Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 9:34:31 PM EDT
Think of gunpowder................when encased inside the cartridge under pressure (like the grenade), it will explode.

but when the powder isnt under pressure like maybe a hole in the grenade, will it still explode and cause dammage?

I am just asking this because I heard by shooting a grenade and causing a hole it wont explode........... this came up when talking about bunkering down in a bunker or a room.

What say you............ I say it might be possible but the time frame isnt into the factor because many
explosive devices (grenades) have different timing fuses.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Just off the top of my head, I would think the concusion of the bullet impact would act as the detonator and set it off.  Granted, the hole is then there before the explosion, but at that point in time, your odds may be about even wuith trying to pick it up and throw it back.  It may take a second or two too many to actually draw down and hit the grenade before it goes off.  I'll take my chances with diving for cover or throwing it back.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#2]
send in the mythbusters!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Send in Old Painless.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Think of gunpowder................when encased inside the cartridge under pressure (like the grenade), it will explode.

but when the powder isnt under pressure like maybe a hole in the grenade, will it still explode and cause dammage?

I am just asking this because I heard by shooting a grenade and causing a hole it wont explode........... this came up when talking about bunkering down in a bunker or a room.

What say you............ I say it might be possible but the time frame isnt into the factor because many
explosive devices (grenades) have different timing fuses.

Problem is, modern grenades are not powered by gunpowder of any sort. Black powder is a low order explosive. Smokeless is a 'propellant' and technically not an explosive at all.

Grenades have previosly filled with crumbled TNT, or moreso these days, an RDX composite.  These explosives are far higher velocity. They don't depend on compression to develop power like a gunpowder explosion would. They can do damage all on their own. The grendade body merely provides a fragmentation matrix.

So, to answer your question, it would still go off, and it would still be pretty deadly. The force of the explosion is not going to vent itself through the bullet hole.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are talking about an older pineapple grenade, I wouldn't surprised if a 5.56 fmj wouldn't penetrate it depending on where it hit.

Which begs the question if you are in a combat situation, who wants to stick there head up to take the time to get a good enough aimed shot off at it or wants to take a chance on shooting your buddies trying.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]
tag.  I've thought about filling one of the inert ones with tannerite.  Probably not a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I stupidly coated a m80 with BB's once
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:39:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
tag.  I've thought about filling one of the inert ones with tannerite.  Probably not a good idea.

Filling the grenade with explosives is the easy part. Getting a reliable delay action fuse is the problem.
If you do the tannerite thing, be sure and get your next of kin to post a report on the project..
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:48:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

ya that was dumb.........
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:51:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no property damage but a couple of sore hands and faces
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Filling the grenade with explosives is the easy part. Getting a reliable delay action fuse is the problem.
If you do the tannerite thing, be sure and get your next of kin to post a report on the project..

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of shooting it rather than using a fuse.  btw, I'm not actually going to do this, and if I did I would be far, far, away...and I definately wouldn't post about it since I'm not quite sure it would be legal...so this is all hypothetical (sp?) mmk.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:36:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dumb for me was filling up pieces of bicycle frame with gunpowder and lighting some cannon fuse.  First I cut the frame into chunks, bent the ends to "close" it, and drilled a hole.  Poured the powder in from disassembled shotgun shells (my only source at that age) and inserted fuse.  Taped it up to keep the fuse from falling out and good to go.

The only smart part was to position it on the other side of a large tree and take off fucking running towards some pre-selected cover.

It made a big boom, and I have no idea what happened to the "pipe".

ETA:  I grew up in rural Pennsylvania, so I cut my crazy militiaman teeth a little early
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:38:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dumb for me was filling up pieces of bicycle frame with gunpowder and lighting some cannon fuse.  First I cut the frame into chunks, bent the ends to "close" it, and drilled a hole.  Poured the powder in from disassembled shotgun shells (my only source at that age) and inserted fuse.  Taped it up to keep the fuse from falling out and good to go.

The only smart part was to position it on the other side of a large tree and take off fucking running towards some pre-selected cover.

ETA:  I grew up in rural Pennsylvania, so I cut my crazy militiaman teeth a little early

Hooray, 'youthful indiscretion.'
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:40:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn!  I tried to do something similar when I was in jr high, but I tried to use a plastic film canister instead.  Nothing happened.  Not even sparks.  I'm glad I stopped with that or I'd probably be missing a hand or something.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:52:39 AM EDT
[#15]
no

military explosives are specifically designed to NOT be shock sensitive

The last I heard, the filler was comp B, which is a mix of TNT and I think RDX,

TNT will not detonate when shot
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:29:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I have read of WW1 doughboys using 12g trench guns (M97 & M12 Winchesters) to deflect incoming German potato masher grenades.  Probably one of those military myth/urban legends but possible....?  The potato masher has the fuse running thru the wood handle & the metal body is just sheet metal (offensive blast grenade, not a defensive frag) so a blast of buckshot might mangle it enuff to render it no good.  If it's trajectory was altered so it landed outside of the trench then even better.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:43:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Dumb for me was ......

No.     Dumb is documenting your indiscretions for authorities.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:54:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Send in Old Painless.

When I was in Basic Training at Fort Polk, on Hand Grenade day, we went to the range.

The instructor warned us that sometimes the grenades had short fuses and to be sure to throw then as far as we could.

The Instructor helping me take the grenade from its carton was shaking like a dog crapping a peach pit and I asked him if he was nervous.  He told me it was his first day on the Grenade Range, and that he "hadn't done this much".

When it was my turn, I pulled the pin and threw that grenade about 100 yards.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:12:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dumb for me was ......

No.     Dumb is documenting your indiscretions for authorities.

Yeah, I'll expect they'll be over shortly.

Blowing up stuff in the woods is part of growing up, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:32:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, since the explosive filler isn't shock sensitive but the primary explosive in the detonator IS (converts the thermal energy of the burning fuse into a detonation), it is all a crap shoot.

If you hit only the burning fuse portion of the cap, it MIGHT extinguish.  But if you hit the cap dead on, it possibly could detonate the entire filler.

Back to things we did in the woods...I filled an empty 12 gram CO2 cartridge with flash powder.  Yes, that is a BUNCH of flash.  And then put a waterproof fuse in it, epoxying it in place with a chimney...

I set it off in a small oxbow pond.  The pond was 10-12 feet deep so the explosion was not loud, it only shook the ground.  And there was a CONSTANT stream of bubbles for about 30 minutes.  Nice flash, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top