Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 5:17:55 PM EDT
I'm going bald.

While not a big deal in and of itself, the MANNER in which I'm going bald is what is distressing. Rather than having a full head of hair with a receeding hairline, I have a steady hairline with thining hair, and just up top.

So what ends up happpeneing is that if my hair is long, the top of my head looks silly, while if I buzz-cut myself, then the whole thing looks silly.

Is there any REAL solution (other than surgery, which I simply will not consider), to thining hair, or am I destined to look like an idiot until my whole head finally decides to act as a single unit?

Drugs? Shampoos? Anything?

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#1]
honestly see you docter he will tell you what type of canidate you can be for different kinds of treament....not many that work and not to many people qualify....

If not a good canidate..go bald and keep it shiny a lot of women think its sexy
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, before I can do the Vic Mackey/Jean-Luc Picard look, I need to slim down A LOT more.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Hair transplant costs on average about 5K per visit, and most men need 3 or more treatments.

All the drugs tend to be quite costly, and if you ever stop using them you will rapidly lose more hair than you were by not doing anything.

The shampoos, creams, herbal pills, oils, etc. are all bullshit and a waste of money.

You basically have two choices. Either shave your head totally bald or just accept your fate and get used to looking silly. As George Costanza said to Elaine's balding boyfriend in one episode, live the next year of your life as if it's your last, because in many ways, it is.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#4]
sometimes I wish my jewfro would thin a bit...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the same problem, fortunatly, being active duty I keep it short (like 1/4") all the time and it looks ok.  I have blonde hair, its lighter and thinner on top, so I cut the sides/back weekly, and the top monthly.  I'd go all the way to the skin, but my head reacts badly to total baldness (acne and crap).  Plus its such a hassle to shave every day, doing it for my face sucks bad enough.  Cut it short, or all off if you can, don't worry about it, some chicks dig it.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Just relax and play the hand that God dealt you, it's not the end of the world.  It only looks funny to you, no one else will pay any attention to it unless your actions draw them to it.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well, before I can do the Vic Mackey/Jean-Luc Picard look, I need to slim down A LOT more.

I'm fat and get away with it.....

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
or am I destined to look like an idiot until my whole head finally decides to act as a single unit?

I dont know what it was about that comment, but I just about kicked my chair through the wall! It just struck me as so GD funny!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#10]
My dad was losing hair pretty rapidly at around 45 and started taking propecia. It has definitely slowed the process WAY down.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Make it so!

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Shave it, buzz it, never look back.

Anything else you do, will be vain and ghey.

Real men don't need hair.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:04:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Try this style.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:09:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Try this style.

www.kilo943.com/images/bren_sweet%20mullet.jpg

ghey and with a handbag
I shave my dome. I wish I could just go bald completely. The head shaving gets old.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:13:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Just buzz it really short. It sounds like you're a bit too self conscious. It will look fine, and nobody's gonna give you any grief over it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:30:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Shave it!

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:32:50 AM EDT
[#17]

honestly see you docter he will tell you what type of canidate you can be for different kinds of treament....not many that work and not to many people qualify....

If not a good canidate..go bald and keep it shiny a lot of women think its sexy

Amen to that. Grrr...

Well! With an endorsement like that.....

I'm fat and get away with it.....

Says who?

Make it so!

Good one!

Try this style.

Uh.......... FUCK no!

Glad I could make you laugh, azhammer!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:55:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Go to the discount store of your choice and buy a haircutting kit.  Then throw away all those silly rake things to control the depth of cut and buzz away with the naked clipper.  Repeat every two weeks.  The return on investment should be ~300% verses cost of haircuts.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:58:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Go to the discount store of your choice and buy a haircutting kit.  Then throw away all those silly rake things to control the depth of cut and buzz away with the naked clipper.  Repeat every two weeks.  The return on investment should be ~300% verses cost of haircuts.

Oh, believe me, that's what I do NOW!

You're not kidding on return on investment! Haven't been to a barber in 3 years. Not bad for a $12 set of clippers!

I just hate walking around looking like a raw recruit (or an escapee from an asylum).
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:18:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Dude, seriously, its just hair. Shave it off, be done with it. Been shaving mine for 2 yrs now and I'm only 28! At the first hint of thinness, I made a preemptive strike. Once you do it, you'll wonder why you never did before. Seriously.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:23:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Hat.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:25:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I went chrome-dome once. Never quite got used to it, but I was uch heavier then, too.

