Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2006 10:49:48 AM EDT
What do you have, is it worth it, what complaints do you have?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#1]
People pay for radio ?!?!?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know about it yet. I would have to be a professional driver to justify paying for radio... I fully realize that people likely said the same thing about cable television when it came out but... this is radio...

My brother and a friend have it and they think it's the coolest. I admit, from the little bit I've listened to I think it's pretty sweet too. But worth paying for...? dunno. I have an iPod.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I have XM. I love it. My only complaint is that I went cheap initially, and got the on the dash unit. I just went and pucked up a tuner that will work with my Pioneer radio and will be hidden under the dash.

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Doah!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#5]
site upgrade double tap
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Wifre and I both have XM and we both love it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I have sirius and LOVE IT!!!!  hard attack rocks(heavy metal/death metal) as well as octane(pure rock).  the  Raw dog comedy channel almost makes me crash.  sirius also has plays nra radio and another gun program on one of their two conservative stations.  and howard, whom i dont listen to, but matters to some.

the only thing i can suggest is avoid the fm broadcast type and go for the hardwired versions.  the sound is MUCH better hardwired... xm or sirius.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I have Sirius and love it.  I've had both the in dash with a tuner as well as the separate unit.  The separate units usually offer more features (newer ones having the ability to record).
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Sirius and love it, worth every penny.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm seriously considering it, once equipment comes out that meets my needs.

Local radio sucks. Bad selection, bad dj's, lame commercials that go on forever.

The funny thing is they're running the "radio...you shouldn't have to pay for it" ads, and they make me think "broadcast radio...nobody would ever pay for it".

I want a portable XM receiver that gets am/fm and can store maybe 5GB of mp3's. Then I'm in.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#11]
You should have added: "Don't have it, aren't really interested, may get it some day."

That's what catagory I fall into.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I am happy with my XM. I have it on both of my cars.

I only listen to FM when Hannity is on and Rush. Other than that, I do not listen to radio/ CD's anymore.

IBTXBB

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You should have added: "Don't have it, aren't really interested, may get it some day."

That's what catagory I fall into.

once goatboy fixes the '5 questions' problem, that question can be added.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I have XM and love it.  After listening to O&A for a while, I have learned how crappy regular radio is.  So much of what regular radio does is repeated and boring now.  It all depends on what you are after.  

Tom Petty's the The Last DJ pretty much nailed it.  DJ's have been replaced by computers anyway.  Most of them do not get to choose which song plays next, the computer does.

As for paying for radio, I have been paying for radio for years.  Every crappy commercial I had to listen to paid for my radio shows.  Before XM I listened to the radio for 30 minutes on the way into work and 30 minutes on the way home.  I timed it once and during that 30 minutes I got less than 15 minutes of actual music/dj chatter that was worth listening to.  The rest was bumper music and commercials.

As soon as XM releases the next portable unit in March that allows MP3 playback, I will be paying for a second unit to take to the gym.  I will give the ipod to my fiance.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#15]
why pay for radio? because XM is awesome thats why
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#16]
i have XM

my only regret is not geting  a better radio to start with.
i got the 28 buck fm type...

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Not in my car, but I listen to the XM stations through DirecTV at home as an alternative to radio.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I love it. Seems that modern car radios won't work when you get out of town anymore.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That's what I thought at first when I would see the ads during movie theatre previews. I thought it was the stupidest shit I'd ever seen. Now I have XM and love it, I would never give it up!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Been thinking about it for awhile now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#22]
listend to xm for about 2 days on a road trip, next road trip for 4 days i listended to sirius. soon as  i got home from the last trip i bought sirius and i dont know how i lived with out it. LOVE IT, awsome stations, no interuptions, cussing and its only 10 bucks a month. sirius is the best by far IMO but if you can get it i guess XM is ok.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#23]
sirius...great programming...NBA, NFL....Stern...I haven't played a cd or listened to FM in my truck since I bought the unit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Sirius.

The Rockford Fosgate system in my Xterra was prewired for it or XM.  Took the dealer about an hour to install.

Love it to death.  Yeah, the audio is compressed digital but they're using enough bandwidth on the music channels that you don't notice it unless you're looking for it.

Spending as much time traveling as I have since September, it's a total Godsend.  To be able to catch a program all the way through like NRA news or G. Gordon's show is wonderful.  Not having to put up with the total shit that Clear Channel saturates terrestrial radio with is worth its weight in gold.  Having continuous traffic and weather reports for big cites is nice when my travels take me there.  Detailed nationwide weather from the Weather Channel keeps you aware of what's ahead.

Between the sat radio, a six disc MP3/CD changer, CB and 2meter/440 rig there's ALWAYS something to listen to in my rig.  

Once I settle down I'll probably get a receiver for the home system.  I miss it when not on the road.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Where's the 'not at this time I don't perceive the value option'?

I still steal all my music out of the binary newsgroups.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#26]
As a DirecTV customer, you get the XM radio package for free. I listened thru my stereo alot this past weekend, and I think it's great. It definitely beats the this out of corporate/commercial radio.

Duuno how long this is going to last, but should I ever decide to do the satellite radio thing, I'd probably go with Sirius instead.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#27]
XM radio for the past few years, and I love it. Well worth the money, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#28]
had it and couldnt justify the cost.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
As a DirecTV customer, you get the XM radio package for free.

