Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2006 6:49:13 PM EDT
Well, not really.

I had to test out my new forstner bits so... I had an excuse to make the bumpboard.

So I went over to my friends house to test it out.  His brother lives next door and has a 12ft high berm of coleche that he excavated from his trash pit to use as a backstop.  

So to be safe, we got about 10 feet from the backstop and LETTERIP!  We bump off three 30 rounders and a 20 rounder in about 5 minutes completely wasting the enemy scrap cinder blocks we set up for execution.

So as we're walking back over to his house, this guy drives up in a pontiac, I wave to him, and he rolls down his window and says: "Were you guys just shooting?"

Me: "Sure."

Him: "Well I just had a bullet whiz by my head! Was that a machine gun?! I hope you got a license for that cuz I just called the cops!"

Me: "Where do you live?"

Him: "Over tjhat way" (he then points in the exact OPPOSITE direction from which we were shooting)

Me: "Well I seriously doubt that was us because we were standing right in front of a 12 foot high dirt berm and we weren't even shooting in that direction. And besides, this is NOT a machine gun."

Him: "Well I just came back from Iraq so I know machine gun fire when I hear it.  I didn't come back here to hear that shit in my fuckin home!

Me: (thinking: "I thought a bullet went by your head... In your home?")

Him: "I hope you got a license for that machine gun because I called the cops!"

He must have said that particular phrase about 4 or 5 times throughout the rather one-sided conversation.

etc...

So I shake my head and say whatever and me and my buddy go back to his house and make some coffee.

10 or 15 minutes later his sister-in-law calls and says that 3 sherrif deputies are over there.  So my buddy and I get up and walk over there to give our side of the story.

They ask us: "Were you guys just shooting?"

Us: "Yes sir."

Deputy: "Were you shooting a full automatic?"

Me: "No, I was shooting a semi-automatic AR15 really fast using a technique called bumpfiring."

Deputy: "Oh. Well we just looked at the berm where ya'll were shooting and it didn't look like you could miss the hill from the distance ya'll were at." (Apparently they saw the small hill of brass and deduced our shooting position from that )

Me: "Yeah, we were being careful to shoot into the berm.  Besides, the guy who complained doesn't even live behind the berm; its just a cow pasture behind there."

Deputy: "Well, the guy was just back from Iraq and he heard shooting so..."

Me: "Yeah..." (I politely nodded thinking, "What the heck?  The guy looked to be in his late 50s. GI my ass...")

Deputy: "Well, from what we saw and your responses you weren't doing anything wrong.  As far as I'm concerned you were just practicing your second Amendment rights."

Other Deputy: "By the way...", he held up one of the wolf casings, "You don't want to shoot this crap in your rifle.  It'll coat the barrell like a varnish.  They won't let us use these in our M4s."
The only reply I could come up with was "well... they're cheap."

We shot the bull for a few more minutes until they said they had to go.  Then the first deputy said it AGAIN.  "You boys keep enjoying your second Amendment rights!"

So the busybody liar is probably pissed out of his mind that we didn't get hauled away in handcuffs.  The cops were GREAT.  They looked at evidence first then asked us questions.  They were genuinely nice guys!

The guy who bitched us out was just a nosy busybody.  He didn't hear a bullet crack over his because he let slip to us that he was in his HOUSE when he heard the "machine gun" fire.  

Unless maybe the guy has a summer home underground in the pasture behind the berm and we managed to clear the entire berm from 10 feet and the bullet penetrated the ground into his underground lair...

The only thing about this story that makes me sad is that a fellow Texan who lives out in the country next to a small town could be such a squealing little whiner about something that is none of his business.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell ya!  Good for you guys and the SO.  Sounds like the guy is a transplant, not a True Texan.  

And... NO dogs were harmed!  God bless Texas!  

TC

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I was waiting for this thread when I saw Swingset's thread a few months back. I assume the police didn't see the device. I am curious to it's legality.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Deputy: "Well, from what we saw and your responses you weren't doing anything wrong.  As far as I'm concerned you were just practicing your second Amendment rights."

Mutual Respect.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope you reloaded and emptied a few dozen mags after they left

ETA: I gotta get around to building one of those myself
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#5]
its all swingsets fault . i knew he was a trouble maker .

