Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/29/2006 4:23:52 PM EDT
Can any of you guys sharpen a knife worth a shit?

I try, and try and try and eff things up so bad - I completely ruined a fillet knife - Dexter Russel which are top of the line fillet knives....

I have an electric unit you drag the knife through, a hand held unit you drag a knife through, my grand daddy's wet stone and a bench top grinder - oh yeah a damn dremel too and all that I accomplish is burrs and jagged shit etc....I dont believe in "safe queen bull shit but I'm about to quit using my knives to cut shit so they will stay sharp!

- How do guys get a razor like edge on a knife - I know it can be done.  Tell me what to buy or share some tips - A fucking dull knife is about as fucking handy as Chuck Schumer

thanks for listening
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Lansky sharpening system.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#2]
check out spyderco sharpmaker. not the be all and end all.. as far as i know nothing fits that bill, but i have made many knives razor sharp after buying one. and very easy and fast. there is an additional expensive diamond triangle stick that is as expensive as the set itself that speeds up sharpening of honery blades. that seems to be the biggest con against sharpmaker is the length of time it takes to sharpen a few odd knives here and there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd recommend a Lansky system as well.  Easy to use & works great.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Buy the cheap Lansky set and add the orange handled diamond medium stone to it.  You will have shaving sharp knives in a hurry.  The first edge will be harder but touchup once you have the angle is a breeze.   Excellent product.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Definately! Get the diamond stones if you can afford them.
The problem with sharpening a knife is keeping the blade at the correct angle through the stroke. A little off and you remove the edge.
Jim
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Two ways

Do search on "scary sharp".  Only thing is, you're not going to buy an overpriced kit, you'll need a piece of glass or tile, and some wet or dry paper plus some instructions.  Practice on a carbon steel paring or butcher knife.  (You may abandon stainless when you find out how easy a carbon steel blade takes an edge.)

This device will put 90% of the edge you can ever get with any method on your knives.  About $3 at BoxMarts.
www.outinstyle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MILI3247
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#8]
awesome awesome awesome!

Thanks Fellas!

Going to find the Lansky somewhere in town tomorrow and update tomorrow night!!!

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Two ways

Do search on "scary sharp".  Only thing is, you're not going to buy an overpriced kit, you'll need a piece of glass or tile, and some wet or dry paper plus some instructions.  Practice on a carbon steel paring or butcher knife.  (You may abandon stainless when you find out how easy a carbon steel blade takes an edge.)

This device will put 90% of the edge you can ever get with any method on your knives.  About $3 at BoxMarts.
www.outinstyle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MILI3247

Scary Sharp - whoa looks like you need to have a PhD in honing!

Again thanks for all the tips...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I have used both the spyderco and the Lansky systems both are good I prefer the spyderco system but its like 3-4 times the cost....
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
awesome awesome awesome!

Thanks Fellas!

Going to find the Lansky somewhere in town tomorrow and update tomorrow night!!!

Try looking at Academy Sports, if you have one near you.
Jim
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/

Register, it's 100% free.

Look in the Toolshed area in General Knife Disc.

I have learned soooo much from this site it's not even funny.

And get a Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker. Awesome $60 investment.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 on the Lansky sharpener. I was the same as you about a month ago, then I went for the Lansky system. I can now sharpen a knife pretty well, I cannot duplicate the edge that was on it new, or get it "scary sharp" but I think I will get there with more practice....
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#14]
The lansky system is good for those who are not doing alot of sharpening.  I used to use knives alot cleaning fish when working charter boats and ended up using heavy rods like this.  I actually use the ceramic to finish up after using the spyderco Sharpmaker.  To get rid of the wire edge I found using an improvised strop made of cardboard with a dab of polishing compound works pretty well for me.

Do not EVER EVER EVER use anything built into a can opener or one of those doohickies that uses carbide cutters.  That is the fastest way to destroy a good knife.

Practice is the biggest thing I can recommend is practice with whatever method you choose.  a flat stone works for some, others are good with crock sticks, and others with the Lansky type system.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I use a warthog sharpener, look it up on google, they are sweet.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#17]
The spyderco sharpmaker is the way to go if you don't have any experience.  You should stay away from anything electric until you can sharpen in your sleep, even then a paper wheel is all I'd use.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Try the "FireStone" small enough to drop in a pocket, will maintain a great edge with just a few strokes after the knife edge is conditioned.  It consists of 2 intersecting ceramic wheels that give a slight hollow grind to the knife edge.  You pull the knife firmly through the wheels.  Don't try to use it on a serrated edge however.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I use an Accusharp.  Cheap , fast and easy.  Otherwise I too ruin knives.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Lansky fans - I'm finding the deluxe system for $37.38 and the diamond deluxe kit for $73.50. Worth tehe extra baloons for the diamond kit?

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Spyderco Triangle sharpening kit
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#22]
tag
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Spyderco Triangle sharpening kit

BBB

Best Bang for the Buck
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I too was once sharpening challenged, but I've gotten very good at it.

First thing I'd suggest is get your eyes checked, seriously. You can't get a good edge if you can't see it.