I'm not obsessing over this by any rate. I just want to ensure the options are reviewed.

As I said, I simply refuse to get surgery, a wig, or a weave. Those are just rediculous. If another treatment might work, however, then why not look?

I just wish the old noggin would finish what it started and be DONE with it. This 50/50 crap is for the birds!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:26:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Just age with dignity man.  

There are a bunch of creams, scalp massagers, fufu juice, hair transplant and other new age ideas.  Screw it!  They are all a waste of money.  

Keep your hair cut close.  If it is going up top and your going to look like friar tuck then shave it all off, grow a goatee and lift some weights.  

At least you'll look like Mr Clean and not some cheese dick going bald with a ponytail or a phony ass combover.

Max

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:26:41 AM EDT
[#24]
shave it...1/8" or lower...or smooth.

No Expert

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:43:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Whatever you do don't be one of those bald head ponytail wearing fags.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:43:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Just age with dignity man.  

There are a bunch of creams, scalp massagers, fufu juice, hair transplant and other new age ideas.  Screw it!  They are all a waste of money.  

Keep your hair cut close.  If it is going up top and your going to look like friar tuck then shave it all off, grow a goatee and lift some weights.  

At least you'll look like Mr Clean and not some cheese dick going bald with a ponytail or a phony ass combover.

Max

+1
I have actually had better luck with the ladies since I started going bald. Just go ahead and cut it short. Grow a mustache and goatee too, they really like that
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:44:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Whatever you do don't be one of those bald head ponytail wearing fags.

There is absolutely ZERO chance of that.

Hussein, Sheehan, Feinstein, Schumer, Kennedy, Gore, Kerry, and Moore will all vote for a third term for Bush before that happens!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:45:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If it is going up top and your going to look like friar tuck then shave it all off, grow a goatee and lift some weights.  

Amen!

Of course, my beard isn't all that thick, either, and it hasn't decided what color it wants to be (dark brown, light brown, red, grey, and white). Sigh....
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:57:01 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
[Of course, my beard isn't all that thick, either, and it hasn't decided what color it wants to be (dark brown, light brown, red, grey, and white). Sigh....

Trust me, that doesn't matter either, just keep it trimmed and neat too, women like that shit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:20:58 AM EDT
[#30]

Sounds like you're already cutting it very short,

Your next step is to stop worrying so much about if it looks "silly" to other people.  This will have 2 benefits:  (1) You'll be happier, and (2) you'll save money by not buying of the stuff you're asking about in this thread.

Note the smilies... 95% of them are bald.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#31]

OK, OK!

UNCLE!

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:07:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:09:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Propecia seems to work very well for some guys.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Bic it!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#37]
I've been thinning out for the past 25 yrs. I've long given in to the notion that I'm destined to have a monk style doo, naturally. You should have seen my grandpa, solid CHROME with a tuft above the ears and around the back. Dad is 69 now and not far behind. And I'm not too far behind dad.

As said, it only looks goofy to you. Keep it trimmed nice and nobody will really care that you're thinning.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Shave and give it a couple weeks to get used to it.  My wife convinced me to shave and I love it now, so does she.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:43:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Like the bumper sticker the other day:

The more hair I lose... the more head I get...

(and my wife just smiled ... and smiled ...)

Ted...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Bummer Zaphod. If it helps, I thought you were goofy looking with LOTS of hair. So a goofy hair cut shouldn't make MUCH difference

I remember my high school typing teacher looking over my shoulder at my
p!ss-poor typing  and commenting "Marc, you're going bald!" Gee, thanks Mr Brown...

Well, I still have ALMOST as much hair as I had at 17, just cut a lot shorter, but the ol' forehead is definitely getting more prominent.

Could be worse. I could be a <balding> guy with no M1As in the safe
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm not losing hair, though it is going grey faster than my babysitter's did.

I've been known to de-hairify myself for summer months...

Goign bald is EASY with this dohickie:

The Headblade

I HIGHLY suggest picking up one of these at your local Walgreens. It makes shaving SO much faster and easier. Just takes a little practice, and boom...soon you're doing in 5 minutes what used to take 45.

It might look weird and feel weird, but after the 2nd or 3rd time, you won't be able to imagine life without it.

Hrm, it's startin to warm up outside...might be time to shave again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top