Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2006 12:39:06 PM EDT
Bought some today at Wallyworld. Had some in St. Thomas this past week and wanted to try them again.

So, how best to cook them? Oven? If so, what temp, how long? Grill (outside)? I'm leery of grilling them because obviously you have to be careful not to overdo them as fish is so touchy about length of time cooked. Nonetheless, if grilling is best how long and what flame height on my gas grill? I'm sure these aren't like cooking beef steaks, right?

Also, can they be frozen until it's time to have them?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Pan sear or grill sear them on HIGH heat on each side for 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Blackened! Eat Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#3]
With indirect heat and smoke in a two chamber grill using natural wood charcoal and a wet chunks of a mild wood like peach.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I just soak mine in Italian salad dressing then grill it.  I use a fish basket when on the grill.

This also works for shark and gator tail.

Take it easy...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Each side seared on a charcoal grill, warm in the middle.

Sea salt, fresh ground pepper and lemon.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Pan sear or grill sear them on HIGH heat on each side for 2 minutes.

Thats about 1 minute too long.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, you want a nice uncooked middle for tuna.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#8]
However you normally cook dolphin
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Id try to grill them but expect they are beyond my cooking ability and would turn out bad.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
With indirect heat and smoke in a two chamber grill using natural wood charcoal and a wet chunks of a mild wood like peach.

Id go with this one for shure.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#11]
When I had my resturant one of the best selling menu items was Terriaki Tuna Steak. We marinated in Terriaki for a couple days and then cooked them on the flat grill with red bermuda onion rings. Served bedded on a lightly dilled rice pillaf. Be careful not to over-cook tuna...it should be done with just a tiny stripe of raw in the middle.

People couldn't get enough of it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a couple yellowfin steaks in the freezer.  Maybe I'll soak one in the Mr. Yoshida's tonight and throw it on the grill tomorrow.  Mmmmmmm.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#13]
They should be thawed through. Pat dry with a paper towel. Apply a small amount of olive oil to each side. Lightly dust each side with your seasoning of choice. Get a cast iron fry pan RED HOT on your stove. Cook first side for no more than 30 seconds. Flip, cook second side no more than 30 seconds. Remove from pan and enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I just soak mine in Italian salad dressing then grill it.  I use a fish basket when on the grill.

This also works for shark and gator tail.

Take it easy...

We have a winner!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I like them grilled like a steak. Very hot flame, cook it rare. I like a citrus, olive oil, soy sauce and ground red pepper marinade.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They should be thawed through. Pat dry with a paper towel. Apply a small amount of olive oil to each side. Lightly dust each side with your seasoning of choice. Get a cast iron fry pan RED HOT on your stove. Cook first side for no more than 30 seconds. Flip, cook second side no more than 30 seconds. Remove from pan and enjoy!

This is correct.

I'm curious as to the type of "stove" that will get a cast-iron pan "red hot"?
The only way I've ever done it is with an acetylene torch.  But the steaks did turn out very well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#18]
OK got a question,

Well first I dont like tuna, cant stand the smell, esp canned tuna. heck any fish that comes in a can, I cant and will not eat, in any form. Something about that canned fish smell just turns me off of that fish.

BUT why leave the inside of the tuna raw? I just never have understood that.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Sushi for Really good stuff

Quoted:

Winner for lesser than Sushi grade [above]

and for the rest follow the soak and sear method of some of the other posters.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
OK got a question,

Well first I dont like tuna, cant stand the smell, esp canned tuna. heck any fish that comes in a can, I cant and will not eat, in any form. Something about that canned fish smell just turns me off of that fish.

Tuna dries out way easy, and you kill the flavor by cooking it well-done.

That being said, if you pan-sear it, then coat it with italian dressing, wrap it in foil, and throw it in a 275 degree oven for a few minutes more, you can get it done all the way through without drying it out.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#21]
here's the only way to do tuna steaks properly:

Get one of those charcoal starter chimneys

fill it half way up and light the sucker.

