Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 9:42:24 PM EDT
Damn things always give me headache. Gonna have a beer and eat some pizza!

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Where are you flying out of?  Lemme guess... Hurlburt?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Patrick. Flying in a Huey

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#3]
   Not to be a dick, but are you sure you had them focused correctly?  Even the slightest bump can sometimes take them slightly out of focus and the ensuing eye strain can cause people to have a headache afterwards...  
   I have flown many goggle missions and have often been tired at the end, but never once had a headache.  Had always been taught to plus up my diopters as much as possible and to always spend any extra time ensuring the proper setup my of ANVIS-6s...

Copperhead
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#4]
and BOY, are your eyes tired?

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Gee, I dont own any NVD's, and cant afford them.

My sympathy for you knows no bounds.........
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Aviator

I know that smeone already said it, but...

Are you sure your Diopters set up right?..

I have flown (medic), and done land nav for hours at a time, and used to get hella headaches, I also wear glasses, so once I figured out how to get them dialed in it was much better. I own PVS 7B's now and have no prob's. other than back when I had to wear them with the issue headgear and trying to stuff them under a Kevlar, or a CVC, that would give me pain.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Patrick. Flying for the DOS Air Wing.

Aviator

Patrick is nice. I was there this very week 20 years ago with a bunch of reserve Marines. Our 53's were tasked to search for Challenger debris. Coincidently, the reservists were scheduled for AT.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Aviator

I always hated driving down tank trails at night with them.
Every shadow looked like a hole, every hole like a shadow.

No depth perception. I wish they would hurry up and perfect the next gen.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
   Not to be a dick, but are you sure you had them focused correctly?

That's the first thing I thought when I read you post Aviator.  Although I've never heard of plusing up the diopters as much as possible.  I do know that if they're not focused right it will feel as if somebody is trying to drive a hatchet into your skull at the end of the sortie.  Just remember when you stick your head in the tester to adjust your goggles using the front knob first, then the diopter, and then back to the front.  shoot for 20/25 and you should be money.  Another thing that will give you a headache it not having them aligned with your eyes.  I'm always dicking with my goggles during the flight so this is something you'll have to figure out on your own.  just make sure that you see one circle as if you're looking down a pair of binoculars.  

Watch I wrote all this and Aviator probably has 1000 goggle hours and just had a bad night...
~Dg84
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:42:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Still beats flying unaided.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:56:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Gee, I dont own any NVD's, and cant afford them.

My sympathy for you knows no bounds.........

Skip your next rifle and get a set of used PVS7's. That's what I did, paid $1400 for mid-1990's tube with no blems.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:00:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Shiiiit.....  still beats not flying at all..........  I can't afford a freaking 172 for an hour anymore....  $125 and I need some dual to get proficient....  $200/hr  for 180 pounding ponies.  Then try to STAY sharp with 4 hours a month....

Can somebody PLEASE give me a headache from flying?????!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shiiiit.....  still beats not flying at all..........  I can't afford a freaking 172 for an hour anymore....  $125 and I need some dual to get proficient....  $200/hr  for 180 pounding ponies.  Then try to STAY sharp with 4 hours a month....

Can somebody PLEASE give me a headache from flying?????!!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Flew 3 more last night. I think my problem is that I really just need to break down and buy a damn weaight bag. Head hurts in the back after flying. I think it is fromthe helmet always wanting to tilt foreward.

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I flew 6 hours the other day for work in a Cessna 310. I wsa all over the place. I was so tired.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Flew 3 more last night. I think my problem is that I really just need to break down and buy a damn weaight bag. Head hurts in the back after flying. I think it is fromthe helmet always wanting to tilt foreward.

Aviator

Sounds more like a hot spot than focus problems.  I normally had that problem with the goggs flipped up.  We had two solutions to the balance problem.  

Earliest solution was to duct tape 2-3 batteries to the rear of the helmet to even the weight out - worked OK, but you had to worry about possible FOD hazard.

The second solution worked really well.  We had the metal benders cut a piece of aluminum about the size of the plastic battery pack (obviously much thinner) and velcro tape both sides of it.  Put the metal shim between your helmet and the battery pack and voila - beautiful, hot spot free balance.  IIRC we stencilled these plates/shims and made them an accounable part of the NVG kits.  Unfortunately I can't remember the weight/thickness of the plates.

