Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2006 6:43:24 PM EDT
I got a juicer machine today.

Just a little while ago I tried it out for the first time.

I didn't have a recipe, so I was just cramming whatever produce I had in the fridge into the thing until my glass was full.

I put in a couple of carrots, two stalks a celery, a handfull of lettuce, a lemon, a clove a garlic, a tomatoe, and half of an onion.

Results: not good.

Note to self: putting a half of an onion into the juice machine is a bad idea, for two reasons. 1) onion mist is hard on the eyes. 2) onion is damn spicy ... it pretty much ruined the drink I just slammed it down as quick as I could to avoid wasting the food and energy.

Next time I will leave out the onion, garlic, and lettuice. OR at least limit the onion and garlic to a very tiny amount just for a hint of flavor.

Anyone know what the recipe for V-8 is?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not just eat it whole?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Lettuce (iceberg) is useless.... no vitamins or minerals to speak of, nor does it have fiber.  It is there for texture only.

I think you'll have fun experimenting with recipes. It'll just take a while and a few trips to the grocery store.

....and this interweb thing is your friend. search for juicing recipes.

I do know that V-8 has a LOT of salt in it to make it palatable.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Lettuce (iceberg) is useless.... no vitamins or minerals to speak of, nor does it have fiber.  It is there for texture only.

I think you'll have fun experimenting with recipes. It'll just take a while and a few trips to the grocery store.

....and this interweb thing is your friend. search for juicing recipes.

I do know that V-8 has a LOT of salt in it to make it palatable.

It wasn't iceburg.

It was something like "spring mix".
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Because I want to drink it instead, and use the pulp for making soup.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, that explains your avitar....

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
i think there a neat idea but they cost an arm and a leg to run .
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yeah, seems like it will be best for people who have a garden.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, seems like it will be best for people who have a garden.

my dad had cancer and couldnt eat solid foods so it really helped him for about 3 months .

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Take it back, get a VITA MIX instead, you get lots of recipes and you use the whole fruit/vegtable not just the sugar water. The vita mix spins at 30,000 rpm and liquifies everything, frozen strawberry seeds, grape seeds, etc. We make a frozen fruit shake in the morning that taste  great, soups, ice cream and they are wonderful.

Use the whole food item get all the emzymes, fiber and bulk that will fill you up.

Plus its a breeze to clean up.

Got ours at Sams club at Christmas best money spent for a kitchen toy, other than our Nutrimix grain mill.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Take it back, get a VITA MIX instead, you get lots of recipes and you use the whole fruit/vegtable not just the sugar water. The vita mix spins at 30,000 rpm and liquifies everything, frozen strawberry seeds, grape seeds, etc. We make a frozen fruit shake in the morning that taste  great, soups, ice cream and they are wonderful.

Use the whole food item get all the emzymes, fiber and bulk that will fill you up.

Plus its a breeze to clean up.

Got ours at Sams club at Christmas best money spent for a kitchen toy, other than our Nutrimix grain mill.

Ugh, if I had $500 I would.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have had carrot juice(you can add some celery or apple) it was pretty good
(you might also try pineapples, oranges, apples, berries, tomatoes, cucumbers)

I have never heard of using the "pulp" for\as anything edible
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The manual for the thing says to freeze vegetable pulps and save them for use in soups. And to save and use the fruit pulps in muffins.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The manual for the thing says to freeze vegetable pulps and save them for use in soups. And to save and use the fruit pulps in muffins.

Okay, I guess those are methods to get the roughage you didn't get because you were juicing
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Ours was a show "special" $350, check with Vita mix web site and find where a show will be. It's cheaper than buying from the site. Same thing as sold on the web just a show special discount.

Save up you money that's what we did, it's worth it! Our old blender is history. What convinced us was seeing a friend of ours using a juicer and how much was wasted and how hard it was to clean up.

I was traveling and missed my morning shake, the mall across the road had a smoothee store and they used the vita mix also. Talked to lady she said they used them for six months before the blades had to be replaced, Owner said they replaced a machine about two years ago and they run like crazy. I figure my home use should last me until I die! a good 40+ years away I hope.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ours was a show "special" $350, check with Vita mix web site and find where a show will be. It's cheaper than buying from the site. Same thing as sold on the web just a show special discount.

Save up you money that's what we did, it's worth it! Our old blender is history. What convinced us was seeing a friend of ours using a juicer and how much was wasted and how hard it was to clean up.

