Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 3:51:15 PM EDT
My neighbor directly behind me stole a pair of motion activated security flood lights that are pointed (down at my yard) in his direction.  I know (99.999% sure) he took them.   I did not see him do this but he is the one who complained to me in the past about them shining in his back yard.  I aimed them lower to calm him down.  We had a situation (blowing wind/moving trees) a few months ago that had my motion lights on during the evening.   I was outside cooking the other night and I noticed that the 2 flood lights that were in that fixture are gone.   His is the only house (right on the other side of the block wall that separates my backyard from his) the lights would be bothering.

I replaced the lights today and I am thinking over my next move.   First thing that came to mind was to confront him and tell him that I know what he did and that it is very dangerous for people to be lurking around other peoples back yards.   The fact that I didn't actually see him take them is the only thing keeping me from a direct confrontation.

The one thing I would like to do is to place on top of the block wall (the one he would have to climb over to get access to my yard) a powder/liquid/ink/tar etc.....  SOMETHING that he would track back to his house.   This way I could tell from which direction any future attempts came from.

claymores are not an option.

gimme some good ideas.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#1]
wrap them in barbed wire
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#2]
INstall a camera, catch him in the act of stealing them. Then take it to the police and file charges of burglary/trespassing/home invasion. He will be FUCKED FOR LIFE.

- rem
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking of attaching razor blades on the light case.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd call the cops and make a report, volunteer your suspicions about the neighbor, and then put up a new set that are bigger and brighter!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Cement broken bottles on top of the wall.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#6]
S.S.S.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#7]
put up twice as many lights, along with a camera.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#8]
wait a second...

do you think your lights were bothering the guy or not?  My gut reaction is that if the neighbor behind me had lights that frequently came on and shined on my yard, I'd be unhappy about it.  Unhappy enough to steal them?  Don't know about that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Replace the bulbs and then aim them up just a wee bit higher . This will get his attention and
probably provoke him into doing it again . This time you will be waiting on him .

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Why the hell would you have lights lighting up his yard?? I'd be pretty fuckin pissed about that myself.
Pissed enough to take action? Maybe........
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:01:06 PM EDT
[#11]
You can apply the security sensors to it like people apply to home windows.  But you put them BEHIND the light, so when it is moved, the sensor path breaks and the alarm goes off.  It can be nasty siren that blares right into his face.  Hopefully he'll fall off his ladder or whatever he uses.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Replace the bulbs and then aim them up just a wee bit higher . This will get his attention and
probably provoke him into doing it again . This time you will be waiting on him .

Or how about doing the neighborly thing and not shine lights into someone elses property? Gee, theres a fuckin thought.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#13]
One of those Motion activated game cameras maybe??
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#14]
www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__17/Perimeter_Alarm_Systems___Acce/perimeter_alarm_systems___acce.html

The HV-5  12 GAUGE ALARM should make him shit his pants and not trespass again.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#15]
How about chill a little and install some new fixtures that light your yard, but not his.

I do this kind of thing for a living, and I explain the ramifications of installing devices that are apt to annoy the neighbors.  Don't forget, there are more of them (neighbors) than there are of you.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#16]
MY security lights are motion activated and mounted on the eve around the back porch.

They are aimed DOWN so that they shine into my yard when they activate.

He complained once and I re-aimed them lower.

If he would have come over and asked I would have tried to find a solution (aimed them a little lower again)

They are aimed such that the beam hits on my side of the center of my backyard.

The lights are not aimed at his backyard.

They are aimed down at about a 45 degree angle into MY yard.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My neighbor directly behind me stole a pair of motion activated security flood lights that are pointed (down at my yard) in his direction.  I know (99.999% sure) he took them.   I did not see him do this but he is the one who complained to me in the past about them shining in his back yard.  I aimed them lower to calm him down.  We had a situation (blowing wind/moving trees) a few months ago that had my motion lights on during the evening.   I was outside cooking the other night and I noticed that the 2 flood lights that were in that fixture are gone.   His is the only house (right on the other side of the block wall that separates my backyard from his) the lights would be bothering.

I replaced the lights today and I am thinking over my next move.   First thing that came to mind was to confront him and tell him that I know what he did and that it is very dangerous for people to be lurking around other peoples back yards.   The fact that I didn't actually see him take them is the only thing keeping me from a direct confrontation.

The one thing I would like to do is to place on top of the block wall (the one he would have to climb over to get access to my yard) a powder/liquid/ink/tar etc.....  SOMETHING that he would track back to his house.   This way I could tell from which direction any future attempts came from.

claymores are not an option.

gimme some good ideas.

You are an assh-le.  I would have shot them out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#18]
perimeter lights only make it EASIER for thieves to steal your shit. It really does.

edit: oops, I guess you already know that. You got your lights stolen
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#19]
shoot out my lights!!??

