Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2001 4:06:20 PM EDT
I remember the Liberty mentioned in a thread the other night, I had never heard anything about it. Just switched to the history channel and a show is on about it
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I read a book on the subject years ago. Always bothered me. The attack was no mistake, just lies. I think this World would've been better off if Israel had lost the Six Day War.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw it and I don't understand why the U.S. still pays out $600mill to Israel.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking the same thing while I was watching it.  They said the paid 12 mil(?) in reparations.  Was that just deducted from the check?

Why do we give foreign aid when every country pisses on us?
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 1:54:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I didn't get the opportunity to see it. What were the conclusions on the rationale behind the Israelis' attack?

Eric The(Zionist)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#5]
The main rationale was that the the USS Liberty being a surveillance ship would have alerted the US and UN that the Israelis, who had already signed a ceasefire with Syria(?), broke the agreement by taking the Golan Heights.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Even better, the Liberty may have alerted the US and the UN that Israel was [b]planning[/b] on taking the strategic Golan Heights (the effects of which are still being felt today).

I have to say that things like that make it hard to have warm and fuzzy feelings for Israel.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Post from Imbrolio -
The main rationale was that the the USS Liberty being a surveillance ship would have alerted the US and UN that the Israelis, who had already signed a ceasefire with Syria(?), broke the agreement by taking the Golan Heights.
View Quote

You mean that the program or some guest on the program said that Israel broke a 'ceasefire' with Syria in order to take the Golan Heights by deception?  And that such a ceasefire had already been signed?  That is odd, because the date of the attack on the USS Liberty was June 8, 1967.

By that date, the IAF had already been heavily bombing the Syrian positions on the Golan Heights since June 7, 1967, the Third Day of the Six Day War. The IDF's breakthrough came at 10:00 AM on the morning of 9 June. It was spearheaded by Colonel Albert's tank brigade which came from the direction of Givat Ha'em north of Kfar Szold and routed the Syrian posts to the north, on the top of the Heights.

At the same time, the Golani infantry brigade under the command of Colonel Yona Efrat fought a fierce battle to conquer the targets in its sector. A force consisting of infantry, Nahal and paratroopers defeated a series of other posts overlooking the Hula valley in the southern sector of the Heights and enabled the passage of IDF tanks deep into the Heights.

On the night of June 9- 10 an attack was mounted on Jalabina and enemy positions on the region of the border and the Banyas were captured.

At no time during any of this fighting had either the Syrians, or the Israelis, asked for, received, or signed a written ceasefire, nor was any such ceasefire in the works!

The Syrians were very smug in their possession of the Heights and the local Syrian military commanders were probably not giving Damascus'
headquarters very accurate military reports that would have caused Syrian leadership, which was, after all, the most bitter of Israel's enemies, much reason to seek a ceasefire!

That the United States, the Eurpoeans, the UN, et al., were trying to arrange a ceasefire is a given. But there was simply no ceasefire in place!

On June 10, the Fifth Day of the Six Day War, the entirety of the Golan Heights had been seized, and the Syrian Army was making its way toward Damascus, in a very similar manner to their pell-mell retreat in October, 1973, a little more than six years later!

Only on June 12, 1967, was a UN brokered cease fire signed by the warring nations!

Eric The(Passionate)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Post from Wadman -
Even better, the Liberty may have alerted the US and the UN that Israel was planning on taking the strategic Golan Heights...
View Quote

I think that everyone at the table 'knew' that Israel was intent on taking the Golan Heights after almost twenty f+++ing years of Syrian artillery bombardment of Israeli farms, kitbutzim, and population centers in Galilee!

Duh, the Israelis aren't THAT stupid!

Eric The(RememberItLikeItWasYesterday!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Israel killed/murdered American service men.Our "allies" all right!
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Stop all foreign at to Israel NOW. If private citizens want to contribute then fine, but no more tax payer dollars.

Has anyone totalled up the number of casualties to U.S. troops and tourists due to the backing of Israel? What exactly has been gained by all of these deaths?

As George Washington said "Beware of foreign entanglements". This is one entanglement that has gone on for far too long.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#11]
[url]www.ussliberty.com[/url] Read Toronto Sun's review of book called Body of Secrets. After reading the website articles, I believe Israel knew that the ship was a American ship. Their pilots even told their superiors it was a American ship and they told them to keep attacking anyway. New evidence out places a US intelligence plane in the area at the time the attack was going on, which recorded the incident. If so Johnson had to know about it, this is all political, our president(Johnson)from reading the article, was hushing things up because he did not need anymore bad publicity concerning the Vietnam war and how it was going. Maybe Israel had information on him and they threatened to tell what they knew. I feel for the crew members of the USS Liberty and their families, it is so tragic. It is the only Navy incident that has never been investigated by congress. They shot Americans in their life boats for God sakes. War certainly is Hell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top