Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2006 12:36:59 PM EDT
I have moved my gunshop to a new location and  now before ATF will issue an ammended (address) license, they have to do a complete inspection. Woo Hoo!! Just to change an address on a 15yr old business. Have done it twice before and was only asked a few questions on the phone and had license in a couple weeks. Now, since 9/11 they have to do a Full inspection just to change the address...................WOO HOO !! Been waiting 4 week now.
B.O.H.I.C.A on the way.
All my ducks are in a row, but the intimidation is almost overwhelming!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck.  At least you don't have to deal with the California Department of Justice like folks here do.  Be thankful.  ;)
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Have coffee and fresh Krispy Cremes.  Keep the dogs off site.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have moved my gunshop to a new location and  now before ATF will issue an ammended (address) license, they have to do a complete inspection. Woo Hoo!! Just to change an address on a 15yr old business. Have done it twice before and was only asked a few questions on the phone and had license in a couple weeks. Now, since 9/11 they have to do a Full inspection just to change the address...................WOO HOO !! Been waiting 4 week now.
B.O.H.I.C.A on the way.

If you get the right people, this will be your godsend.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The investigator acted pretty nice and not arrogant.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I just went through one. I manage an explosive company. They came in with 15 min. notice. They had 3 inspectors 2 were accountants. They went through my records for 8 hours. They even brought they're lunches.

The only thing they could find in 5 years worth of records was one invoice missing a date. I showed them the log where we logged it in and they let me write it in.

It took two of us to get through it. My Ops. Manager answering inventory questions with the accountants and me answering compliance questions with the other one.

We got through it. I was sweating. They assume you are doing something wrong.

They said they're next inspection would be anounced since we did so good.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They said they're next inspection would be anounced since we did so good.

Gee, thanks for small favors...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to have an FFL when I did gunsmith work.

The inspectors were always nice and profesional to me.

No sweat.

Balming
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I used to have an FFL when I did gunsmith work.

The inspectors were always nice and profesional to me.

No sweat.

Balming

I hope so..........of I'm gonna have a nervous break down!! My IRS audit was not this intimidating!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey KyBlaster, I'm in Western Ky just 30 miles south of Evansville, In. Where are you?  I have a girl that works for me,  her brother in law owns several blasting and mine service companies here and elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hey KyBlaster, I'm in Western Ky just 30 miles south of Evansville, In. Where are you?  I have a girl that works for me,  her brother in law owns several blasting and mine service companies here and elsewhere.

Ashland Ky. Other side of state. I have, however, done work in Rockport. Its been about three years ago.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've been through a bunch of ATF audits.  Only met one guy that was less than pleasant.  Most of them have been really nice people who are just doing a job.

I have never been through one so you can imagine how I am feeling after hearing all the horror stories. I have been in business 15 years and have only talked to the ATF once, they were looking for a certain lot of gun powder, so I just want everything to so smooth. I have nothing to hide, just fear the unknown.
After all....It's just a freaking change of address!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
B.O.H.I.C.A on the way.

I moved my pawnshop to a new building this past May and they didn't say anything about an inspection - I've had my FFL since November 2004. Maybe I'm just lucky?

I expect them to show up at any time for an inspection though and hopefully everything is up to their standards - we try to do everything by the numbers...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#14]
The first ten minutes are important don't get too cocky or smart with them and everything should be fine.  If they start finding problems it makes it a little uncomfortable...

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
B.O.H.I.C.A on the way.

I moved my pawnshop to a new building this past May and they didn't say anything about an inspection - I've had my FFL since November 2004. Maybe I'm just lucky?

I expect them to show up at any time for an inspection though and hopefully everything is up to their standards - we try to do everything by the numbers...

Thanks Doctor_Chicago.......Oh believe me I won't speak until spoken to!!! And only what I need to answer at a minimum.

Steve..........I was told by them that all NEW addresses got an inspection now since 9/11. Didn't know they were doing an inspection either, but the guy on the phone asked me how many guns I sold a year and when I told him he said it would probally take him 2 days!!  Last time, 6 yrs ago, I moved and they asked me 20 questions on the phone, ie, got alarm, how many entrances, what kind of building, and got my license a few days later.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I drink to your good luck
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I drink to your good luck

I'll probally have to have a few myself tomorrow night!!!

I know it will probally be OK...It's the unknown and the first time that worrys me.

Do they examine every single yellow form for accuracy? And what else do they do?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I know it will probally be OK...It's the unknown and the first time that worrys me.

Do they examine every single yellow form for accuracy? And what else do they do?

Don't eat or drink anything after midnight.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I just went through a similar check a few weeks ago.  The ATF investigator was polite and pleasant but quite thorough in her inspection.

Thankfully I love to do my paperwork properly and everything was in shipshape.  It pretty much wasted an afternoon and I'm safe again until next year.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img226.imageshack.us/img226/1176/colonoscope1mn.gif

There's always a funny boy in the crowd...........
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Just lay in the fetal position and avoid direct eye contact.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#23]
hope you get a good investigator - good luck

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just trying to inject a little humor... insert some comedy... lighten the mood.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just trying to inject a little humor... insert some comedy... lighten the mood.  

I know......thanks!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Back in '75 my brother worked in the S2/S3 shop at HLMR. They had their big IG inspection and he spent most of a month checking all their records etc. getting ready for it. The inspectors spent 2 days checking their stuff. 1st they looked at the normal paperwork where most places would have mistakes. They didn't find any which ticked them off. So they keep looking and looking and could find anything wrong. In the end they couldn't find anything wrong and the post got their best rating ever,  Sometimes its better to let them find something minor that doesn't really mean a thing just so they can say they found a mistake.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#27]
WOO HOO !!! IT'S DONE!!

Nicest guy you would ever want to meet. Hell he even liked guns and thought the assault weapon ban was the sillyest thing ever past!!
Didn't find anything wrong, had lunch with me and is coming back tomorrow to sign me off as done!!

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#28]
There 'ya go!

Hey wait a minute - coming back tomorrow?

Did he mention Assault Entry Vehicles and asked you if you had a dog?

Seriously Good Job!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
There 'ya go!

Seriously Good Job!

No, he is checking my used guns for stolen ones tonight on his computer along with some names of multiple gun sales (routine stuff to look busy) and is bringing the report back tomorrow to check me off as done. Said he would only be there < 1 hour. He is spending the night in town.
He was there from 8am  to 4:30pm but we basically BS'd for about 4hrs!!

Said I was probally the most organized dealer he had ever seen!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Must be the season.

I just finished an unscheduled inspection.

Got about a 99%. I forgot the write the firearm information down on a single 4473 (thank god I had the info in the book).

Both dogs are fine.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There 'ya go!

Seriously Good Job!

No, he is checking my used guns for stolen ones tonight on his computer along with some names of multiple gun sales (routine stuff to look busy) and is bringing the report back tomorrow to check me off as done. Said he would only be there < 1 hour. He is spending the night in town.
He was there from 8am  to 4:30pm but we basically BS'd for about 4hrs!!

Said I was probally the most organized dealer he had ever seen!!

That's what they all say right before they kick your door down and shoot the dog .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top