Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2006 5:57:22 PM EDT
A buddy of mine told me that his dad gave him a FN 49 several years ago.  Says it is in near perfect shape.  It is a early 50's import and safe kept.  He asked if I was interested in buying it.  I told him I was, but he wasn't sure what he would ask for it.  Said he considered selling a year or so ago for $850, but now has done some research and is thinking in the $1000 - $1250 range.  Is this a fair price provided the rifle is everything he says it is?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Admittedly I don’t know what the going prices are anyway, but I think you’re going to need more information before anyone can give you a good answer.

For starters, what is the caliber?

Any idea who was it made for (does it have a crest on the receiver)?

Is it all original?

Probably the lest valuable FN-49’s are the Egyptian 8MM’s (which, incidentally, will sometimes slam fire on you since the Egyptians decided they didn’t need the firing pin safety!).

That said, FN-49 prices have really skyrocketed, so the prices you’re mentioning don’t sound wildly unrealistic (assuming it’s in original, decent condition and not an Egyptian).

You might want to post this in our C&R Forum for a better answer.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I've owned two FN49s. One 8mm and one 3006. Both were accurate, but not nearly as much as my M1s. The 8mm doubled on me a lot. I was told it had excessive headspace. I got rid of them both. Nice rifles as curios but that is about it. Get an M1 if you want a serious battle rifle. Oh, and $1250 is more than I paid for both rifles together.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#3]
You need to go here p102.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm52

Register so you can use the forum. Post your question with DETAILS of the rifle and Goose will answer you. He is THE authority on FN49s. Even has a book out about them. He also wrote the article that was recently in the American Rifleman.

If it's pristine example of a certain model it could be worth that. Generally they go for $400 - $800 depending on model.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]
At the local shows they are around $700 bucks. $1250 is a bit steep unless perfect.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've owned two FN49s. One 8mm and one 3006. Both were accurate, but not nearly as much as my M1s. The 8mm doubled on me a lot. I was told it had excessive headspace. I got rid of them both. Nice rifles as curios but that is about it. Get an M1 if you want a serious battle rifle. Oh, and $1250 is more than I paid for both rifles together.

From what I've found out about them it's the older one piece firing pin that's to blame, you can get two piece pins for them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#6]
For $1250, it would have to be a 30-06 or 7mm in mint condition.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:15:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
For $1250, it would have to be a 30-06 or 7mm in mint condition.

It is 7mm IIRC.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Talk to goose52 over on the falfiles, he just finished writing a book on the FN-49

www.fn49.com/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top