I have a Lansky, and have used the spyderco, they're both good products, but after a lot of experimentation and use I've come to beleive a convex edge is superior, and it can't be done with those systems.

I use a barbers strop and wetordry self-adhesive paper and chromium compound on leather for a final polish, freehand. I get edges you wouldn't believe in under a minute if the edge isn't damaged.

Using good knives helps a lot too, most stainless, as has been mentioned, is very difficult to get truly sharp, and if you do it doesn't stay that way.

Factory edges are often too sharp, they leave a wire edge that is easily damaged, and then that damage propagates, so don't beat yourself up if you have trouble getting anything that sharp, it isn't desirable.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I've heard from someone in the know that diamond stones load up quickly and cannot be cleaned if used on something in the 55-60 rockwell scale.  Diamond stones are used for things in extremly hard materials like ZDP-189 or things that are extremly soft like carbon fiber.  This is why most high end sharpeners use oil or water stones.  If you use a jig sharpener (one with 2 stones that you drag the blade through) you will never get the best edge.  They are usually set to one inclusive angle that probably isnt what you're looking for from you knife.  For kitchen knives you're looking for somewhere in the 15-17 degrees inclusive.  For pocket knives you're looking for 19-24 degrees inclusive.  For machettes and bayonets you want 23-27 degrees inclusive.  Plus jigs will never create an edge as fine as the metal is willing to accept otherwise.  

Stay away from electric sharpeners since not only will they most likely give you a shitty edge but they can accidentally screw up your temper if you really screw it up.  They remove way too much metal too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#26]
man more great info - thanks

when you say - "wire edge" what are you referring to?  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Wire edge is a term referring to the extrusions in front of the actual edge.  It resembles actual wires sticking out from the edge.  It is on a scale too small to see with the unaided eye.  In most cases its only important not to get to that point if you are honing a straight razor.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I use the smiths precision sharpening kit from wally world. I can sharpen freehand, but this thing is quicker.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I sharpen pretty well free hand (hair poppin'/push cutting newsprint), but this guy's book kicks ass:

Razor Edge Systems

Spyderco's Triangle Sharpmaker will put a hell of an edge on a knife, too - especially if you get a set of the ultra-fine hones for it.

My final suggestion is to check out www.bladeforums.com and www.knifeforums.com and read up on convex edges.  You can do some amazing things with a mouse pad and some adhesive backed emery paper...  See e.g. LINK
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I use a Lansky for years now done dozens of knives for friends and family.

Their are some other similar systems that do basically the same thing.

But my Lansky is paid for and it does a great job.

Wire edge? Get a jewlers magnifying eye piece when you get to the mirror like finish sharping you can see this fine 'fin' hanging onto the tip of the edge. as you sharpen it just flops from side to side. The leather strap will break it off and allow you to have a strong edge that will last. As long as the wire edge hangs on it will be a weak spot and tear off chunks of the edge making the edge dull quicker. Sounds weird , just get a jewlers lens ( about 16X) and you will see what I mean sharpen the edge and observe the edge for a couple weeks as you use the knife and you will see what I'm writing about.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:44:50 AM EDT
[#32]
www.accuratesharp.com/edge-pro.htm

Absolutely idiot proof. Easy to use. Pretty quick too.

Most all serious knife guys rate this as the best sharpening system out there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:25:40 AM EDT
[#33]
A lot of people here are talking about the Lansky. When I go to their webpage I see a bunch of different "systems". Which one do you guys recommend?

www.lansky.com/products/systems.html
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:34:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Just ensure you're not "sharpening" at a ninety-degree angle.  

/reminds me, I need to throw an edge on my CRKT M21 tonight...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I use a Lansky for years now done dozens of knives for friends and family.

Their are some other similar systems that do basically the same thing.

But my Lansky is paid for and it does a great job.

Wire edge? Get a jewlers magnifying eye piece when you get to the mirror like finish sharping you can see this fine 'fin' hanging onto the tip of the edge. as you sharpen it just flops from side to side. The leather strap will break it off and allow you to have a strong edge that will last. As long as the wire edge hangs on it will be a weak spot and tear off chunks of the edge making the edge dull quicker. Sounds weird , just get a jewlers lens ( about 16X) and you will see what I mean sharpen the edge and observe the edge for a couple weeks as you use the knife and you will see what I'm writing about.  

NGO - that helps a bunch - thanks for your time!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I have used the "Diamond Deluxe" system for years.  I'm very happy with it.  The only down side, if you hunt in a deer camp you will get stuck sharpening everyone's knife.  

THAT is the truth.  I get cramped hands every November sharpening knives & my arm is bald from showing that they shave!!  I started with a 5 stone deluxe set but bought a medium diamond to get the initial edge & then just finish with the regular fine (pink).  I usually use the 25 degree angle as it touches up quickly and isn't too fragile..
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:41:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Can any of you guys sharpen a knife worth a shit?

I try, and try and try and eff things up so bad - I completely ruined a fillet knife - Dexter Russel which are top of the line fillet knives....
Don't take this the wrong way , but Dexter Russel are shit .

