Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/29/2006 8:19:48 PM EDT
Im almost to the summit of snoqualmi pass. But, my car wont make it. its about 2 feet, with compact snow. I was driving across the pass and without warning it started snowing like hell. All the other cars basically stopped and formed a gridlock. With no place to turn around I was forced to stay. Of course, the snow got worse. It took 4 hours for the plows to come through...but they didnt even make a dent in it. My car(BMW m3) has mud and snow tires, but the m/s rating is a joke. They are low profile 18" rims, but they dont make chains that fit, so here I am waiting for a tow truck. Ive been here since 2:30 today, its 9:15 now.  I just saw a 4x4 drive by, havent seen a car go by in about an hour. The last car stopped and told me there was an avalanche  a few miles behind me. Ive got half a tank of gas left, so far after 7 hours of idling its only used about 1/8th of a tank. Not, bad...I can hold out till morning on that. I have no water though, but do have 2 dozen frozen tamales I bought. Also got my AR....but no ammo. Do have my .45 with 2 full mags in case some bad guys come around.

gotta go
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#1]
SAR mission?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn......melt some snow while you have heat

SRM
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Im almost to the summit of snoqualmi pass. But, my car wont make it. its about 2 feet, with compact snow. I was driving across the pass and without warning it started snowing like hell. All the other cars basically stopped and formed a gridlock. With no place to turn around I was forced to stay. Of course, the snow got worse. It took 4 hours for the plows to come through...but they didnt even make a dent in it. My car(BMW m3) has mud and snow tires, but the m/s rating is a joke. They are low profile 18" rims, but they dont make chains that fit, so here I am waiting for a tow truck. Ive been here since 2:30 today, its 9:15 now.  I just saw a 4x4 drive by, havent seen a car go by in about an hour. The last car stopped and told me there was an avalanche  a few miles behind me. Ive got half a tank of gas left, so far after 7 hours of idling its only used about 1/8th of a tank. Not, bad...I can hold out till morning on that. I have no water though, but do have 2 dozen frozen tamales I bought. Also got my AR....but no ammo. Do have my .45 with 2 full mags in case some bad guys come around.

gotta go

Sorry
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn, sounds like a crappy situation to be in... I hope you are alright and make it through alright.  Let us know.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]
You can melt snow over the defroster in a empty bottle for water,  heat up them tamales too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude, if you get hurt/ die we are gonna be really mad at you

I summon the holders of the magical Arfcom decoder-rings of power to help our brother in need.......serioulsy
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Shoulda posted this in the Survival Forum, it woulda went 20 pages with all the lecturing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#8]
When you get out of this let it be a lesson. Be prepaired. Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#9]
damn dude.  

look on the bright side, you're not in an E30
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't feel bad... I got my Xterra stuck yesterday.  

Damned factory M&S tires are fine for the lighter shit but when you start getting a foot on the ground with packed ice under it, all bets are off.  

Winch will be installed come next season, digging out with a shovel sucks.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Which is why I have 3 liters of water, a couple bags of turkey jerky, some energy bars, a blanket and most importantly, toilet paper, stashed in the back of my SUV.

Getting stuck someplace happens more often than you would think.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Shoulda posted this in the Survival Forum, it woulda went 20 pages with all the lecturing.

We'll probably see him in the Survival foru next week, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Can someone please tell me what state snoqualmi pass is located in?

gaspain: Please be careful of CO poisoning, when you are running your engine that could happen.

You should always keep a small survival kit in your car for such purposes, such as a couple of MREs, water, winter clothing etc.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Can someone please tell me what state snoqualmi pass is located in?

gaspain: Please be careful of CO poisoning, when you are running your engine that could happen.

You should always keep a small survival kit in your car for such purposes, such as a couple of MREs, water, winter clothing etc.

Washington
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#16]
We were stuck on Stevens for a couple hours two weeks ago - AFTER I chained up the minivan  The passes can suck.  Good luck!

How often do you go over tha passes in the winter?  If you do it very often and they don't make chains for your bimmer, you might consider a separate set of Nokian WRs and rims for the winter.  They are marketed as all seasons, but have both M&S and Sever Service marks.  They will probably be mushier than your tires on dry pavement, but they kick ass in the rain and snow...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Damned factory M&S tires are fine for the lighter shit but when you start getting a foot on the ground with packed ice under it, all bets are off.  

HA!. ive had to dig out mud with a frying pan!   at least you HAD a shovel :)

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#18]
From the WA State DOT: www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/snoqualmie/default.aspx?imgparam=5

Snoqualmie Pass:

Temperature: 30ºF / -1ºC

Restrictions Eastbound:
Pass Closed

Restrictions Westbound:
Pass Closed

Conditions & Weather:
Pass in temporarily closed due to hazardous slide conditions, Westbound at Easton and Eastbound at North Bend. A reopen time will be determined upon evaluation. This report will be updated as information is obtained. // Snowing

Updated:8:20 PM, Jan 29, 2006
This is the most current info available
and is promptly updated when conditions change.

