Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2006 10:56:24 AM EDT
I checked out the compact Covert model this morning, and am seriously considering one over the Glock .45 or 10 mm..........and the fact that it's double action even makes it better.........give me some feedback
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I really like the C7.45 LDA I have...never been a big fan of DA autos before. The trigger pull is great and for a compact it accurate. I did have to do a little polishing on the feel ramp to get it to feed Hydroshoks though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one, I have no idea why.  It's a solution in search of a problem.

Brain
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#5]
It's SLOW.    Slow reset on the trigger.   We had one guy bring one to a Tactical Handgun course - he sold it afterwards.

LDA = solution looking for a problem.

Get a standard 1911 single action.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brain

yea but if we ever figure out the problem you be glad you have the solution

Basicly it's for people who are afraid to carry a 1911 like it should be...cocked and locked
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brain

Basicly it's for people who are afraid to carry a 1911 like it should be...cocked and locked

I'm one of those people, but I solved it by installing a Cylinder & Slide Safety-Fast system.  Now I can carry hammer down, cocked-n-locked.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brain

I'm one of those people, but I solved it by installing a Cylinder & Slide Safety-Fast system.  Now I can carry hammer down, cocked-n-locked.

I guess Browning likes the Safety-Fast system idea, the local gunshop has two factory Hi powers with it already installed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I saw another officer bring a Para-Ord to the qualifying range, brand new and straight out of the box. The firing pin snapped on the very first magazine of ammo fired through it. The tip of the pin snapped right off and was not even denting the primer on the following round.

I'm sure they warrantied it, I just can't get that picture out of my head.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I saw another officer bring a Para-Ord to the qualifying range, brand new and straight out of the box. The firing pin snapped on the very first magazine of ammo fired through it. The tip of the pin snapped right off and was not even denting the primer on the following round.

I'm sure they warrantied it, I just can't get that picture out of my head.

I'll bet that would be a really annoying problem.....when you needed it to go bang.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a 6.45 Companion Carry and love it.  Just wish it was a bit lighter for every day carry.

I always find it amusing that people comment on "cocked and locked" and say "That's how a 1911 was meant to be", etc. etc. but they never complain about the horrendous double action pull on most of the double action guns on the market.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for IDPA or other competitive shooting, but for concealed carry, it works great for me.

My hands are a bit large and I do tend to get bitten by the slide occasionally if I get too high of a grip. Sometimes I wish I had not gotten the bobbed hammer version.

I've got probably a 1000 rounds or so through mine. Only issue I've ever had was the the floorplate fell off one of the original mags. Para sent TWO replacement mags no questions asked. I tend to keep it fed with Wilson combat mags though.

Ed
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Buy a kimber and don't look back.   There a better gun, and you carry it like a real 1911, cocked and locked
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Just get the Glock and be done with it and very happy.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#16]
have one and i love it, does what i want it to whenever i want it to do it
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Buy a kimber and don't look back.   There a better gun, and you carry it like a real 1911, cocked and locked

Glad you could dispell the myth that a Kimber is a real 1911!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#18]
12.45 LDA 3.5" 2+ yrs daily carry here. Few problems when dirty, zero problems when clean. Just keep it clean and it will run like a sewing machine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It's SLOW.    Slow reset on the trigger.   We had one guy bring one to a Tactical Handgun course - he sold it afterwards.

im not so sure about that statement either, ask the mich members who have shot with me at the "pit"   i can dump 15 rounds faster than they can (course i practiced that little trick alot)
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the replies.............While I do like the 1911 action, I've never been that big a fan of single action handguns. Besides the Glock and the HK USP, what other .45 double action guns would you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#21]

My 7/45 LDA runs just fine .   You gotta get a lot of practice with it to get used to the trigger
though .
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a TacFour and it jams about every 3rd or 4th shot.  I got new mags and it still jams.  I just found out a guy I work with has a Para that runs fine, so I'm hoping to try one of his mags.  If it still fails, it's time to port/polish, and if that doesn't work I'm getting rid of it.  So far, I'm not impressed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have a TacFour and it jams about every 3rd or 4th shot.  I got new mags and it still jams.  I just found out a guy I work with has a Para that runs fine, so I'm hoping to try one of his mags.  If it still fails, it's time to port/polish, and if that doesn't work I'm getting rid of it.  So far, I'm not impressed.

Have you tried scrubbing the bejezus out of the rails and grooves on the frame & slide? When mine gets squirrelly, the problem is always fouling in those 2 places.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

im not so sure about that statement either, ask the mich members who have shot with me at the "pit"   i can dump 15 rounds faster than they can (course i practiced that little trick alot)

Sorry, but it's a FACT due to the design.  Your finger HAS to travel further forward to reset the trigger.   Distance = time

It was a MEASURABLE difference in the class.   We had a few shooters try it even, everyone was slower completing the required shooting (2, 3 shots) with the LDA compared a standard single action.

"Dumping 15 rounds" quickly is beyond the scope of what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about using one for self defense, and being able to do double taps or a failure drill.   A single action is faster.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a C7 .45 LDA and have put about 1500 to 2000 rounds through it without a problem. I did switch out the mags though and I use only Wilson or McCormick mags. I would love to carry a single action Colt Govt. Model, but my office only allows double action pistols, so I went with the Para Ordnance. The LDA action did take some getting used to at first, but now I have no problem with it at all.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#26]
It's my understanding that the LDA isn't a "true" DA as it has no second strike capability. Is that correct?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Neither does a Glock.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:17:17 AM EDT
[#28]
love my Para, over a thousand rounds without cleaning or a malfuction. finally cleaned it, keep it right next to our bed, no worries
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top