Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2006 11:22:50 AM EDT
last school year I had the opporunity to live in DC without my parents and work for the House of Reps. and go to school in the Library of Congress. I thought I'd share some pics that the general public don't get to take. It was rather funny because it was the first time I'd ever been to DC and I only live three hours away, the first time I go there is to live. A funny story, my parents took me down the day before orientation to sight see, and we were driving past the Capitol and I look over to the left and see the Library of Congress, not knowing what it was, I asked "what is that building with the ugly looking roof?" and my parents both reply, "that is where you are going to go to school for the next nine months".

Picture from up inside the Dome in the Capitol

This one was taken a little higher up, behind the railing of the next picture

Painting at the top of the inside of the dome, you can see the railing I was standing behind for the previous picture. One neat thing is that one of those pink octagons hinges up from behind and you can stick your head out through it into the Rotunda

Where I went to school for the year.

The Supreme Court as veiwed from the outside of the top of the Capitol Dome.

The National Mall and I always thought it was a shopping mall.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]
That's awesome. There's certainly a lot of fascinating stuff in our capital.

Was this a special program for kids to work in DC? Or did you just do it on your own?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, the program is called the US House Page Program. You can only do it the summer before and after your junior year in high school, or during your junior year as I did. You can get some information off THIS SITE. It is truly a great program. The best part is making fun of the college kids that are interning in an unpaid position.

Here is another picture of my seat at the Inauguration. I'm proud to say that I had a better seat than Arnold.

Here is one of the great GW being sworn in.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#3]
So who did you page for?

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Bush Country!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I served as a Page for Congressman Shuster (PA-9), republican of course.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
...Here is one of the great GW being sworn in.
i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/unclemoak/GeogreBushbeingswornintoOffice3.jpg

that was Renquist, right?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, that is Rehnquist
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...Here is one of the great GW being sworn in.
i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/unclemoak/GeogreBushbeingswornintoOffice3.jpg

that was Renquist, right?

Yes.

Also unclemoak, his name is George.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was a Page under Congressman Shuster (PA-9), republican of course.

So what did he ever tell you about firearms laws?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#10]
incredible pics, thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#11]
We never really talked about firearm laws, but I know he's pro-gun, you have to be to get elected to office in this area. I probably saw him two or three times a week while Congress was in session. We mostly talked about the military and how I wanted to go to the Naval Academy. He is a pretty nice guy, took me and his staffers out to lunch. While  out for lunch we ran into Willy Nelson, and he was like well holy shit, there's Willy Nelson.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Damn that is an awesome opportunity.

You must have great parents to help and support you like that (way better than mine were at least).
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's another picture looking out the window from one of the classrooms.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#14]
A few years ago a friend of mine did that and she thought it was great experience.  I would have loved to have done something like that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Here are some more Pictures of a trip we took to NYC to see the UN building.

This is Seth, a kid from the Virgin Islands, hopefully we'll both be going to the Naval Academy next year. On the other side of that wall is the House Floor. ( I'm not supposed to have this picture, taking pictures in certain places is a big no no)

One of the many tunnels under the Capitol.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Given the reputation ( and actual history ) of Washington politicians, I would rephrase that immediately.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#17]
are those ash trays in that last picture. surely you cant smoke in there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone got info on the painting??? I'm fascinated.

Found it here: The Apotheosis of Washington
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice pictures.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#20]
If you pay attention ........... you'll be completely disillusioned by the truth within a few years.

The truth shall make you free.............but it won't make you happy.

Sorry Son.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
are those ash trays in that last picture. surely you cant smoke in there.

Federal Law says that you can't smoke in the federal Buildings, but since the Congressman make the laws they don't have to follow them. I heard this from the Republican Floor manager, he said that the government doesn't have to follow most of the laws they make, even child labor laws. Hence the reason we worked 16 hour days sometimes. About the ash trays, when the Republicans took over the House again when ever it was, they passed a law to have the ash trays put back on the House Floor. I heard of a time when a  Democrat Congressman put some barbage in one, then someone smoking flicked their ashes in it and it eventually caught on fire. Quite the sight to evacuate the Capitol during legislative business at 11:30 at night.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Congrats, Son.  You are on your way!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Those pics are awesome!  Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Very cool, thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#25]
what no pic of the bullet hole in the roof of the house chamber, esp since your not allowed cameras or cell phone in there. i just went on a tour a few days before xmas
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Given the reputation ( and actual history ) of Washington politicians, I would rephrase that immediately.

What's that old joke?

Why don't Congressmen use bookmarks?

Because they just bend over a page....

