Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2006 6:55:24 PM EDT
What works best for learning photoshop? What are the best books/websites for editing photos and such.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What work best for learning photoshop? What are the best books/websites for editing photos and such.

+1

A buddy of mine installed it on my computer and I ain't got a freakin clue how it works or what the hell to do with it
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#4]
i've been teaching photoshop since 1990

what do you want to do in Pshop?

make fun pictures?

Layers

its all in the layers
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#5]
actually, at the moment I want to take a photo I have and turn it into a line drawing. I saw an image of 3 people shooting AR's on this board and it had been turned into a line drawing and it looked really cool so I wanted to see what it takes to do that. I looked on google and have tried 3 different methods that I have found and I've only gotten one of them to come out right and that one still isn't really the kind of line drawing I was looking for. I've been working on this for the last....4 hours or so.  I know this is a learned skill...art from might be more accurate...but I gotta start somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#6]
www.good-tutorials.com/
www.pslover.com/

those are some good photoshop sites with alot of great tuts.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

make fun pictures?
premium1.uploadit.org/docZox///ketchuphead.jpg

premium1.uploadit.org/docZox///flamer.jpg

Layers

its all in the layers

+1

use layers lots of them
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#9]
The H.O.T. "Hands On Training" series of books by Lynda Weinman are great for beginners without being full of "fluff" that you don't really need to know.  Check Amazon or Overstock for one on Photoshop.

Go through a tutorial or two every day, and within a few weeks, you'll start know your way around the program.

My cat seconds the notion:

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll tell you what. I was able to teach myself Paintshop Pro fairly well, but Photoshop Elements is a BITCH by comparison!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

make fun pictures?
premium1.uploadit.org/docZox///ketchuphead.jpg

premium1.uploadit.org/docZox///flamer.jpg

Layers

its all in the layers

+1

use layers lots of them

and be sure to properly label your layers.

20 hours and 40 layers later, you'll thank me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Double tap
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#14]
The home of THE Photo Shop Guru.

http://www.4f-creations.com/

What man made PS and Bryce for.

Leave link cold for CoC.  It's a members site anyway.

One of his "tamer" pieces.

Background Bryce, Hovercycle ?, Girl PS from a few photos grafted together.

An archive of some of his older stuff.  Follow the 4F Digital Art I and II links.  Not Work OR kid safe.

ETA his CD2 has a tutorial for his style of work.  Mostly a blend of Sci-F, Comics and Latex.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:59:47 AM EDT
[#15]
The first thing to understand is the concept of layers in a photoshop file--that you can have multiple images in a stack, just as if they were printed images stacked up.

The first useful thing to learn is probably how to create and use layer masks. A layer mask is a way of painting with "transparency" so that you can "wipe out" parts of a picture above, so that the image-layer underneath shows through where you want it to.
~
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:08:00 AM EDT
[#16]
tag
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:22:40 AM EDT
[#17]
converting an image to a line drawing is really tricky

there are several sketching filters but i usually end up doing a fair amount of brush painting on a separate layer

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top