BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2001 12:12:52 PM EDT
Impressions on this nice looking piece.
Thanks,
BrenLover
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Slim as a Hi Power, accurate as a Sig, reliable as a Beretta, ergonomic as an HK.......And priced equal to all four combined.

SRM
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Slim as a Hi Power, accurate as a Sig, reliable as a Beretta, ergonomic as an HK.......And priced equal to all four combined.

SRM
View Quote

Combined?

I can go to the next Bob Pope gun show and buy any one of 20 brand new P99's for about $600 each.

I just might do that that, too. The OD green model is calling my name. They use Beretta mags perfectly, with no mods. Every aspect of the M92 mag and the P99 mags are identical, except the baseplate.

Bet that hurts, if you paid about $100 each for factory preban P99 mags.[;)]

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a OD Green P99 in 40...  [b]I love it![/b]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#4]
My ONLY complaint is preban high caps are REALLY EXPENSIVE. My buddy has a .40 in green and loves it. I've got a green 9mm and love it. And another guy in my crew has a green 9mm with a factory threaded barrel and a sweet suppresor.

So much better than the Glock, just for the decocker alone, that it ain't funny. I have only two pics over the P99.

They are the HKUSP for function and features.

And the Beretta M9 for easy supply of high caps on a reliable weapon.

If high caps were readily available for all I'd pick the P99 over the Beretta M9, but not over the USP9.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If high caps were readily available for all I'd pick the P99 over the Beretta M9, but not over the USP9.
View Quote

Well, THAT goes without saying![;)] I already own a USP9F, and it is the very last hangun I will get rid of, as well as the first one I will grab if something is wrong (assuming there re no carbines or shotguns in the area). It also carries pretty nice.

There is no substitute for the expensive hicaps in the USP tho, like the Beretta mags in the P99. The six hicaps I bought for my USP nearly broke me.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#6]
My brother has one in 9mm.  I have shot it a few times in our tactical club.  It shoots very reliably and accurately.  Double taps are a no brainer with that trigger.  I will own one!
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone tried more than one of the three available modes of operation in these pistols? Which would you recommend?
BrenLover
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had mine for a while now and have no complaints at all about it. The Mec-Gar mags are nice but kinda expensive.
Juggernaut, Are you talking about the mags that fit into the Beretta 92fs?
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#9]
For those of you with the 9mm's, you can use the P88 hi-cap mags...  they will stick out about an 1/8", but you get 15+1.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've had mine for a while now and have no complaints at all about it. The Mec-Gar mags are nice but kinda expensive.
Juggernaut, Are you talking about the mags that fit into the Beretta 92fs?
View Quote

Yes, so spend not another dime on those Walther mags, the 92fs mags are the same thing. Feedlips, angle, everthing but the differently shaped floorplate, which is no big deal.

Decent to excellent 92fs can be found for $20-50, depending on where you buy, and with all of the imported Asian and South African Military contract magazines being imported, you can save a bundle on hi-caps, and not lose any reliability or functionality.(BTW, Mec-Gars ARE excellent magazines, my first choice after factory mags in about any gun).

BTW, the 96 mags work in the .40, though they are not nearly as plentiful.

Don't thank me, just send me money[;)].

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Juggernaut, I have a P99{+mag} sitting in front of me and a factory mag for a 92fs 9mm. The mags look the same except the floorplate and the location of mag catch. The mag catch on the Mec-Gar is a full inch above the factory mag for the 92fs. When you put the mag into the gun the mag can easily be removed with no effort. I don't see how this mag can be used in the P99.
Alex
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Juggernaut, I have a P99{+mag} sitting in front of me and a factory mag for a 92fs 9mm. The mags look the same except the floorplate and the location of mag catch. The mag catch on the Mec-Gar is a full inch above the factory mag for the 92fs. When you put the mag into the gun the mag can easily be removed with no effort. I don't see how this mag can be used in the P99.
Alex
View Quote

Whaa...?

Then the guy that I know who's using the P99 must have modified his magazines with a new/extra catch. I couldn't tell when I looked at them, and he said they were stock 92fs, and was bragging about what a savings that was. I looked at them and they were marked made as Beretta factory magazines.

OK. I guess I'm spreading misinformation here, I'll corner him next time I see him, and ask if he drilled another mag catch hole. If he did, he touched it up very well.

MY BAD![:|]

(sheepish)Juggernaut
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#13]
It's all good. I even tried the Mec-Gar in my 92fs with the same results.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the 9mm P99 2000 commemorative model (cut & paste this url:  http://www.carl-walther.de/englisch/defense/defense-81.html) which I haven't fired.  Still like my P88 Compact.

good review: [url]www.saftek.com/firearms/walther.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#15]
These are good pages to check on the P99.

[url]http://www.geocities.com/pentagon/quarters/2188/index.html[/url]

[url]http://www.geocities.com:0080/pentagon/quarters/2188/new.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I like them. I have more than one.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I have about six guns I haven't shot.

The P99 is one of them.

Too many guns, so little time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#18]
anyone else out there confirm that the P88 mags will work in the p99????
I have one and love it.  I just finished off my first 1000 rds through it earlier 2night.

I hear that it has been adopted by one of our local PDs as their "primary" weapon... but then i hear lots of bulll....
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top