Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 6:00:27 AM EDT
Was just watching cnn headline news.  Their title for the shot, "car chase ends in violent manner"

My headline, car chase ends with assault and lawsuit to follow.

These 4 cops chase a guy down on foot.  They slam him into a wall.  That part was ok.  But then, they get him on the ground and proceed to beat the shit out of him, all on camera.  Guy was down, cop on top of him seen punching him in the face.  Cop standing up near his feet was stomping, repeatedly, on his ankles. Cop standing by his head seen kicking him in the head more than a few times.  Then walks around and starts kicking him in the legs.

I guarantee a lawsuit will follow from this.  All caught tape from helicpoter.

Watch headline news, they will show it again.   And again.

Link www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=91485

Thanks Lanceman!
TXL
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I have no problem with cops beating the shit out of assholes who lead them on high speed chases due to the danger the assholes put everyone in.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:04:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Got his ass whooped. Lesson Learned: Don't assault a police officer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm no fan of police brutality, but you know something...

...some folks are in serious need of a beat down. I'm just saying.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:07:27 AM EDT
[#4]
quote from a local who saw it..

Guy rammed 3 cop cars in the process of trying to get away in Maplewood.  They finally pinned him and he tried to run on foot.  Needless to say, once they got a hold of him they whipped his ***.  The whole chase and beating was caught on camera from the news chopper.

He totally deserved the beating he got but you just know the whining is going to be in full swing.  

"Police brutality!"

*roll*

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:14:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:19:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm no fan of police brutality, but you know something...

...some folks are in serious need of a beat down. I'm just saying.

+1, and a lawsuit will probably follow
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:20:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Guy rammed 3 cop cars...

When someone tries to kill you or your friends, your adrenaline is going to be flowing!  While what the cops did was wrong, it is completely understandable.  Moral of the story, when you try to kill someone or their friends, don't expect them to take it calmly.z
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#8]
was the perp a teenaged blond rollerskater?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't let the guy collect a penny. He can pay for his own stupidity. The police did exactly what this citizen wanted them to.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:32:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I wouldn't let the guy collect a penny. He can pay for his own stupidity. The police did exactly what this citizen wanted them to.

I'm with you, but you know some lawyer is already at the police station waiting to sign this shitbag up.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#11]
He was still resisting and had not been subdued yet. After he was cuffed they stopped wailing on him. If he is rsisting think it is within policy to keep striking him until he was subdued. Vehicular assault is pretty serious stuff.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a couple of related stories:

I used to do a little consulting work for a local PD when I lived in California. There was this retired cop that worked in IT, who had an interesting realization. He said (paraphrased):

"If I had it to do all over again, I probably would've been a fireman. They don't work nearly as much, they get paid about the same, and they don't have to put up with nearly as much bullshit. A fireman can break your door down, rip a hole in the roof, soak the entire place in water and destroy nearly everything you own in the process - and you will THANK him. Let me punch a violent felon in the mouth because he deserved it, and I get sued."

Another story that comes to mind comes from the guy who built my motorcycle. As a young man living in Jamestown California, he recalls a buddy getting the shit kicked out of him by the local PD. See, his buddy was REALLY drunk not driving particuarly well. Mind you, in Jamestown in the 60's, it wasn't uncommon for the local cops to sternly recommend that you "drive straight home" if you were a little tipsy. To actually get picked up for a DUI meant you REALLY fucked up, somehow.

When they put him in the back of the patrol car, he kept trying to kick the windows out. So, the cops pulled over, took him out of the car and gave him a little stick time. This worked for a few miles, until our hapless drunk worked up the courage to try breaking some more windows. So, the cops would pull over, take him out, beat the piss out of him, and put him back in. This happened quite a few times on the way to the station. When he arrived, he was pretty messed up.

Nobody said a word, the community was not outraged and - here's the kicker - even his buddy said "You had it coming". Boy did he, and he got it.

