Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 11:08:51 PM EDT
I do not want to"share" my signal from my wireless DSL modem.  How do I make it secure so only I can use it? I know it can be done, since 1/2 the signals my computer picks up are from secure wireless signals that I cannot use without a "key".

How do I rename my connection instead of the random 12 character name it has now?

The modem is plugged into a phone jack in the other room, and I strictly use the wireless signal, no ethernet cables.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
tag...

i tried doing it once and blocked myself out...

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:15:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, first things first, whats your what brand/model is your wireless router?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Westell Versalink Model 327W
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#4]
enable WEP, it's easy
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm assuming you have Windows XP.

Ok, go to your web browser, and go to 192.168.1.1

Its going to ask for your username and password. I hope you have these. Usually the username is your primary email.

Then your going to want to be in the Configuration menu, then Wireless. Once there, your going to change the SSID. This is the "connection name" setting. Go ahead and Save.

Now, your going to want to go to wireless button on your computer, and select the wireless point that you specified. Once you establish connection, go back to 192.168.1.1

Then your going to want to be in the Configuration menu, then Wireless. Once there, your going to change the value of Open System to Shared Key. Its then going to want you to select Enabled on Wep Security.

Then enter a string of text characters from 5 to 13. Make sure and write this down. Once you've done that, Save.

Now, your connection resets, and your going to have to go to the wireless menu, select your access point, and change it to Wep, then enter the key you put in. Once thats done, you should connect
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:55:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't seem to get the 192.whatever thing to recognize anything.

Is it referring to my DSL accountand password, or something else, like my computer user account and password?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#7]
try typing in http://dslrouter

and when you connect and it asks for a username and password, its going to be the one that you were given/chose for your dsl connection
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I can't seem to get the 192.whatever thing to recognize anything.

Is it referring to my DSL accountand password, or something else, like my computer user account and password?

there's a username and password associated with the router itself, independent of anything you may have on your computer. Check the manual for the router, it's probably still set to the default. (You should change it.)
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I really hate to be a pain, but it won't work.  I've typed in my DSL email account and password, but it just goes back to the same screen.  About every 5seconds there is a double-click soundand the page reloads (according tothe little green "page loading" bar at the bottom.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok, couple of things:

1. How are you putting in your username? You dont want to post it, but give me the format

ex. [email protected] or just asdf ? If you have entered one format and not the other, give that a try

2. Are there any capital letters? Make sure your putting your username and password in with lower and capital letters if it has them. Such things are usually case sensitive.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:21:09 AM EDT
[#11]
both [email protected] and just XXXXX
password : XXXXXXX

I'm looking at the user manual online right now, and it says exactly what you are tellingme, but for some reason it doesn't work.  I may have to call customer service to see where I am going wrong.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:22:09 AM EDT
[#12]
The router's password is NOT his DSL email/login/password or any of that.....

Routers have a default login name and password from the factory, that 99% of the time was never changed, as most people just plug the wires in, and the autoconfigure capabilities of the hardware and computer will make the correct basic (unsecured) settings for DHCP and LAN IP addresses

Most all default router passwords are easily found in online, downloadable users manuals.

many times, the default is no user name, and PW is "admin" minus the quotes.  Sometimes it's Username : admin    and PW: password

A little more information might make it easier, before you just jump in there blindly.

ETA: misread the first couple posts..... Edited to reflect...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:22:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Hope it goes well for ya. Sorry I couldn't help more.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:36:31 AM EDT
[#14]
67 Charger.....

You're probably best off calling your DSL company's tech support directly.

What you're wanting to do, is enable and configure what's called "WEP Encryption"  This is, simply put, securing your connection that the router broadcasts with an encrypted signal that's only usable to someone who has the correct "WEP Key" (a password you choose, in laymen's terms)

It's not at all difficult, but you'll need to configure BOTH your wireless router AND your laptop/desktop computers for it to work.   If you enable it on the router, IMMEDIATELY and UNTIL the laptop is configured, the laptop will be unable to get online.