Once the coals are ashed over, put a wire rack DIRECTLY ON TOP of the starter. You're going to be using it as a mini grill.

lightly coat tuna steaks with sesame oil.

about a minute a side will do it right.

This is proper doneness:

FWIW, I wouldn't do this with wallyworld tuna
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
here's the only way to do tuna steaks properly:

This is proper doneness:
www.sandiegorestaurants.com/max/img/max_2.jpg

UGH....sorry bud but that does not look good at all.....
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Either sashimi (if it's really really fresh, probably isn't judging by where you bought it :P) or smoked.

Tuna (most fish for that matter) doesn't stand up well to most other types of cooking IMO. Maybe steaming or poaching or something too.

I'm not big on grilling or searing fish for the most part.

It's either done one of the above ways or fried, but you wouldn't fry tuna..
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Seafood from Wallyworld?

Normally I like my Tuna steaks rare, each side seared just enough to warm it through, but it's gotta be super fresh to eat that way (many restaurants won't even serve a rare tuna steak, becuase they don't want the libability).

I just don't think I could trust Walmart seafood rare ... maybe cube it and make grilled kebabs?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
OK got a question,

Well tuna in a can is garbage first of all.

Second, fresh fish should have no smell at all. If you smell it, it isn't truly fresh.

Which doesn't mean you can't eat it, it just means it isn't as ideal, it limits how you can prepare it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OK got a question,

Second, fresh fish should have no smell at all. If you smell it, it isn't truly fresh.

Which doesn't mean you can't eat it, it just means it isn't as ideal, it limits how you can prepare it.

I know about the smell, BUT if I ever catch a whiff of any fish that has come out of a can, it turns me off to that fish, no matter how it is cooked or what form it is in.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
OK got a question,

I know about the smell, BUT if I ever catch a whiff of any fish that has come out of a can, it turns me off to that fish, no matter how it is cooked or what form it is in.

That's like hating steak based upon the smell of dog food...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#28]
FWIW, it was from a WalMart Supercenter (you know, the one with GROCERIES in it?). Jeesh! It ain't like there are many fresh seafood stands here in Tennessee. You're killin' me!

At any rate, how would you suggest doing the substandard WalMart tuna steaks?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#29]
My favorite Tuna recipe.
Take fresh lime squeeze all the juice into a bowl. Grate half of the lime peel, add to bowl, mince 1 half fresh garlic clove add to bowl, chop up and add 1/4 cup solantra to bowl put in 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup water. Marinate for 2 hours. Grill hot for 2 minutes on each side. This is for thick Tuna Steaks. The object is to sear outside and leave the middle rare.
You can add other stuff to marinate if you like. Just make sure its fresh.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
My favorite Tuna recipe.
Take fresh lime squeeze all the juice into a bowl. Grate half of the lime peel, add to bowl, mince 1 half fresh garlic clove add to bowl, chop up and add 1/4 cup solantra to bowl put in 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup water. Marinate for 2 hours. Grill hot for 2 minutes on each side. This is for thick Tuna Steaks. The object is to sear outside and leave the middle rare.
You can add other stuff to marinate if you like. Just make sure its fresh.

Whats "solantra?"

You mean "cilantro?"
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#31]
1st off, Wal-Mart seafood isn't that bad, unless you live near the ocean or buy your seafood at a ritzy shop or something like that. I used to work at Wal-Mart in the meat dept and the seafood dept was a part of the meat dept. Almost all of their food comes in frozen. It is the same as buying from Publix, Kroger or any other grocery chain.

2nd - My favorite way is to marinate the Tuna steaks over night (in the fridge) in a mixture of peanut butter (smooth, not crunchy), pineapple juice & soy or teriaki sauce. You have to play with the mixture to find the right happy medium. After soaking overnight, grill them for about 45-60 seconds on each side and enjoy. Don't put anything else on it. I used to manage a restaurant and this is one from the menu. I ate Tuna Steak almost every night that I worked closing. MMM!

Damn, now I want tuna steaks, later peps!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top