Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2006 6:03:07 PM EDT
I have a new Safariland 002 that is a little stiff to draw even with the screws backed out all the way. I'd like to bend it a bit to loosen and then use the adjustment screws as intended.

What is the best way to heat the kydex for this? Will steam work? Heat from a 1,200 watt hair dryer?

All advise appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the kydex method is to wrap the pistol in the plastic package holster came in
put the pistol in the holster, leave it in overnight, they say that will loosen it up enough

Here is a website that addresses your question
www.ballisticreview.com/glockfaq.html

BREAKING-IN PLASTIC HOLSTERS

Q. Please explain the Saran-wrap break-in for holsters.

A. I used it for the Glock plastic holster. You can use it on others of similar material.

You wrap your firearm with Saran Wrap (about 2-3 layers), then put the gun in the holster and leave it for several hours or overnight. Remove the gun and spray Armor All on the inside of the holster to slicken it up. After that dose of Armor all wore off (about 2 days), no more was needed and the gun went in and out of the holster with ease.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:24:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I have used a heat gun to soften the kydex enough to allow it to be remolded or bent slightly.  I'm sure a hair dryer would also work.  

Be carefull not to let the kydex get too hot and wear gloves while you heat and reshape the plastic (the kydex will be too hot to hold when it is hot enought to bend).  Also, you will need to hold the kydex in the shape you want until it cools down enough to reharden and retain the new shape (the kydex has a "memory" and will tend to return to its original shape if you don't) .
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. The wife had a 1600 watt hair dryer (not the 1200 I remembered) and it only took a couple of minutes to soften enough to do what I wanted done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top