Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2001 12:50:59 PM EDT
Had my first sweet corn of the season today, it was so sweet I became addicted after the first bite. Hot, buttery and with plenty of salt. Told the wife to keep them yeller ears coming until she sees me turn yellow and round. Damn right out of the field sweet corn is good. I wish I could send all of you who like it some. What a treat!
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh yummm..  I love sweet corn.  Who eats from side to side, and who eats around?  I eat it typewriter style!  ka-ching!  Nifty trick that I learned from my dear ol' mum is to butter a piece of bread and roll the ear in that to get it all nice and evenly buttered.  I think I know what I'm cooking for supper tonight!!!

-Knockers
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I eat it typewriter style myself. The bread idea makes sense, tomorrow I will give it a try. I have sprinkled sugar on corn when it's sugar content is low,it helps but it is far from the real thing. Good sweet corn is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#4]
couldn't agree more.  finger lickin' good.  but you do know this is going to set the "there's more than corn in indiana" movement back a bit, don't ya?  [:)]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]
You forgot my steak and beer!
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#7]
That's funny ARlady, I did think of that corny song though (pun intended) before I posted. Your a sweetie too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#8]
More than corn in Indiana?  Are you sure?!  I grew up in rural Indiana - I'm not yet convinced.  :)  I've never nuked corn still in the husks.  I have thrown them that way, wrapped in foil, on a grate over an open fire or on the grill.  Makes camping even better.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh GOD!  You guys had to give me yet another reason to miss the Midwest. [:(]

We had some pretty yummy sweet corn in Michigan, but I must admit the best place I found for the good stuff is indeed Indiana.  You bastids!

As any great afficinado of sweet corn will tell you, the quicker the time from pick to pot the better.  Sweet corn that hangs around the grocery will end up losing the sweetness we all desire.  

Great.....now I'm hungry......

Michigander in Maryland
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Well guys the second round of horse racing will be going on this weekend in our area. When I get out of work I will head there and they have members of the Legion that go into Utah and pick some of the finest sweet corn, and have it cooked on a stick. For those that can get it no matter where, eat up, for there is nothing as good as fresh out of the field sweet corn this time of the year.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#11]
you cant talk about sweeet corn with out mentioning iowa. no salt, just butter. the best is the white and yellow. man, that stuff is selling over teh net for outragous amounts. its so sweet you dont even have to cook it, but if you want to mess with that i hope you have a strong stomach.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh my God....you guys are terrible!  My wife was from Wisconsin.  Her parents had a small farm growing corn.  I can still remember the sound at night of growing corn!  I became addicted to sweet corn then.  I'm so bad off that I am growing corn this summer in my garden but our season is shorter so mine won't be ready until around Labor Day.

I can't wait!!!

Geno
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Your first sweet corn of the season!!!!  Surely your joking.  We had sweet in mid June in East Texas.  Ya'll can have your snow, I'll take FRESH veggies six months out of the year.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top