I was traveling and missed my morning shake, the mall across the road had a smoothee store and they used the vita mix also. Talked to lady she said they used them for six months before the blades had to be replaced, Owner said they replaced a machine about two years ago and they run like crazy. I figure my home use should last me until I die! a good 40+ years away I hope.

The soup cooking trick looks pretty cool. But I think a regular blender and the microwave could do it just as well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#16]
You have my attention.  Which one did you buy?    
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You have my attention.  Which one did you buy?    

The cheapest one they had at walmart.

www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2593953

Pure impulse buy.

I'm probably going to try to take it back and get something that works better. Maybe I'll get really drunk some night and slap the vita-mix on my credit card.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Only takes about three minutes from start to finish to get it to boil water. (We start with hot tap water to help.)
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Only takes about three minutes from start to finish to get it to boil water. (We start with hot tap water to help.)

... and it's all heat from the friction between moving parts?

It seems like boiling a lot of liquids that way would cause a lot of wear on the thing after a while.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:35:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Heat is from the speed of the blade moving in the liquid! Moves at 30,000+ rpm.  
You can put cold water, have have it boiling in less tahnten minutes, why you would but it does it, kind of cool to do it once, twice for you friends, third time for their friends, then it gets boring to do.

the machine stays cool.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:38:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Smoke and Mirrors?

who knows ... I notice the guy is a juicer salesman, so no surprise that he's saying "don't buy that glorified blender ... buy one of my juicers instead".

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#23]
"the nutrients cannot pass directly into the blood stream as does pure juice from a juicer, and thus must go to the stomach and through the digestive process."

What kind of anotmy do these people have, everything I eat goes to my stomach first!

What they are pointing out is confirms what  I said earlier, a juicer extracts the sugar water from the food, so of course you feel better faster, and sugar is sugar no matter what form it starts out as first.

When the blender mixes it liquifies the food, if it is thick then we add some juice or water, so what? Doesn't take anything away from the food nutrition wise.
Kind of sounds like a juicer saleman, I guess I sound like a vita mix salesman.... not
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
"the nutrients cannot pass directly into the blood stream as does pure juice from a juicer, and thus must go to the stomach and through the digestive process."

What kind of anotmy do these people have, everything I eat goes to my stomach first!

They are probably talking about sublingual absorption
www.positivehealth.com/permit/Articles/Colon%20Health/lea13.htm
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#25]
That guy on TV that sells the juicer machine sure has big eyebrows.  

That's the main reason I'll never buy one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Jeez man, just get some carrots and juice those.

If you don't like that then add some apple.

Screw all the idiots.  Keep it simple!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#27]
'Sublingual'? that happens under the tougue... so thay want you to hold the juice under you tougne? I'll pass.
Beisde what happens to what you don't absorb under your tougue? Mine goes to my somacth where untill my stomach acid makes it more acidic than most acids ready to be digestid
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I didn't read the pitch you are talking about but, if they are claiming it goes directly into the bloodstream
that is probably what they are talking about, that the "pure" juice is absorbed under the tongue(not all of it)
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:24:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Jeez man, just get some carrots and juice those.

If you don't like that then add some apple.

Screw all the idiots.  Keep it simple!

exactly, just liquidfy everything, pour into glass,  add water back into blender and a little dish soap, place back on machine, run for ten seconds, rinse out soapy water, place on dish rack let dry. simple. ( the blades don't come off, simple)
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Heat is from the speed of the blade moving in the liquid! Moves at 30,000+ rpm.  
You can put cold water, have have it boiling in less tahnten minutes, why you would but it does it, kind of cool to do it once, twice for you friends, third time for their friends, then it gets boring to do.

the machine stays cool.

They also claim that you can make ice cream with the thing. Strange. It can boil water, and freeze cream.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#31]
NO onion and NO garlic unless you are deeply religious
Leafy vegetables don't juice well
fruit with fruit /  veggies with veggies
we buy frozen blueberries and then we freeze bananas(which does the sweetening) and we freeze our peaches and cherries.
  When produce is fresh in the summer months we mix any fresh fruit with the frozen to get the frozen drinks.
  for healthy veggie drinks we keep it plain...carrots only    
possibly carrots and celery
if we do beets or cabbage we do it by itself and don't try to mix those stonger flavors
if you get wierd on the mixtures you'll end up throwing out more than you wish to...
If you do health drink mixes you can throw in the measure of that with the fruit or veggies and enjoy ...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top