What type of goggs are you flying?  It's been almost 3 years since I have flown.  We were using ANVIS 9s then.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:46:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, the headache is worse when they are flipped up. We are flying 9s as well. Good idea, I might look into it.

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Our ALSE shop used to make counter-weight bags up for us.   They made bags from some sort of heavy weight, waterproof canvas (maybe from life rafts) and used left-over lead from balancing Huey M/R blades.  They'd make pouches and sew the lead into them and sew velcro on one side.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#19]
The new battery packs we have now already have the weight buit in.  I always turn the objectives all the way to the left, then turn the eye pieces till the dot is at zero.  Then adjust 1 objective till it is as clear as it will get and adjust the eye piece till its focused perfect.  Then do the other side.  That was how I was taught from the beginning.  I wear then about 1 time per week for about 3 hours too.  Never had a problem with them when they were set up right.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#20]
For all you who own PVS-7B's, whats a good source?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#21]
make a pouch and use rolls of pennies to make your counterweights.then velcro bag on back of helment.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
make a pouch and use rolls of pennies to make your counterweights.then velcro bag on back of helment.

The new batt packs take up ALL or the velcro on the back of our helmets  

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

use to use that 1986 - 90, flying PVS-5s in UH-1s.
cut aways, single battery pack,  20-200 vision, no depth preception, ahh those were the days...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#24]
No we got 20/40, dual batt packs, and no depth perception  

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I have used low light TV to fly a night but never NVGS.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't bid on any PVS-7B's on eBay ! ! !

At least... not until I grab up that pair!  

For the love of God... don't screw another ARFcom member, especially one who's been saving for the past month and is bound and determined to blow his paychecks on those NVGs!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aviator

Sounds more like a hot spot than focus problems.  I normally had that problem with the goggs flipped up.  We had two solutions to the balance problem.  

Earliest solution was to duct tape 2-3 batteries to the rear of the helmet to even the weight out - worked OK, but you had to worry about possible FOD hazard.

The second solution worked really well.  We had the metal benders cut a piece of aluminum about the size of the plastic battery pack (obviously much thinner) and velcro tape both sides of it.  Put the metal shim between your helmet and the battery pack and voila - beautiful, hot spot free balance.  IIRC we stencilled these plates/shims and made them an accounable part of the NVG kits.  Unfortunately I can't remember the weight/thickness of the plates.

What type of goggs are you flying?  It's been almost 3 years since I have flown.  We were using ANVIS 9s then.

We had lead weights with velcro on the back, with the bat pack.  That would help balance it pretty well.

Crewed a huey in a spec ops unit for about 4 yrs.

TXL
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Aviator

Ha!  We were doing 5+ G bombing runs last night with NVDs.  felt like the mask was going to pop over my nose.  

Try out the new memory foam liners for the helmets - those are money, and they get rid of the hot spots.  Tightening the nape strap also works wonders for keeping everything in its place.
Matt
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I lasted 20 minutes before I thought I was going to throw up. It's worse than hard IFR.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I got mine right here out of the EE from RScoyote...

Im prob going to sell them pretty soon, so I can get 14's.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:33:17 AM EDT
[#31]
I think the only times I got a headache flying goggles was when I had some focusing issue. It really starts like a tiny cramp behind one eye and by the time we land I am about ready to puke. Only happened a couple times so far. I like the metal plate counterweight idea. I think the weight range is supposed to be 10-22 oz. I will mention it to the sheetmetal guys today!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Damn, those are some fancy NVG's. I trained on the cutaway infantry model. We had to use a bag ,on the back of the flight helmet, filled with pennies as a counterweight.  Headache city.

I never progressed to more current NVG's even to the day I got out.  Once I left Ft. Rucker, I seldom used NVG's.

I was always jealous of the Apache guys' night vision set-up.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:59:48 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Ebay first, followed by our own EE. The EE's prices are higher due to a few agressive (but helpful) dealers and that keeps prices up on used units.

Dave

ETA: Give Mitchell a break-he's a good college kid who had the bug in a nad way last year when he was broke. Took him out to play with them and now he's hooked... C'mon, it'd be like taking candy from a baby!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top