Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2006 1:31:45 PM EDT
Recently my employer decided to become .mil friendly and will now match pay for reservists who are deployed/training. I've always regretted not joining the military straight out of high school, and I wasn't able to afford the pay difference, until now.

I've done some research and I think the Navy Reserve will be the best fit. I want to come in as a Master at Arms. I am 28 yoa with a AA in Criminal Justice. I have been employed as a Deputy Sheriff for the last 18 months. Prior to that I was a Shift Commander at a county jail.

What can I expect as far as training goes in terms of length and locations? Can I come in at a higher pay grade with my experience? What should I plan for if/when I go to the recruiter?

ANY information will be appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The Navy Reserve has the most flexible system of all the reserve components for matching your civilian job training to your military work field (in the Navy it's called a rating).  I know of at least one older fellow who came in as a Naval Reserve Journalist (using his civilian skills as a writer).

I'd think you would be eligible to come in directly and use your LE skills as a Master at Arms, Security Police, or as a weapons trainer.

As a reservist you would also be eligible to shoot on the Navy Reserve Rifle and Pistol Teams, both in bullseye and combat disciplines (www.usnst.org).

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#3]

With the MA Rate, I'd be prepared to deploy as soon as your 84 days are up.

You'll spent about a year drilling "traditionally."   This will be at the local Reserve Center as part of the NPSAC unit (Non Prior Service Accession.)  After about a year, you'll AT for boot camp (17 days.)  They will probably bring you aboard as a GM (Gunners Mate.)  After boot, you'll have the opportunity to cross rate into the MA rate.

After you have a total of 84 days of training (all drills, boot camp,  etc,) you are legal to be deployed OCUNUS.

The Naval Reserve is taking a bunch of what I call the "Naval Infantry" mission.  Security Detachments, Mobile Inshore Warfare, Small Boat Units.  They are being deployed, mostly for 1 year.

If you still have questions, PM me.

Screech
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You'll have to talk with a recuiter to determine you're enlistment options.

I'm not even sure you can come in as an MAA as I think they're all E-4 and above and gleamed from other ratings. A recuiter would know. Get everything in writing. Everything.

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR.......The only true MA are E-7 and above E4-E6 are taken from the ranks and still hold their Rate........FYI
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top