Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2006 8:14:21 PM EDT
If a fence wouldn't work REAL WELL I don't think they would be so dead set against it
One thing is for sure, they won't be able to claim their military is just "lost" anymore

Mexican leftist attacks US border fence plan
Jan 27, 2006
Lizbeth Diaz
REUTERS
abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=1547191
TIJUANA, Mexico (Reuters) - Mexico's leftist presidential front-runner on Thursday attacked Washington's plans to build a high-security border fence that aims to crack down on illegal immigration.

Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador told a crowd of about 7,000 in the gritty border city of Tijuana that fences and additional border police would only create more conflict.

"It must be made clear to our neighbors that nothing will be resolved by building fences, nor with more border patrol agents, nor with more severe laws or with firm hand threats," Lopez Obrador told supporters in the town center.

"All these measures will only provoke more human rights violations and more conflicts in bilateral relations between the two governments," the former Indian rights activist said in the city that already has a border fence.

The plan to extend fences to other regions, approved by the U.S. House of Representatives last month, has angered many Mexicans. The government of President Vicente Fox is lobbying U.S. Senate leaders to block it.

Fox's government has pushed hard for U.S. immigration reform in favor of millions of Mexicans living and working illegally in the United States.

U.S. President George W. Bush is backing a guest worker program to match immigrants with jobs for a set time period.

The plan faces stiff opposition inside the Republican Party and many of its lawmakers supported the fence plan as a way of tightening security along the long, porous border.

Lopez Obrador, of the leftist Party of the Democratic Revolution, said Fox's inability to create jobs had forced about 2 million Mexicans to leave Mexico for the United States to seek work in the five years of his government.

"The failure of economic policy is behind the failure of immigration policy for President Fox," the former mayor of Mexico City said.

Lopez Obrador said if he won the July 2 presidential vote he would propose immigration reform with the United States that included the generation of jobs in Mexico.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador told a crowd of about 7,000 in the gritty border city of Tijuana that fences and additional border police would only create more conflict.

More conflict in mexico when they get to keep MORE of their CRIMINALS
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't it interesting that the wackos always say "It won't work" and yet....

...they fight against it with all their rhetoric and might.

Q: If it won't work, then what's the big deal? Why fight against it?

BECAUSE, OF COURSE, IT WILL WORK.

And then they'll have to stay in their own country and do something about the problems there.
NOTE: why does the Mexican government want the illegals to continue to come to the U.S.? Because it is a way to keep down internal unrest that would otherwise build up and eventually lead to an overthrow of the Mexican power structure. So, of course, those in power are all for illegal immigration into the U.S.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Just like the Israeli fence, the more the invaders protest, the better an idea it seems.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
If my opponent is doing something ineffective........I'm definitely not going to warn him

They ARE worried about a wall being built because it WILL dramatically reduce ILLEGAL traffic
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If my opponent is doing something ineffective........I'm definitely not going to warn him

They ARE worried about a wall being built because it WILL dramatically reduce ILLEGAL trafficing of drugs which is major source of income for Mexico

Fixed it for ya....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Mexico has more problems than it can ever handle.  If the dirt poor peasants can't leave Mexico to work in the USA, to make money to feed their families, sooner or later they will revolt against their government.  There will be hellacious riots in Mexico City and elsewhere.  There have been large groups of "armed bandits" in several states that the Mexican Army has had to deal with.  It will get very ugly in Mexico if the unemployment situation in Mexico is not fixed.  Some commie dictator supported by Hugo Chavez and Castro would love to stir the pot in the huge nation right on border of the USA.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They ARE worried about a wall being built because it WILL dramatically reduce ILLEGAL trafficing of drugs which is major source of income for Mexico

Fixed it for ya....

Taking away their militarys "we were lost" excuse is just ONE of the benefits of a wall
(I just realized..........we could also use it for firing squads)
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:00:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

They ARE worried about a wall being built because it WILL dramatically reduce ILLEGAL traffic

Hell, then aero-mexico will just horse em in on a jumbo jet and then what, border check points at paved airstrips in rural counties?    

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:42:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Good fences make good neighbors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top