Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2006 8:57:40 PM EDT
they can't clean up after themselves.

...allow me to expand on this.  one thing i've found is that for some reason, people love to trash the stores they shop at.  i'm sure you've all seen the people who will just dump an armful of goods wherever they want, or the person who lets her kids pull stuff off the shelves and leave it sitting on the floor.  

as someone who's spent a lot of time cleaning up after full grown men and women, i've got to say that it's one of the most inconsiderate things someone can do.  if you've ever worked in retail, or any other similar job, you know exactly what i'm talking about.  one or two things here and there are no big deal, but there are some people who feel the need to wipe shelves clean and leave everything scattered all across the floor - and these aren't kids who are getting a good laugh out of it; they're soccer moms who want the one item in the back, and are too lazy to get it without making a huge mess.  i'd hate to see what their homes look like...

have you ever heard someone say "it's okay, they have people here who are paid to clean that up"?  well, they don't.  the task usually falls on someone who is far too busy to clean up after you.  fortunately, i've moved on to slightly better things, and i don't have to deal with it nearly as often, but it just irks me to see how some adults behave themselves.

anyways, i'm sure that there are plenty of you that can relate, and i've love to hear some 'customer from hell' stories

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I worked in the shoe department at Sears this summer and God, people could destroy that place in 2 mins without trying. I spent about 3 hours organizing and restocking the childrens shoes one day and a family came in a just desimated that place.  I was pissed off to say the least. I hope to high heaven I'll never have to work retail again, well not in a shoe department anyway.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#3]
When I worked at Cirucit City we had to spend a good hour every night reorganizing what was left of the store.  It always looked like a fucking tornado went through.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I got some bad news for you guys.  You will have a customer no matter where you work. The customer might be the next guy on the assembly line or department that your product is delivered to.  I can't think of one job that doesn't have a customer/provider relationship. Doctor, Lawyer, or  Indian Chief.  They all got to serve someone.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I worked in the shoe department at Sears this summer and God, people could destroy that place in 2 mins without trying. I spent about 3 hours organizing and restocking the childrens shoes one day and a family came in a just desimated that place.  I was pissed off to say the least. I hope to high heaven I'll never have to work retail again, well not in a shoe department anyway.

i sold shoes for about a year right after i turned 18.  it was a large warehouse store that had 6 or 7 people working the floor at any given time.  on a slow day, we had a hard time keeping up with customers.  they could trash that place in 10 minutes flat.  we had the responsibility of keeping the store tidy, but it was an impossible task.  we'd work for 7 or 8 hours(help customers, clean as we go, work in the stock room, etc.), and then it would rtake an additional 3 1/2 hours to finish cleaning up after the customers each night.

the worst were the mexican citizens.  in the late summer(especially tax free weekend), we'd have large groups of mexican nationals raid the store.  they didn't speak any english, and they made huge messes

oh, and don't get me started on the bathrooms
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What I hate is the mothers who let their nasty kids loose in the grocery store to poke holes in all the meat packages. They'll also run their fingers though the loose stuff like beans. Of course they're already fingering the fruit but that I expect to clean before eating. Finger holes deep into my french rolls ... no thanks.

I'm sorry, I still poke finger holes in the bread.......
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I got some bad news for you guys.  You will have a customer no matter where you work.

i enjoy helping customers; and despite the problems i've had with some of them, i've learned how to put a smile on people's faces.  i really like helping people and making sure they get exactly what they want.

...but some people make it very difficult.  i've only dealt with a few truely rude customers in my entire life, but all the afore mentioned behavior can make someone really hate dealing with people.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I worked at JC Penneys in Eastmont Mall in Oakland, Ca one summer in high school.  Very diverse neighboorhood if you know what I mean. Kids would pee in the dressing rooms so much the carpet was soaked all the time.  More merchandise was shoplifted than sold.  The customers were worse than friggin savage beasts.  My co-workers were pretty cool though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Dont worry someday you can quit working at the A&P, and get a real job.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:59:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Cabelas get's destroyed after a sale or promo event. Especially the camo dept.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Cabelas get's destroyed after a sale or promo event. Especially the camo dept.

I didnt think you could see the mess in the camo department....

har har har

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:05:22 AM EDT
[#12]
The thermal underwear also gets destroyed. Idiots rip open packages to see what it feels like and they just throw them on the floor. God I hate working there sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:14:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Gotta leave retail!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top