Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 7:25:55 AM EDT
I once heard a story about a guy who had a hunting cabin.   After some time, everytime he went there, he was finding that it had been broken into and his supplies stolen.  I don't remember the entire story, but after a while of telling law enforcement and trying to go the "good route", he took matters into his own hands.

He set up about 5 signs around the property saying things like "Private property, tresspassers will be shot!"  ect.  He boobytrapped the front door so that anyone opening it, would be shot in the lower torso/leg area, depending on the height and position of the perp.

He caught his theives, the boobytrap did its job and the owner was charged, convicted and is in jail for shooting them.

Is this true or bullshit?

Does anyone know the real story?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#1]
urban legends can be true, btw
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:30:24 AM EDT
[#3]

That particular story may not be true but the same thing happened in Baton Rouge
some years ago . Booby traps are illegal and you WILL be sued by somebody .
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:34:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
IIRC, booby traps are not a legal way to deter thieves.

Yep, i remember a few years back there was a guy who owned a convenience store & he set up some type of electrical booby traps for some perps who kept on trashing & stealing from his store. They got caught in his trap, got electricuted & died, he was charged with manslaughter.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know if it's true, but that would definatly land you in jail.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:35:27 AM EDT
[#6]
What if you set up a bunch of bear traps around your cabin because hey, you're just trying to catch a bear!
~Dg84
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:36:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, i remember a few years back there was a guy who owned a convenience store & he set up some type of electrical booby traps for some perps who kept on trashing & stealing from his store. They got caught in his trap, got electricuted & died, he was charged with manslaughter.

I remeber that story.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:36:42 AM EDT
[#8]
If the guy was on the other side of the door and pulled the trigger himself, would it have been legal?

I've also heard cases where the robber has hurt himself breaking into the home and sued the homeowner (and won) for medical bills.  (for example cutting himself on the glass that he broke, or breaking his arm while falling into the house from the window)

Judges are idiots
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:36:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I remember reading in the news about 6 years ago about a guy that had bear traps under his windows and a thieve did step in it and sued the homeowner, by the way the trap was inside the houseunder the window not outside.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I believe the idea is that one cannot use potentially deadly force to protect property.  Deadly force may only be used to protect life.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

This is my understanding of the law in Ohio.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I believe the idea is that one cannot use potentially deadly force to protect property.  Deadly force may only be used to protect life.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

This is my understanding of the law in Ohio.

Yeah, that's state specific.

i.e.
"The right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person, or property, ... shall not be called in question..." - 3:12 Mississippi Constitution
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remeber that story.

Me too. IIRC, it was in California, the guy did almost everything possible to keep them out. They ended up coming in through a skylight or something, and he put an electrified grate in it. One of the burglers got stuck and was electrocuted.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#13]
There was a report of that same thing happening in northern Wi. a few years back.

Sherrif was on record saying this was not over someone in fear for their life so the owner was charged
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I remember a story in the UK where a farmer boobytrapped a barn with a firearm, and the repeat burgler did get shot, and the farmer did get charged with (something worse than the burglar did).
I don't exactly remember the details however.  
I found one mention of it here:
thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=2367212005

...Recent pay-outs include £20,000 for a Scots police officer who suffered career-ending injuries while trying to arrest a suspected drunk driver, and, controversially, £30,000 for a thief shot while breaking into a booby-trapped barn....

~
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I am in no way attempting to be critical, how do you feel about killing someone over property like money for example?

I would have difficulty dropping the hammer on someone stealing my car but not my dog or guns.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:27:20 AM EDT
[#16]
i don't like the idea of booby traps.  what if your house catches fire, and the trap kills one of the firefighters who respond?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:40:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I am in no way attempting to be critical, how do you feel about killing someone over property like money for example?

I would have difficulty dropping the hammer on someone stealing my car but not my dog or guns.  

the way i look at it, today they'll take your money, tomorrow they'll take your guns; and  the next time they'll take your wife/daughter/etc.

there's only one way to put an end to it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Bird v. Holbrook is an 1825 English case dealing with this.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#20]
There was a true crime type show about this a few years back.  Guy posted a sign then rigged a shotgun to the door of his shop after repeat burglaries.  A young man was killed.  The booby trapper was convicted of something but I can't remember what.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Bird v. Holbrook is an 1825 English case dealing with this.

That is completely different IMHO

The trespasser wasn't a theif, he was trying to retrieve a peahen that had gotten away and stumbled onto the property when he was injured.  There were no warning signs posted, which was a big deciding factor of the case.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#22]
what if you set up a device to spray OC?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:03:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Rigging a shotgun is probably related to "lying in wait" which makes regular old manslaughter into capital murder in many (most?) states.

I've also heard cases where the robber has hurt himself breaking into the home and sued the homeowner (and won) for medical bills. (for example cutting himself on the glass that he broke, or breaking his arm while falling into the house from the window)

I'll say this is probably an urban myth.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
There was a report of that same thing happening in northern Wi. a few years back.

Sherrif was on record saying this was not over someone in fear for their life so the owner was charged

Yup, happened in WI somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That particular story may not be true but the same thing happened in Baton Rouge
some years ago . Booby traps are illegal and you WILL be sued go to prison then be sued by somebody .

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I wouldn't kill someone over money (already taken) but I would kill someone stealing anything from me, my family, or neighbors.  If someone is in my house  OR pointing a knife or gun at me or them it's not about the money or the stuff anymore.  That's what some people don't understand.  Yes, you coud give them what they want and see if they leave but it will be too late if they don't.  Drop the hammer if your life is worth more to you than theirs.

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE STUFF!!!  You don't get a CCW to protect stuff.  You don't buy a gun to protect stuff.  You buy guns to kill people.  (And shoot holes in paper from 600 yds ;-))  It's sounds harsh and it is harsh.  A mugger for example may just be interested in taking your money but you can't know for sure so it's not about the money.  He made his choice.  Don't let him make yours.

You might get sued but no matter how much that sucks you will like that better than getting killed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top