Awesome pics. I was in DC in 88 when I worked for the feds. I went there for work and didn't have any down time except at night. So, we had to take the night tours when everything is basically closed except the monuments (Lincoln, Jefferson, The Wall, USMC memorial, etc).. It rained pretty bad except when I got to the Wall..Then it was a very light drizzle being cast onto the memorial and man, it was one of the most awesome things I have ever seen in my lifetime. The Wall is something else!!! We got into the Library of Congress, but it was being refurbished and couldn't go beyond the cordened off area. Didn't see much of it.

Anyway, thanks for the pics. I would LOVE to return and just tour the area rather than go there for work.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#27]
A picture of that would have been cool, but if the Capitol police see you on the House floor with anything that looks like an electronic devices you better believe you're going to hear about it. That is one thing that not even the Congressman are allowed to have on the Floor, I guess it's to protect the fear of the pictures getting into the wrong hands and someone making malicious use of them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
A picture of that would have been cool, but if the Capitol police see you on the House floor with anything that looks like an electronic devices you better believe you're going to hear about it. That is one thing that not even the Congressman are allowed to have on the Floor, I guess it's to protect the fear of the pictures getting into the wrong hands and someone making malicious use of them.

the reason why no electronic stuff is the gun that made the hole looked like a cell phone or was hidden in one
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Great pictures. Keep up the good work. It will take you far..

I used to go there quarterly for meetings and always planned on spending a day before or after touring the area. I could get a job there in a heartbeat but I wouldn't want to live in the district and No. Virgina is just too damn crowded....
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Great pics!  Looks like you had a great time too!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#31]
unclemoak: Those are great pictures.  You ware truely wise beyond your age.  You should think about working for the government and attaining elected office yourself.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice pics.  I assume the Congressman has already written a letter of rec. to USNA on your behalf?  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the compliments. As for attaining a political officer, probably not in my future. All I really want to do is be a Marine and go play in the sand box. And yes Congressman Shuster nominated me to the USNA a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I used to live here:

Great pics. Looks like you had a great time.

I worked for congress for a few years....enough to know that I'd never want to run for office.

Besides, the elected people come and go. They don't have the real power on the hill.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I think I might have you beat, I lived in the tan roofed, L shaped building that you see just on the other side of the House offices buildings. It's the tan roof to the left of the power plant ( the building with the smoke stacks) It was two blocks from the Capitol

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Wow... sounds like this is a great oppurtunity!! kinda makes me feel i'm doing nothing with my life hinking.gif
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Good Luck!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Awesome pics and experiences, I bookmarked that page you linked to and will see about possibly getting my son involved in 5 years or so.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Anyone got info on the painting??? I'm fascinated.

Found it here: The Apotheosis of Washington

Hey unclemoak, thanks for the pictures and the story.

Two things I have learned from this that burn my chaps.

1. In the central group (37k) of the fresco, Brumidi depicted George Washington rising to the heavens in glory, flanked by female figures representing Liberty and Victory/Fame. A rainbow arches at his feet, and thirteen maidens symbolizing the original states flank the three central figures. (The word "apotheosis" in the title means literally the raising of a person to the rank of a god, or the glorification of a person as an ideal; George Washington was honored as a national icon in the nineteenth century.)   (Masons at work?)

2. Elected officials to congress don't have to follow the law and there is no way they will be punished for breaking the law.  

George Washington a god! He may have been a Founding Father of our country, and I have a lot of respect for what he did. But he was also a self serving meglomaniac. Did you know he submitted a bill to congress for $100,000 for his services during the Revolution. His personal bill to the government. Like saying, "Hey, congress, you OWE me and I figure this is how much." And they paid it!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Awesome pics and experiences, I bookmarked that page you linked to and will see about possibly getting my son involved in 5 years or so.

My advice would be to get your son involved in everything he can at school, sports, clubs, have him join scouting and help out with things in the community. Every little bit helps, be sure to push him in school too. It's pretty crazy of how involved some of the kids in the program were. I was recently talking to some of the kids that were pages with me to ask where they were going to college and it was places like Harvard, Yale, Standford, Princeton, George Town it's pretty crazy how movitated some of the kids were towards school.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I think I might have you beat, I lived in the tan roofed, L shaped building that you see just on the other side of the House offices buildings. It's the tan roof to the left of the power plant ( the building with the smoke stacks) It was two blocks from the Capitol

i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/unclemoak/IMG_0091.jpg

i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/unclemoak/IMG_0092.jpg

Yeah, but I was closer to Hawk & Dove
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:44:07 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

So, what you're saying is, he's NOT one of the ones who use bookmarks, eh?

ETA: dang.  Beaten to it by a redneck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top