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#6]
It's refreshing to hear good LE stories here.  Seems like the only ones you hear about are the rotten ones spoiling the bunch.  Thanks for the post.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn you must feel gypped they didn’t even shoot your dog  or kick down the door.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
its all swingsets fault . i knew he was a trouble maker .

Yeah, it used to take me half an hour to spend 12-15 bucks in ammo.  Now I can do it in 2 minutes!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like a real nice group of officers, I'm glad to hear the good news.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was waiting for this thread when I saw Swingset's thread a few months back. I assume the police didn't see the device. I am curious to it's legality.

My question also.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I would shoot there as often as possible now.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I see a hole in your story - if you were shooting wolf, where did the small pile of *brass* come from?  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#13]
No, they didn't see the device or the gun.  We left both in his house.
We even asked them if they wanted to see the gun, but they said no, they didn't need to.

I think maybe the guy was a chronic "omg, call the cops!" type and they might've gotten complaints from him before.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Glad it worked out andy.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It's refreshing to hear good LE stories here.  Seems like the only ones you hear about are the rotten ones spoiling the bunch.  Thanks for the post.

Yeah theres been a lot of " Cop Bashing" here lately......

But yes that was a good story to tell about LE and our rights.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

We even asked them if they wanted to see the gun...

That was a stupid thing to do.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Now go bump a couple hundred more, just to piss him off somemore.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I made swingsets bumpfire device 4-5 months ago, works flawlessly.  I can shoot 3rd bursts with it or empty a 30rd'er in about 2.5sec.  I have a short 5 sec. video clip of me using it on my hard drive, but I have no idea how to link it to the site.  I could email it to a fellow arfcomer that knows how to link it here if anyone wants to see it.

Ben
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Now go bump a couple hundred more, just to piss him off somemore.

+1 for sure!!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#20]
We get people showing up when we shot High Power matches, you get about 8-9 ARs and 4-7 M1 and M1As going in rapid fire and the new transplants are there to investigate the machineguns.

"Those are machineguns?!?!"

"Nope, just Semi-Autos."
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#21]
heh-heh...I bumped a mag out of a AMD-65 one time....there were 5 calls to 911 in about 2 minutes....one of them swore up and down it was a B.A.R. on full auto.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Cool story.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Cool post.

One thing though, I would never admit to "bumpfiring" or using a "device" to help me shoot.  Give them minimal information.  Make them pry it out of you.  But as far as anyone needs to know, you have at MOST, a semi-automatic rifle that you have learned to shoot quickly and accurately.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#24]
so what is "swingset's" bumpfire device/method? would like to see it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Glad to hear all is well with the "bumper". Love to see my device bringing joy and controversy!

I have had the pleasure now of shooting alongside 10 or so LEO's who witnessed the bump-device. Some were clueless to bumpfiring, others had seen it before or heard about it. My last range trip I was the only civilian on the range, as a matter of fact and I did demostrate the bumper for the 5 guys who were there, 4 city PD's and a highway patrolman.

None questioned the legality of the device. Mostly all I heard was "Wow, that's neat". One guy did remark "Next you know they'll ban broomsticks". None of them were concerned that it constituted making a semi-auto a full-auto.

I am still confident the piece of wood is never going to land you in the klink. For one thing, it doesn't modify the gun in any way, and secondly it doesn't produce more than 1 shot with a single pull of the trigger, which is the legal def. of a machine gun. All the bumper does is provide a hard surface for your trigger to be pulled against. Your non-trigger hand fires each shot, by pulling forward.

You MAY draw the attention of a LEO for using it, but I can't imagine any way it could be construed as illegal. If someone can tell me how, I'm all ears. It's not like the string-method, which does make many rounds from a single pull. This is still "manual" trigger manipulation.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=332283
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
You need to invite the Texas crew out and we can let your neighbor hear what tennerite sounds like.

I'm not sure I want to expose my friend to so many, ah characters...

I'm in Bee county (south texas).  Not sure how many of the houston or austin crew want to drive 3-5 hours...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I had that happen to me before, the AK state Troopers showed up and said that someone complained that we were shooting full autos and they went through all our guns to see if they we FA's.  

They were cool about it, mostly because the complainant had been a pia for years about people shooting in this area where it was legal.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like some decent LEOs. Glad to hear they actually support out second amendment rights!

Next time you do some shooting there, try some tracers. You may be amazed where the ricochets go. I've shot straight into a berm and had them go 90 degrees from the berm. If you don't believe it, try it yourself.

