Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2006 5:03:22 PM EDT
Maybe a year ago I bought a sony progressive DVD player to fit my HD tv.  All of my stuff has been sony since the beginning and for nothing more than I started with a sony TV my parents gave me and eventually liked the ability to use one remote to do multiple things.  So as I bought more and replaced things I had a leaning towards sony.  Its not a bad brand but I didnt buy it for the brand name.  

My last DVD player was panasonic.  I burned that bastard up in 8 months.  This one lasted no more than a year.  The remote still had the red "Super Sony" batteries in it.  Luckily I had an extra progressive dvd player that I had originally given to my father for fathers day that he used for a special project for a short time and then put into storage.  

My last stereo was a sony as well.  I bought it in highschool many years ago and the only reason I got rid of it was the sub blew out during black hawk down.  It was one of those units thats a rack system but the top rack components and the sub cannot be used without each other.  The sub housed most of the power supply and connected to the top rack units via some crazy ass ribbon cable.  It was a doly pro logic system and I replaced it with a new sony 7.1 surround reciever.  I got at least 10 years out of that one and the part that ended up failing was a moving part made of paper.

So this is DVD player #4 in a little over 3 years.  Is it just me or does everyone have these problems?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had one of those small $30 jobs for well over a year now.  no problems at all
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've had one of those small $30 jobs for well over a year now.  no problems at all

Do you get the flicker when theres lots of movement or lots of white on the screen?  Do you get the long pause as it switches layers?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got an Apex that I bought at Walmart for the (back then) low price of $99 in 2000. It works well except on some of my "backed up" DVD's.(Aarrr!)

I also use a Sony Playstation to play a lot of DVD's in my sons' room and it works fine after 5 years. I bought them a $40 Symphonic from Wallyworld because they were out of the $40 Apex's.

When my wife moved in with me, she brought a $50 Apex with her, it stopped ejecting, I replaced it with an identical Apex for $40. It acts funky sometimes, ehhh.

I also have a Panasonic DVD-VHS combo, the VCR part is sort of crapped out, but the DVD part is perfect. There are a few movies that I notice the layer change occur. Funny thing is, my buddy spent nearly $300 for his uber DVD player and it practically stops when the DVD changes layers for every movie.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you get the flicker when theres lots of movement or lots of white on the screen?  Do you get the long pause as it switches layers?

no flickers and I dont even notice the layer switch most of the time(drives me nuts on other players though)
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
OPPO Digital

DCDi from Faroudja with a Genesis chip set.

You bastard!  Pics?

I do watch a lot of movies so I understand the added strain but 8 months is a joke.  I usually watch at least one movie a day, sometimes two. I do have a PS2 with which I can watch movies but I do not have the component cable to be able to watch in HD.  My parents pretty much use the cheap apex/cyberhome/symphonic ones but the layer pause, white flicker and action flicker drive me nuts.  I have to have progressive thanks to my TV size otherwise it looks like boiled feces.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no flickers and I dont even notice the layer switch most of the time(drives me nuts on other players though)

What brand do you have?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#8]
cyberhome.  best $35 or $40 I've ever spent for entertainment
walmart sells them
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
cyberhome.  best $35 or $40 I've ever spent for entertainment
walmart sells them

Damn, maybe they changed thier manufacture.  I bought one of those for Diesel_Girl back when we were dating and it had the worst white flicker I'd ever seen.  She just used it for Sex in the city so it didnt really matter.

I'll grab one tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top