My how times have changed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Chris rock// everybody knows if the police gotta come get you then they're bringing an ass-kicking with them//Chris Rock
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
He was still resisting and had not been subdued yet. After he was cuffed they stopped wailing on him. If he is rsisting think it is within policy to keep striking him until he was subdued. Vehicular assault is pretty serious stuff.

This guy was running full speed, and got SLAMMED into a brick wall, trust me, he was subdued.  This was payback.  

Trust me, this guys lawyer is gonna raise a shit storm over this.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This guy was running full speed, and got SLAMMED into a brick wall, trust me, he was subdued.  This was payback.  

TXL

How do you know he was "SLAMMED" into a brick wall? The video did not show him being slammed into a brick wall.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:56:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TXL

How do you know he was "SLAMMED" into a brick wall? The video did not show him being slammed into a brick wall.

Actually, they shortened the one they are showing now.  My co-worker saved the tivo, we have the original one.  He was SLAMMED into the wall.  The one they are showing now also does not show the cop standing there kicking him in the head, or the other one stomping on his ankles.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:01:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TXL

Actually, they shortened the one they are showing now.  My co-worker saved the tivo, we have the original one.  He was SLAMMED into the wall.  The one they are showing now also does not show the cop standing there kicking him in the head, or the other one stomping on his ankles.

TXL

So how does your co-workers tivo get a shot of the backside of the building while the helicopter was on the other side?

All they showed was the bad guy running towards the building. You see the cop make a tackle, the view is then blocked until the helicopter comes around the other side.

You must have magic tivo.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:02:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TXL

TXL

So how does your co-workers tivo get a shot of the backside of the building while the helicopter was on the other side?

All they showed was the bad guy running towards the building. You see the cop make a tackle, the view is then blocked until the helicopter comes around the other side.

no dickhead, there was more than one helicopter.  I saw the damn thing 3 fucking times.  so fuck you for calling me a liar.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TXL

TXL

no dickhead, there was more than one helicopter.  I saw the damn thing 3 fucking times.  so fuck you for calling me a liar.

TXL

Oh. The video on Fox does not show this slamming. I would like to see it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:04:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, I can't imagine the whole thing not getting shown again by someone.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:20:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TXL

TXL

Why would you make the assumption he is lying?  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TXL

TXL

Why would you make the assumption he is lying?  

Because everyone knows there is only 1 news chopper and only 1 news channel.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:46:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Personally, I have no problem with cops beating the shit out of assholes who walk around with loaded weapons tucked into their pants due to the danger the assholes put everyone in.

Not even close to a legit analogy.  If you can't see the difference, who cares.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#24]
The other reason that Fox attributed to the violence of the officers was that the chase-ee almost hit three schoolbusses during the chase, if any of them were fathers I am sure this set them off just as much as ramming a cop car.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Just saw it one more time and woulda thunk it would have been fine except for that last blow while he is in cuffs laying face down.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Just saw it one more time and woulda thunk it would have been fine except for that last blow while he is in cuffs laying face down.

I don't care how bad an ass whoopin he got pre cuff good for the cops....If they were still beating his ass post cuff though they deserve the lawsuit shitstorm that will ensue
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I actually don't have a problem with cops beating the shit out of assholes.

The problem I have, is with an officer thinking that he gets to decide who gets the shit kicked out of them.

Say that you think its great all you like, someday you might be the guy on the ground getting the shit kicked out of you because a grown man can't control his emotions.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Here is the video, see if it works. He got a pretty good pounding.

try this: they have a link to the video over the picture in the article.

www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=91485

ETA: TxLEwis you might want to put the link at top of page one or an update saying where the link is so anyone interested can find.

This should open the video directly into Windows Media Player without going through the news site. Just cut and paste and leave it cold:

http://wm.gannett.speedera.net/wm.gannett/ksdk/013006_chase_ksdk.wmv

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Was just watching cnn headline news.  Their title for the shot, "car chase ends in violent manner"

My headline, car chase ends with assault and lawsuit to follow.

