Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2006 1:52:25 PM EDT
A computer at address 67.82.161.115 has attempted to access one of your system ports (Port 1554).

My question is what the hell does all this mean??  I get this kinda crap about 200 times a day and I'm about fed the f*ck up with it all.  Can someone tell me exactly what is going on??  Is someone out there trying to hack into my decrepit computer or what??
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#1]
its blocked... who cares... ignore it.. thats why u have a fire wall

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Turn off your blocker, heard you had good pron on there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
So much for an explanantion
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#5]
He wants an explanation, not a link...Geeesh!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So much for an explanantion

I'd explain it, but this is the wrong forum for that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:51:14 AM EDT
[#7]
If the other addresses are always different, then don't worry about it. If it was all coming from one address then it may be someone trying to pull something on you, but if the hits are all from different IP addresses, it's just static. On cable or DSL, you'll get alerts every minute or two if you leave your firewall set up to show them all. It's normal.

Other computers running various programs will occasionally try to find other additional computers running the same program. It can be a virus, but often it is just file-sharing programs, searching for other computers with files to share.

There are lists online of programs and the ports they commonly default to, but the problem with these lists now is that many file-sharing programs have port ranges enabled, and (in an effort to make them more difficult to filter out) they will use a random assortment of ports in these ranges. A couple different pages I found said 1554 is the default port for the "CACI license manager", but that doesn't guarantee this is what is hitting on your PC: www.keir.net/portlist.html
~
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:56:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Serious answer from a network engineer? Turn the notifications off. You're annoying yourself for no reason.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:22:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Serious answer from a network engineer? Turn the notifications off. You're annoying yourself for no reason.

I concur...

You will observe countless attempts from random host on the Internet attempting to 'access' your computer if you have the time to sit back and take inventory of each attempt. Most likely, each attempt is just a sweep being run by host in search of open communication ports. It sounds like you already have some sort of software firewall...which for most home use is all you will need.

Best bet, turn your PC off when not in use...dont connect to the Internet when you arent actively using that access...and let your firewall do the worrying about blocking rogue traffic.

You can use this site to assess just how secure your PC is.... https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:12:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Floppy and Macro, before you guys chimed in, I thought it was amateur night at the Improv
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top