They have webcams on the site, if anyone can reach him via phone and tell him to flash his lights every now and again.  If its like NY State - the cams are tied into the State Police

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Ashame BMW doesn't make the 325IX still.  Or make an AWD M3
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#20]
we came through at about 1:00 and the roads were all clear things turn bad fast up there
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HA!. ive had to dig out mud with a frying pan!   at least you HAD a shovel :)

HA! I've had to dig mud with a peice of plywood. Least you had a frying pan.

And boy howdy was I pissed as all can be that night too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#22]
If the gods smile favorably you have some forest to trot off into to go pee, else you are forced to pee into a jar or just palin hang it out and go in semi-public.  None of the adjacent drivers will ever see you again so go ahead and hang it out if you have to!  Snoqualmie sucks with the wet snow and avalanches.  White Pass is almost better and does not take much longer.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I bet Florida is looking real good to ya now!!!  Stay warm, I hope  help gets to you soon!  P.S.  Open a window every now and then to get some freash air in there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#24]
what phone are you posting from?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
what phone are you posting from?

His cell phone ya nimrod, what do you think he parked by a payphone??
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes,make sure the exaust is clear from snow so it does not form under your car. Good luck,have a safe night.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Gotta love it here in the great northwest.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Here's the cam page for Snoqualmie...

wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/snoqualmie/default.aspx

Can't see anything right now (no shit, Sherlock ) but you can come back and check it (and the others) come morning to see how bad it was... and it can get BAD in that area.

ETA: changed link to a better one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Bet your dumb ass wish you would have bought a truck right about now.

I'm only trying to lighten the mood a little. I pray everything works out for you, I'm sure it will though.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#30]
tagged
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:42:28 PM EDT
[#31]
boy scout motto - "be prepared"

hope you get out ok.. let us know asap.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Ah, I betcha this is him - these lights havent moved in 12 minutes (cameras refresh every 11)

Something he can frame when he gets home!

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#33]
gaspain I sent an IM to a guy who may be able to help you. He is closer and has mucho better connections. Stay with the vehicle.

Keep us posted

Quoted:
Bet your dumb ass wish you would have bought a truck right about now.

I thought you got a timeout last time you were an asshole and turned a new leaf??

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
...<snip>... I just saw a 4x4 drive by....

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Where are you at ?

Exactly?....

and IM me your cell number?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Where are you at ?

Exactly?....

Do that!

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Someone drag 1Gunrunners big truck driving ass out of bed, he is only an hour or so from there.  

He could even have the Brown Dog bring liquid refreshments like in Europe.

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Someone drag 1Gunrunners big truck driving ass out of bed, he is only an hour or so from there.  

He could even have the Brown Dog bring liquid refreshments like in Europe.

Aviator

He is a couple hours away. R-32 is close and who he really needs to contact!

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where are you at ?

Exactly?....

Do that!

Cav, you gotta work in the morning?...

I will drive, we can at least make a shot at getting him some food/gas or down to northbend for a Hotel room...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow, i remember getting stuck in the same pass 12 yo, i know live in southern Oklahoma, but used to live on Whidbey.  hope the best to ya, i know what its like.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#41]
This is why you should always have a deck of cards in car. Becuase when you get stuck you pull out the cards and play solitare. After awhile some guy will come up over you shoulder and say, Put that red ten on the black jack. Now you have some one to help you.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Before it gets too bad, sneak out and kill another motorist for food.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I was only poking fun at him. No harm intended!!!!

I can see him in the Bimmer punching the airbag and yelling I wish I'd bought a 4x4....................
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where are you at ?

Exactly?....

Do that!

Cav, you gotta work in the morning?...

I will drive, we can at least make a shot at getting him some food/gas or down to northbend for a Hotel room...

Have you guys figured out which side of the pass he is on yet?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#46]
IM US YOUR CELL NUMBER
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
IM US YOUR CELL NUMBER

WE NEED TO HEAR FROM YOU BEFORE WE LEAVE.

WE CANT GO IF WE DONT KNOW WHERE YOU ARE

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#48]
So...

How long does that cell phone battery last, while you're surfing pron on the internet?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
We were stuck on Stevens for a couple hours two weeks ago - AFTER I chained up the minivan  The passes can suck.  Good luck!

How often do you go over tha passes in the winter?  If you do it very often and they don't make chains for your bimmer, you might consider a separate set of Nokian WRs Hakapellitia 2's and rims for the winter.  They are marketed as all seasons, but have both M&S and Sever Service marks.  They will probably be mushier than your tires on dry pavement, but they kick ass in the rain and snow...

Personal preference...Got a set on my Benz right now and they rock.  Can also be studded.  If you are interested drop me a line and I will try to get a hold of the guy in Denver who set me up with a sweet deal (4 shipped to NW AR---$500ish ).
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Been watching the webcams - clearly make out a couple plows working the West Summit of the pass.  Nothing on camera on the Franklin Falls side of the pass.

If Im reading the maps right, are both of those locations on either side (West and East) of the summit of the pass?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top