especially #2, too bad I couldnt find cheat codes to jump to the last "day"/level (when all the weapons are available) and really unleash carnage.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'll bet a bucket of Wolf 223 cases that the shooter was on Prozac or Paxil.  that stuff is bad juju.

Ops

Sounds like the problem is she wasn't on Prozac or Paxil.  Sounds like she's been mentally deranged for quite some time.

Cops: Postal Shooter May Have Killed Neighbor

GOLETA, Calif. — A woman who went on a suicidal rampage inside a mail processing plant, killing six employees, may also have killed a former neighbor shortly before the attack, sheriff's officials said Wednesday.

The sixth employee, who had been hospitalized in critical condition, died Wednesday morning.

A possible seventh victim was found dead Tuesday from a gunshot wound to the head at a Santa Barbara condominium complex where the shooter, former postal employee Jennifer Sanmarco, once lived, said Lt. Jeff Klapakis, of the Santa Barbara County sheriff's department.

Klapakis said the victim, identified by her brother as Beverly Graham, 54, died on Monday.

"We are investigating it as being the beginning of this rampage," said sheriff's Sgt. Erik Raney.

Raney said a neighbor reported hearing a gunshot about 8:20 p.m. Monday.

About half an hour later, authorities said, Sanmarco fatally shot six postal employees at the Goleta mail processing plant before committing suicide in what is believed to be the deadliest workplace shooting by a woman.

U.S. Postal Inspector Randy DeGasperin said "chances are" she knew the people she was shooting.

DeGasperin said Sanmarco had left the mail facility on a medical leave in 2003 after her co-workers expressed concerns she might hurt herself. He said police removed her from the building one time.

"She was not making any threats or anything of that nature," DeGasperin said. "It was more for her safety."

Interviews with authorities in this picturesque coastal community and with people in New Mexico, where Sanmarco moved in 2004, paint a picture of a woman who exhibited increasingly bizarre behavior after losing her job.

"We weren't sure what she was going to do next," said Terri Gallegos, deputy clerk for the city of Milan, N.M., where Sanmarco applied for a business license in 2004 for a publication called "The Racist Press" that she said she planned to launch. Another time she said she wanted to register a cat food business.

During one meeting, Gallegos said, Sanmarco carried on a conversation with herself "like she was arguing with someone but there was no one there."

Last March, office workers called authorities after the 44-year-old woman made what Gallegos described as a rude allegation. Other times, Gallegos said, Sanmarco would come in and simply stare at one employee in particular.

In June, police in nearby Grants talked to her after someone at a gas station called to complain of nudity, Police Chief Marty Vigil said. Sanmarco was dressed when officers arrived.

Graham had also noticed unusual behavior, her brother Les Graham told The Associated Press.

He said his sister had complained about a woman who "used to come out and rant and rave in front of her building." The family suspects that Sanmarco was the neighbor and his sister's killer, he said.

Monday night, Sanmarco entered the sprawling Santa Barbara Processing and Distribution Center by driving through a gate behind another car, police said. She gained entry to the building by taking an employee's identification badge at gunpoint. That worker was not hurt.

Only about 80 of the approximately 300 people who work at the mail-sorting center were there when Sanmarco arrived.

"According to witnesses from the scene, she had a 9 mm pistol and reloaded at least once during her rampage," said Santa Barbara County Sheriff James Anderson.

Killed were Ze Fairchild, 37, and Maleka Higgins, 28, both of Santa Barbara; Nicola Grant, 42, and Guadalupe Swartz, 52, both of Lompoc; and Dexter Shannon, 57, of Oxnard.

Charlotte Colton, 44, of Santa Barbara died of her injuries Wednesday morning, said Teresa Rounds, spokeswoman for Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital.

Higgins had just returned from maternity leave. "She was a talker. There was not a moment she was quiet," colleague and friend Lexi Bushnell told the Santa Barbara News-Press. "She loved to lighten things up."

Swartz was emerging from a dark period after losing her husband, Donald, three years ago to cancer, according to friend Darlene Skura. "She was becoming more active, starting to get on with her life," Skura told the Los Angeles Times in Wednesday's editions.

Grant's neighbors said it was not uncommon to see the married mother of two shooting hoops with her children. "She was such a joy," said friend and neighbor Leslie Brown. "When you talked to her, she just glowed."

It was the deadliest shooting at any workplace since 2003, when 48-year-old Doug Williams gunned down 14 co-workers, killing six, at a Lockheed Martin aircraft parts plant in Meridian, Miss., before turning the gun on himself.

It was the first lethal shooting at a postal installation in nearly eight years and one of the deadliest since a string of high-profile cases in the 1980s and '90s — including one in which a part-time letter carrier killed 14 people in Edmond, Okla., before taking his own life.

James Alan Fox, a criminologist at Northeastern University, said he believed it might be the deadliest workplace shooting ever carried out by a woman.

"Men, more than women, tend to view their self-worth by what they do" at work, Fox said. Men also are more prone to use violence in seeking revenge while "women tend to view murder as a last resort," he said.

According to federal statistics, 12.3 percent of homicides are committed by women.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Good thing California has such tough gun laws, otherwise someone might really have been hurt.  

You mean the ones that virtually assured all the law-abiding victims would be unarmed and, therefore, defenseless?

P.S. I know you were being sarcastic; I was feeding off of it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Because some people still cannot get the zip code numbers right, and it simply drives postal employees over the edge.

I used to work at UPS sorting for them and that is so right. We would get at least 4 bad zips a shift, it was pretty funny how well we could spot them, they always stuck out. The shift was only 4 hours long, and if it was an 8 hour shift I could deffinatly understand people going nuts. There was always a constant yelling back and forth between the supervisors and the workers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I blame the gun
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted: The dregs of society work there.
Those employees are good enough for 'gubment work.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Here are some pics of the shooter and the victims as publish in the San Fran. Chronicle:
Deaths in Calif. Shootings Rise to Eight
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I blame the gun

Agreed.  If the gun didn't have enough sense not to associate with the likes of her crazy ass, he deserves whatever he's got coming to him.  Think they'll melt him down, since they can't actually electrocute in CA anymore?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Why are there so many shootings at Post office?

Because...that is where they "sort" it all out.

Ba ding
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top