LOL!!

that may work "up in them thar hills"

don't you have some inbreeding to do there ar15_rifleman?

As far as the neighbor is concerned,  I really don't want to escalate the situation.

I'm interested in a peacefull resolution.

so no barbed wire/broken glass etc.......

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__17/Perimeter_Alarm_Systems___Acce/perimeter_alarm_systems___acce.html

That is some great stuff! Next time Charlie cuts through the fence I'll be ready.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#23]
How about a few rolls of concertina wire? Just the cure for keeping "grabby" neighbors out of your AO. As a bonus, C-Wire works great on zombies.

http://www.soacorp.com/trailers/rapid_deployment_wire.htm
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
shoot out my lights!!??

LOL!!

Yep!  But I am not an assh-le.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#25]
copy that Defcon.

I only attack when attacked.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#26]
you can try 3 things all  legal

one change the bulb to spots, they throw less light out the sides

two change to a fixture that uses hologen bulbs, the skinny long ones, they when on are about 500 degrees. which is more than enough to remove finger prints for weeks

three, go back in side the light fixture and hook up a small door bell transformer that puts out the voltage of a small buzzer, then run a thermostat wire ( 18-2 ) back to your house and install the buzzer in your house with ashut off switch. anytime the light goes on it will sound the buzzer to let you know its on. then you can look to see if he is taking the bulbs out

ps did he take the whole light or just the bulbs
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Remedy said it.  Catch him on camera removing the lights and then nail his arse in criminal court and then civil court.  He'll be hurting.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Here are some more novel concepts.

1. Tell your neighbor someone took your lights.

2. Ask your neighbor if he still has a problem with your lights.

3. Give him your phone number and tell him to call if your lights are bothering him.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
How about chill a little and install some new fixtures that light your yard, but not his.

I do this kind of thing for a living, and I explain the ramifications of installing devices that are apt to annoy the neighbors.  Don't forget, there are more of them (neighbors) than there are of you.

Can't we all just get along?  This is like road rage at home.  Something about revenge requiring 2 graves, one for you and one for the other guy?

I can be as big an ass as the next guy, that's easy.  The hard part is to chill, de-escalate, and try to be considerate.  It is stuff like this that ends up overblown and then somebody gets hurt.  It's not worth it.  Everyone hates having someone get over on them - like losing your bulbs, but keep it in perspective and try to be level headed.  The asshat that did this will feel a bit smaller if he sees you take a positive and considerate approach, when he started with a negative one.  Be the better man.  Try not to let your buttons get pushed over this.  

Easy for me to say...  I wasn't tresspassed and burgled.

However, if the neighbor guy smirks funny-like, then maybe just off him and hope the jury sees things your way.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Here are some more novel concepts.

1. Tell your neighbor someone took your lights.

2. Ask your neighbor if he still has a problem with your lights.

3. Give him your phone number and tell him to call if your lights are bothering him.

Best reply in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Bigger and brighter with a camera
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Mount new lights in PVC box, or the PVC tube made for yard light, wire the ground wire to the hot wire. With the metal lights mounted to PVC box, the metal lamp holders will be "hot".

Just discuss it with him before something bad happens.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Mount new lights in PVC box, or the PVC tube made for yard light, wire the ground wire to the hot wire. With the metal lights mounted to PVC box, the metal lamp holders will be "hot".

Just discuss it with him before something bad happens.

Best Advice.

Neighbors can be a pain in the ass. Try not to piss them off and thiing will be ok.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#34]
BELEIVE me.

As I said before I do not want this situation to escalate.

I am trying to be reasonable while at the same time protecting my Family and my property.

therefore the lights stay up.

I have adjusted them such that they are shining down much more into my yard, even more so then they were before.  They're aimed down at over a 55 degree angle.

I have adjusted the sensitivity and range to barely acceptable limits for me.

This is as far as I am willing to go.

I will monitor the lights for a week or so to make sure they are not coming on when they shouldn't.

Suggestions #1 and #2 are kinda where I'm headed.

Give him my home phone number??

nope.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Man, these threads make me glad that I don't really have any neighbors.  At least close ones.

I used to live in high density housing developments so I feel your pain.  I now have 10 acres in the woods and don't miss HD housing or the neighbor problems that come with them one bit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I'd call the cops and make a report, volunteer your suspicions about the neighbor, and then put up a new set that are bigger and brighter!

I was gonna say coat the next ones in skunk urine then ask him if you can sniff his fingers.  But now I think making a police report will document for future violence.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
shoot out my lights!!??

LOL!!

wow.  So you think he is the only guy here from TN?  You just pissed off half of Arfcom.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

TYTYTYTYTYTY, been looking for something just like these things!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#41]
DVR (Digital Video Recorder) and cameras with IR illuminators built in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top