Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 7:05:15 AM EDT
www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20060128-075625-5899r

British school bans raising hands

LONDON, Jan. 28 (UPI) -- A school in London has banned children from raising their hands in class and teachers from calling on students with their hands raised.

"It is every child's instinct and every teacher's instinct as well because it is ingrained in us," said Andrew Buck, the school's principal.

"Some pupils are jiggling so much to attract the teacher's attention that it sometimes looks as if they need the lavatory, then when it is their turn they often don't know the answer. Boys -- and it is usually boys -- are seeking attention, so they put their hands up before they have had time to think about the question."

Buck said the same children often wave their arms in the air, but when teachers try to involve less adventurous pupils by choosing them instead, it leads to feelings of victimization, the Daily Telegraph reported Saturday.

To spare embarrassment of the students who do not know the answer, the school has incorporated a "phone a friend" system, allowing one child to nominate another to take the question instead.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:07:11 AM EDT
[#1]
WTF!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:07:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Only the British....  are they going to ban hall passes next???
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
To spare embarrassment of the students who do not know the answer, the school has incorporated a "phone a friend" system, allowing one child to nominate another to take the question instead.

So what are they going to do when the kids get the idea to pick on the dumb kid by nominating him every time?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:13:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Bring back the wicked head master to thrash them within inches of their lives.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:18:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I graduated in 2001 and it took me Basic Traning to shake the school system conditioning.  I couldn't even see it untill I was outside looking in.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:28:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I think kids need to be insulted by teachers more often.  Singled, picked on.  Grow some fucking skin on them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I graduated in 2001 and it took me Basic Traning to shake the school system conditioning.  I couldn't even see it untill I was outside looking in.

That last sentence is very important.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:31:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think kids need to be insulted by teachers more often.  Singled, picked on.  Grow some fucking skin on them.

I went through the French Roman Catholic school system in Canada where they had all of the above.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'll ad "spanked" to the list, but it would have to start at home.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20060128-075625-5899r

British school bans raising hands

LONDON, Jan. 28 (UPI) -- A school in London has banned children from raising their hands in class and teachers from calling on students with their hands raised.

"It is every child's instinct and every teacher's instinct as well because it is ingrained in us," said Andrew Buck, the school's principal.

"Some pupils are jiggling so much to attract the teacher's attention that it sometimes looks as if they need the lavatory, then when it is their turn they often don't know the answer. Boys -- and it is usually boys -- are seeking attention, so they put their hands up before they have had time to think about the question."

Buck said the same children often wave their arms in the air, but when teachers try to involve less adventurous pupils by choosing them instead, it leads to feelings of victimization, the Daily Telegraph reported Saturday.

BRILIANT!!!!

You jackasses....Now all the smart kids and bullies will consistently "nominate" the poor bastard who they know does not know the answer.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:40:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#17]
[Horsack]"oh oh oh!"[\Horsack]

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Bring back the wicked head master to thrash them within inches of their lives.

... and his psychopathic wife!!

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Now I feel really old...........when I was a kid you got "spared the embarrassment of not knowing the answer"
by studying the material and LEARNING the answer, too bad we didn't have those cellphones back then
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top