This is why it's just easier to have them on the phone.   They can walk you through the settings, and you wont panic when you suddenly can't get back on Arfcom (or ANYWHERE online) after you change the settings in the router, to find the next step someone's posted.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:44:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Actually,  I DO have a wireless enabled modem. No router.  

You guys have been lots of help.  I think my problem lies in the fact that Verizon includes their own setup CD with the package deal, and it must have set some things up on it's own.  I'll call them tomorrow and ask.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:45:50 AM EDT
[#16]
JB69, you read my mind...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:49:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Also, here: Westell 327 router manual  is the downloadable user manual for your router.

Right-click the link, then "Save As..." and save the adobe .pdf file in My Documents or somewhere you'll remember.

THIS URL:  192.168.1.1/fwMain.htm should get you to the router's homepage.

Your default Username should be "admin" again, without the quotation marks, and the password is "password"

All are lowercase letters.... This will get you into the router's administration pages, with all the settings and such.  You can look around, but I recommend you don't change anything now, or you may very well disable your internet connection altogether.

Call the DSL tech geeks.... they tell people how to do this stuff all day, every day.  It's not difficult and you'll have less problems, in the long run, if you're not computer savvy.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:54:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Actually,  I DO have a wireless enabled modem. No router.  

You guys have been lots of help.  I think my problem lies in the fact that Verizon includes their own setup CD with the package deal, and it must have set some things up on it's own.  I'll call them tomorrow and ask.

Yes, I looked and saw it's a combo modem/router all-in-one unit. Starting to become more common with ISP supplied 'all you need' packages nowadays.

The setup CD generally just changes the applicable stuff for you to connect ON the computer itself, as far as browser connection and email account settings. It doesn't do anything to the router or modem themselves.  

Call em.... They should get you squared away pretty easily.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:58:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Look up the instructions for your wireless AP and do three things:

1) Set the SSID to something non-default.

2) Enable WEP and set it to a key that's hard to guess.

3) Enable MAC address filters that only permit your trusted systems to connect.  WEP is pretty easy to break, MAC filters give you an excellent additional layer of protection.

Steps 1 & 2 require matching config changes on the client.

Step 3 requires determining the MAC addresses of your clients.

Steps 2 and 3 are the most critical.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:03:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Look up the instructions for your wireless AP and do three things:

1) Set the SSID to something non-default.

2) Enable WEP and set it to a key that's hard to guess.

3) Enable MAC address filters that only permit your trusted systems to connect.  WEP is pretty easy to break, MAC filters give you an excellent additional layer of protection.

Steps 1 & 2 require matching config changes on the client.

Step 3 requires determining the MAC addresses of your clients.

Steps 2 and 3 are the most critical.

Think all that might be a BIT over his head    Poor guy couldn't even find the router login/PW.

He's best off calling the DSL co. and letting them walk through it, so's he don't knock himself offline and then not be able to get back on, because he didn't know what he did/changed, you know ?

Just seems the less painful way to me....  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:09:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Think all that might be a BIT over his head    Poor guy couldn't even find the router login/PW.

He's best off calling the DSL co. and letting them walk through it, so's he don't knock himself offline and then not be able to get back on, because he didn't know what he did/changed, you know ?

Just seems the less painful way to me....  

Yes, you're right I suppose -- well, I advise he seeks help from the vendor to perform the above tasks then
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok, the admin and password combo got me in to the change password page, and it is asking me:

"Administration Name ________________      
Enter Administration Password   ______________
Verify Administration Password  ______________

changes the systems administration password
not the ppp password"

Is this what I want to do?  Will this let me create my own name and password to proceed to the WEP settings?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I think I got it...

I locked myself out a few times, but all is well now.

THANK YOU!!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Geez, you guys are slippin'

"All your wireless DSL belong to us!!!"
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm assuming you have Windows XP.

snip

Ajaka what about win 2000 could ya help me out there I was able to change the admin and password. Thanks for the help all.  

67Charger thanks for starting the thread I've been slacking on this because I hate calling tech UNsupportED.

Thanks again all.

9 out

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top