Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 2:52:09 PM EDT
You guys with an Xbox ever look into modchips? I found some package deals that incude the modchip and a 120GB hard drive. Id like the ability to store all my games on my harddrive and let my friends use the original disc for system link games. Im not afraid to solder but flashing the bios and setting it up seems pretty involved. Anyone have any recommendations or thoughts?

Heres a setup I was looking at:

www.modchipstore.com/Xbox-Xecuter-3-CE-ModChip-120GB-160GB-Hard-Drive-Combo-Official-16216.html
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#1]
ask around town for computer techs that do it. There is a computer guy out here that said he'd do the whole thing including the mod chip and hard drive for $80
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#2]
a couple friends of mine did it and they said the hardest part was the soldering.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If you do it, you cannot use XBOX Live!

So, get an extra Xbox to do it, then slap a 300gig HDD in that bitch, the latest XBOX Loader Menu, and copy a ton of ripped Xbox games to it.

That's what we do.

- rem
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
- rem

I did a mod for my nephew, a few months back. IIRC, He can switch the bios back to the factory one just for the sole purpose to play LIVE! THAT was the reason he chose the specific mod that he did.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So, get an extra Xbox to do it, then slap a 300gig HDD in that bitch, the latest XBOX Loader Menu, and copy a ton of ripped Xbox games to it.

That's what we do.

- rem

How do you rip an XBOX game ?  Any site links? I shure would like a copy of the disks and put the original away
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#6]
From what I read about the particular modchip in the link was that you had to put a hacked bios version on the harddrive in order to play game copys and or stored games on you hard drive. It come with it because of copyright laws so you had to do it yourself. This is what is confusing to me, not the hardware installation.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You guys with an Xbox ever look into modchips? I found some package deals that incude the modchip and a 120GB hard drive. Id like the ability to store all my games on my harddrive and let my friends use the original disc for system link games. Im not afraid to solder but flashing the bios and setting it up seems pretty involved. Anyone have any recommendations or thoughts?

Heres a setup I was looking at:

www.modchipstore.com/Xbox-Xecuter-3-CE-ModChip-120GB-160GB-Hard-Drive-Combo-Official-16216.html

Got mine from the same store. Go with the spiderchip or other solderless chip. They use a screw and pogo pins make contact with the board. You do however need to know what version your xbox is because the little holes in the circuit board are in different places on different versions.
I got the 120gb and solderless spider and have never had a problem and i recently traded it on the boards here.

As far as the operating system(EVO X) it is ok but kinda retarded to navigate. Its best to wipe the hd and ftp Avalaunch onto it which is alot easier to run. DVD2Xbox is the default game saving program and works pretty slick. I had 17 games on it when I sold it with room for 5 or so more depending on size. You can also erase them at any time.

As far a Xbox live goes it is true that you cannot use a modded box. All/most chips come with an external toggle switch that activates/deactivates the chip and uses the corresponding bios. The disadvantage is you need the hard copy to play on LIVE. I sure as hell didnt just back up my games and keep them. I backed up my games, sold what I had, and rented the rest to save money. So thats kinda out of the question unless you are going to keep the originals around(stupid)

So whats the cure you ask? Well I downloaded KAI XLink which is a free online game server. Its not quite as good as LIVE but its free, allows modded counsils, and is easy to use. At any given time there were 300-600 Halo 2 users which was awesome.

So get a solderless chip if you cant solder. They work just as good as any other chip for what you will ever use it for. A 120gb HD held 20-25ish games depending on size. Get KAI XLINK if you want free online gaming.

the mod chip store is a good company to deal with and ships very fast also. Like I said I got my stuff from there.

I will try and check back for any questions. You will need to be computer friendly to do some of this and the rest you will pick up as you go. I am by no means a geek and did just fine.........
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
From what I read about the particular modchip in the link was that you had to put a hacked bios version on the harddrive in order to play game copys and or stored games on you hard drive. It come with it because of copyright laws so you had to do it yourself. This is what is confusing to me, not the hardware installation.

The spiderchip I got with the package was fine out of the box. I ended up dumping the HD and started from scratch but before I did it saved games just fine

As stated in my previous post EVO X kinda sucks. If you get an option or can figure out how to download it get Avalaunch.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info stretch. Im not concerned at all about playing xbox live. I just play system link with buddies sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info stretch. Im not concerned at all about playing xbox live. I just play system link with buddies sometimes.

Ya you will be fine then. KAI actually uses system link as its online games rather than the xbox live function. You just need to learn how to transport things from your computer to your xbox. Do this and your golden
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Could I buy a regular PC hardrive to replace the one in my xbox for more storage?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Could I buy a regular PC hardrive to replace the one in my xbox for more storage?

Yes but it needs to be formatted a certain way for the xbox to understand it.

That's how most guy even make any money off of doing this kind of upgrades for people.

They'll usually have a bunch of drives they bought for cheap and they do all the legwork to get that drive to work on the xbox and in turn they make a tad off the labor and a tad off the markup of the HDD.

"Sure you could use your old HDD laying around but I'm going to charge you XXX to get it to work on your xbox".

I tell you what, this mod is cool and all but one thing I've noticed about the guys that get this mod is the following: they turn into insatiable gamers that can't seem to focus on one game for more then an hour or two.

In the end they end up being ragged gamers who are just looking for the next game to rip off all the while never really completely anything they start.

YMMV

Stealing is bad mmmmm kay?
I like to give my money to the gaming companies, how else are they going to be able to make the next good game?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I tell you what, this mod is cool and all but one thing I've noticed about the guys that get this mod is the following: they turn into insatiable gamers that can't seem to focus on one game for more then an hour or two.

In the end they end up being ragged gamers who are just looking for the next game to rip off all the while never really completely anything they start.

YMMV

Stealing is bad mmmmm kay?
I like to give my money to the gaming companies, how else are they going to be able to make the next good game?

I never had a problem finishing a game? I would complete it and then go get a new one and delete the old one if I didnt have room.  Keep the classics like Halo etc.

As far as stealing from the gaming industry...............crap
$60 for a new release game is crazy. Let some other sucker pay that. They still get their cut for rentals etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top