These 4 cops chase a guy down on foot.  They slam him into a wall.  That part was ok.  But then, they get him on the ground and proceed to beat the shit out of him, all on camera.  Guy was down, cop on top of him seen punching him in the face.  Cop standing up near his feet was stomping, repeatedly, on his ankles. Cop standing by his head seen kicking him in the head more than a few times.  Then walks around and starts kicking him in the legs.

I guarantee a lawsuit will follow from this.  All caught tape from helicpoter.

Watch headline news, they will show it again.   And again.

TXL

You didn't mention the part where the perp had just rammed two cruisers.

I saw the live action on the news this morning - I couldn't believe my eyes; two leo's had lost their composure and where kicking the runner.  

The two that had him pinned were justified in whomping him, but the kicks where probably unnecessary and did little good to subdue the man, everyone should have been pinning him, one on each leg, the other two on his upper body.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#30]
The video is on foxnews.com front page.

The link for the video is java scripted I can not post the link.

Here is fox: Here

They got the beat down all on tape.

Once he quit resisting, they stop beating on him.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#31]
you are correct, I only mentioned what I say, and I think I saw the first showing of it.  Which is what my co worker saved on the TIVO, but at that time, there was no more to the story, than what I posted.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Shit that wasn't THAT bad. Actually I think it should be mandatory that the cops kick the living shit out of assholes that cause high speed pursuit.

These assholes should at least experience something worse than to go to court only to given probation by some liberal judge.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#33]
That wasn't bad at all.   With the quality of the video, you cannot  tell if the BG is still resisting or not...you cannot tell if he is kicking at the officers or not.  Also, the kick to the upper torso could be to the shoulder or head....hard to tell.  I was expecting a true beat-down, but then watched the video.

Seen MUCH MUCH worse.  That is S.O.P. for  law enforcement when catching flee/elude guy....

....next topic, please....
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#34]
[chrisrock]If the police have to chase you, they're bringing an ass kicking with them.[/chrisrock]

Seriously, you know what my training Sgt said to me after my first foot pursuit?  "why isnt he going to the hospital?"
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#35]
 Heard that same thing....."Why ain't he bleedin' more?!?!"
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I haven't read any of the posts on here about this topic, as I know from past experience, what they will be like.

That said, I worked the midnight shift last night and was lying in bed with the wife this morning wacthing the news getting ready to nod off. We got the news clip and both said, this is going to get ugly.

The guy being slammed into the wall and/or ground, ok....thats no bigie. If he's still on the ground resisting then its a fist fight until the cuffs are on. Been there, done that. But while this was happening I have no idea why the one LEO was kicking at the guy. IMHO that was out of line and I think is ass is gonna be toast. I've only seen the clip once so I can't recall what else was going on.

The whole time we were watching the clip I kept saying things like this just make it harder for other LEO's to do their job.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Any word on the dog????
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Sometimes I think the cops may take it a little too far, but you have to consider the adrenaline that is pumping. Sometimes you don't think in those type situations.

At the same time the police are supposed to be a roll model for citizens. A person of such statue should have better control of their self.

I personally like to see the criminal get the sh** kicked out of them after a high speed chase because they deserve it. They put so many other lives in danger. I also think that when you commit a crime, especially a serious one, that you forfeit any right you might have as a person/citizen. Especially if you violate someone elses rights.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, this guy got what he deserved.  No doubt about that.  Prolly could have used a little more to make him learn his lesson.

BT
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Personally, I have no problem with cops beating the shit out of assholes who lead them on high speed chases due to the danger the assholes put everyone in.

+1
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I haven't read any of the posts on here about this topic, as I know from past experience, what they will be like.

Actually, it has been mostly in favor of the asshole getting the shit kicked out of him.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, it has been mostly in favor of the asshole getting the shit kicked out of him.

LOL, say it ain't so!!! Will wonders never cease
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#43]
True, some people deserve a pounding.

Just extend that courtesy to the rest of us without getting arrested.

That's all I'm saying.

GM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top