While the guy who called the law may be an asshat....it's quite possible one of your ricochets did zoom him. Not probable....just possible.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#31]
See, we ain't all bad.

Next time dress up in a turban when you're shooting. And have a CD player playing that crap music they play in the gas stations while you're shooting. See what your neighbor thinks about that!

GR
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=332283

Wow, just went back and looked at that thread again. First page had Sarge posting 6 times..........
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#33]
richochets do some wierd stuff. We were shooting a .50 on a friends farms in the summer. Into a giant bank, probably 200 yards high. We ended up getting a visit from the police because a round went through a guys garage on the other side of the bank nearly a mile away. We're 100% sure that every round hit the bank, I mean its huge and we were shooting a the bottom of it at like 150 yards, IE no way in hell we shot over it. The guy wasn't mad he just wanted to let us know. The cops came over and checked it out, saw exactly where we'd been shooting, shot it a few times themselves ( in a different direction and left.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I am still confident the piece of wood is never going to land you in the klink. For one thing, it doesn't modify the gun in any way, and secondly it doesn't produce more than 1 shot with a single pull of the trigger, which is the legal def. of a machine gun. .

It's my understanding too,  that as long and the trigger is pulled each shot...it's legal.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Ha, that's cool. Happy ending and good police work.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I would shoot there as often as possible now.

+1
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#37]
1Andy2,

Those are my guys!

Check your IM Box

Breacher
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
1Andy2,

Those are my guys!

Check your IM Box

Breacher

Can you share with the rest of the class?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I just called the sgt on duty and verified the incident. I am his supervisor.

Breacher
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
1Andy2,

Those are my guys!

Check your IM Box

Breacher

I was checking my posts over the last few days to see if I'd posted anything incriminating before I responded.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Breacher

Good on your guys! It's refreshing to hear of LEOs who are professional.

Give them my regards!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#42]
What a small world. Awesome thread with an awesome outcome.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Breacher

Give them my regards!

I already let the sgt know that he "done good"!

Breacher
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:48:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Just fucking cool...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Nosy neighbor probably gets a pretty good jolt when he hears gunfire. He might have simply remembered the sound of a bullet going by his head when he heard gunfire. After Vietnam, it was hard to ignore things when the adrenaline kicked in. He was taking action in the only way he could.

Go ahead and enjoy yourselves, if he has a problem, he needs to deal with it. This is still America and he's not in charge. Gunfire is OK around here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I had that happen to me before, the AK state Troopers showed up and said that someone complained that we were shooting full autos and they went through all our guns to see if they we FA's.  

If FA is legal in your state, then it's my understanding that the LEO has no jurisdiction over an MG. The only question to answer is if the tax stamp has been paid, and tax information is not public. Only ATF can verify the tax record.

So when a LEO asks, "Is that legal?", he is really asking for proof of tax paid. You can be polite if you wish, but it's not his call.

Correct?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:22:31 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Breacher

Give them my regards!

I already let the sgt know that he "done good"!

Breacher

NICE!!!  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I am still confident the piece of wood is never going to land you in the klink. For one thing, it doesn't modify the gun in any way, and secondly it doesn't produce more than 1 shot with a single pull of the trigger, which is the legal def. of a machine gun. All the bumper does is provide a hard surface for your trigger to be pulled against. Your non-trigger hand fires each shot, by pulling forward.

You MAY draw the attention of a LEO for using it, but I can't imagine any way it could be construed as illegal. If someone can tell me how, I'm all ears. It's not like the string-method, which does make many rounds from a single pull. This is still "manual" trigger manipulation.

Just double check your state and local laws before using or admitting to use something like this. Minnesota has a prohibition against trigger activation devices design to increase the rate of fire. I'll see if I can find the exact wording... Found it

(d) "Trigger activator" means a removable manual or power
driven trigger activating device constructed and designed so
that, when attached to a firearm, the rate at which the trigger
may be pulled increases and the rate of fire of the firearm
increases to that of a machine gun.

Subd. 2.    Acts prohibited.  Except as otherwise
provided herein, whoever owns, possesses, or operates a machine
gun, any trigger activator or machine gun conversion kit, or a
short-barreled shotgun may be sentenced to imprisonment for not
more than five years or to payment of a fine of not more than
$10,000, or both.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#49]
This thread would have bashed "those damn JBT's" for 10 pages if the cops hadn't been cool.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Enjoyed this thread. Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top