That's a VERY abbreviated offering from the full XM schedule.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Sirius...........Love it
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#31]
What about talk radio for XM or Sirius ?
Rush, Hannity, Medved, Ingram, Savage etc..etc...
Are they available ?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#32]
The chief just let me install it in my cruiser.  Told me if I pay for it I can have it since its a personal take home k-9 cruiser.  So i got sirus, and its great.  Love it
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Had Sirius and dropped it cause they were asshats about Foxnews. Then the mofos tried to charge me $22.06 for no reason. They couldn't even explain why I was billed after I dropped service.

I'd move to XM but they have no heavy metal. I drive alot during the day and can't stand the local Kommunist "rock" station that's played the same playlist for the past 10 years. mp3 disks have gotten me by so far.

Sirius really only has Mike Church, which gets old real fast.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Radio has disgusted me so thoroughly that I would be hard pressed to have anything to do with it in any form, much less pay for it.  If it weren't for Rush I would never turn it on at all.

But at least it got Howard Stern off the public airwaves, so I guess it's not all bad.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Yup - same way they pay for cable TV (except - no commercials for music channels, minimal commercials for talk radio).

XM Satellite here - Opie and Anthony on XM 202.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I'd move to XM but they have no heavy metal. I drive alot during the day and can't stand the local Kommunist "rock" station that's played the same playlist for the past 10 years. mp3 disks have gotten me by so far.

That's the one thing they pissed me off with - Liquid Metal (XM 42) is now only available online - I can't listen to it in the car anymore.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#37]
"free" FM sucks and is for poor people.
O&A party rock!!!!
HooHooo, I invented satellite radio. Tell him Fred!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#38]
My wife and I have sirius in both vehicles and love it.  Since installing it last summer neither of us have listened to normal radio or cds.  We're both pissed about the fox news thing and have been complaining to them often both as customers and as stock holders.  They've gotta spend some money on the important stuff and forget about stern.

Why pay for it:
- G Gordon Liddy, NRA News, and the rest of the conservative talk lineup
- better traffic and weather than I can get on local radio (only applies to the major cities that they cover, but it's also nice to know exactly where to find a traffic report when I go to a different city)
- no commercials on the music stations
- great selection of music genres, many that are not available on normal radio.  
- great programming within each genre
- songs that are played in their original format including full length intros.  no shortened and editted for radio BS.  
- being able to listen to a country station that, in between a David Allen Coe song and a Hank Jr song, has a DJ who is allowed to say things like "have a good time this weekend, but don't drive if you're all fucked up and for crissakes wear a condom."
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#39]
I have Sirius, my roommate has XM.

I would give Sirius the edge because as far as music goes Sirius is way better if you listen to rock and/or country.

Especially country, if you are sick of today's bullshit nashville country like Tim McGraw, women singers, etc etc, then get Sirius.   You get Willie, George Jones, DAC, H. Williams 1,2,3 all in a row.   It's like a perfect mix.

Same with rock they just play better songs

ETA Sirius Patriot 144 NRANews.   I listen to Cam & Co. Everyday its a great show.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#40]
XM Opey & Anthony Ch. 202
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#41]
octane, alt nation, faction and i havent listen to a cd in 4 months sense i got it
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Are they available ?

www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=166

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Why pay for it:
- G Gordon Liddy, NRA News, and the rest of the conservative talk lineup

- being able to listen to a country station that, in between a David Allen Coe song and a Hank Jr song, has a DJ who is allowed to say things like "have a good time this weekend, but don't drive if you're all fucked up and for crissakes wear a condom."

Let me guess, it was Mojo?!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
octane, alt nation, faction and i havent listen to a cd in 4 months sense i got it

What about Buzzsaw 19?!

See, Sirius rocks out
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#45]
those are the ones i listen to about 90% of the time . what the other one hard attack and indi or some damn thing? octane is the greatest station ever closely fallowed by faction and alt nation, jason ellis is a funny fucker.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
those are the ones i listen to about 90% of the time . what the other one hard attack and indi or some damn thing? octane is the greatest station ever closely fallowed by faction and alt nation, jason ellis is a funny fucker.

yeah hard attack: hardcore, grindcore, heavy/death/black metal.. they are only lacking a solid punk station.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:52:02 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Had Sirius and dropped it cause they were asshats about Foxnews. Then the mofos tried to charge me $22.06 for no reason. They couldn't even explain why I was billed after I dropped service.

Sirius really only has Mike Church, which gets old real fast.

Sirius has NRA News, Mike Church,  Laura Ingram, Sean Hannity, Larry Elder, Tammy Bruce, Micheal Reagan, G Gordan Liddy, and more.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:29:44 AM EDT
[#48]
I had it and loved it as a truck driver until the unit went Tango Uniform.  I still need to get it fixed under waranty, but I am not a trucker anymore so...

The unrated comedy channel kept my sanity when little else did.  Desolate wasteland in front of you (Utah, Commifornia, west texas, AZ & NM, Iowa & NE), laughing your ass off inside.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:32:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Had XM. The music channels were pretty mediocre.

Have Sirius. Love it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:37:49 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Are they available ?

Rush-no
Hannity-yes
Medved-? not sure, don't think so
Ingraham-yes
Savage-not anymore

And Sirius dropped Fox News at the beginning of the year
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top