I have an electric unit you drag the knife through,
Garbage
a hand held unit you drag a knife through,
Garbage
my grand daddy's wet stone and a bench top grinder -
Might be OKish . What is the grain?
oh yeah a damn dremel too and all that I accomplish is burrs and jagged shit etc....
Garbage
I dont believe in "safe queen bull shit but I'm about to quit using my knives to cut shit so they will stay sharp!
Heh .

- How do guys get a razor like edge on a knife - I know it can be done.  Tell me what to buy or share some tips - A fucking dull knife is about as fucking handy as Chuck Schumer

thanks for listening

Well cheap any one can do it way is a laskey system.
Personaly I prefer the tri stone at work . I'm a cook . I also happen to be the only one in the kitchen that the Chef lets touch his knives . I also get goat roped into sharpening everyone elses knife .

Get a good tri stone and honeing oil .
It takes time to learn the skill , but it is worth it .
Start with coarse.
Move to medium.
Finish with fine .
3 passes per side . No more , no less .
If the blade is shit , use the coase for five reps of three .
Than use medium with five reps of three .
Than use fine with five reps of three .
Light even pressure .
I can shave with every knife I own .

After you have used the coarse to hone the blade never use the coarse stone again .
Only use a pass of three on the medium to bring back an edge .
Than finish with fine again .

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:23:24 AM EDT
[#39]
cheap: Lansky w/Diamond stone(s)
not as cheap: EdgePro
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:50:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:44:17 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Razor Edge Systems

This is really a good book to read if your interested in being able to sharpen things, instead of just finding a way to sharpen a single knife.  After reading this and a lot of practice, I was able to shave hair off my arm with a hatchet I sharpened with a brick and a small ceramic rod.  Once you understand how to make a sharp edge, you can apply that anywhere.

That being said, if you're less interested in knowing how to sharpen knives and just want sharp knives, I suggest getting a Chef's Choice Edge Select 120.  I got one of these for Father's day last year and don't know where my stones are anymore.  It's important to read the directions and practice to get the most out of it.  From what I've found in reviews online, any of the cheaper models won't do as good of a job.  This is the best set of features for the money that you can get before going to a commercial knife sharpener.

It's a little pricey ($130), but I think it's worth it.  You can easily spend that much on several $5-20 sharpening gadgets that don't do as good of a job.  Ask me how I know.  I've had one of the Lansky kits and while it's a decent idea, it still has some limitations.  The small stones and play in the guides allow for uneven edges.  The nice feature of the Lansky sets is that even if you do a horrible job, you've still got a usable edge.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:53:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:54:56 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Razor Edge Systems

This is really a good book to read if your interested in being able to sharpen things, instead of just finding a way to sharpen a single knife.  After reading this and a lot of practice, I was able to shave hair off my arm with a hatchet I sharpened with a brick and a small ceramic rod.  Once you understand how to make a sharp edge, you can apply that anywhere.

That being said, if you're less interested in knowing how to sharpen knives and just want sharp knives, I suggest getting a Chef's Choice Edge Select 120.  I got one of these for Father's day last year and don't know where my stones are anymore.  It's important to read the directions and practice to get the most out of it.  From what I've found in reviews online, any of the cheaper models won't do as good of a job.  This is the best set of features for the money that you can get before going to a commercial knife sharpener.

It's a little pricey ($130), but I think it's worth it.  You can easily spend that much on several $5-20 sharpening gadgets that don't do as good of a job.  Ask me how I know.  I've had one of the Lansky kits and while it's a decent idea, it still has some limitations.  The small stones and play in the guides allow for uneven edges.  The nice feature of the Lansky sets is that even if you do a horrible job, you've still got a usable edge.

I use the Chef's Choice for my kitchen knives and it does a good job.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:58:02 AM EDT
[#44]
EdgePro kicks ass. Best knife sharpener out there
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:16:07 AM EDT
[#45]
I was very indecisive on which kit to get. I ended up with the lansky kit with 5 stones course to ultra fine. To this I added the extra course diamond hone for major projects. This worked very well and knives seemed very sharp, until I got a small strop. Before using the strop, I didnt know sharp. Start witht the basic kit and as someone mentioned earlier go to bladeforums and register.

For now check this out... www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222864
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:37:15 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
EdgePro kicks ass. Best knife sharpener out there

I have the edgepro pro model.  Its great.  I just bought some clamps for it despite the designers suggestion that they are not needed.  My edges are as perfect as can be before stropping.  

The chefs choice's are the jennings-raven way of doing things.  They leave an edge that works but not very well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:42:17 AM EDT
[#48]
what do you use when the edge is heavily abused, pitted, and pretty much gone? I've tried stones and the spyderco, but it would take forever. say i want to make a knife from a file or a leafspring. what would you suggest?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:49:22 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Big +1 on this one!

I also finish the edge with ceramic sticks (Crock Sticks).
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:52:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Find an old man and have him show you how to use a stone. Then how to strop the blade on your boot or the palm of your hand.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top