Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2001 10:17:40 AM EDT
I was talking to a guy today that said everytime you fire an AK left handed the gas blows back and burns you face.  Is this true of all AK's?
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one and I shoot lefty and was fine for me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#2]
i'm a southpaw and i've shot ak's (just about every variant imported or home built) for years.

absolutely no problems.

to shoot the sar-2/ak-74, i position my nose touching the receiver cover locking button...no problem at all. the little bit of air driven out between the button and sheet metal cover by the recoiling action is not "hot", by any means.

after a few rounds, you don't even notice the charging handle cycling. brass has never been a problem, as ejection throws it wide right...way wide right.

i've fired all the f.a. variants from krinkov to pkm, never a problem.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  I held up an Sar 1 and the man said, "if you shoot left handed you can't shoot one of these."  Then he told me the story.  I wanted to hear it from someone else.  I loved the gun in my hands and want to get one, but not if it will burn my face.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#4]
AK's not lefty friendly?

As far as I remember, most of the old leftist “revolutionaries” had AKs.

I can’t believe that no-one in this group came up with this in forty minutes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#5]
The only gas that's going to harm you from shooting left handed is emitted from the guy telling you that story. I shoot my wifes mak90 left handed and there are no adverse affects.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#6]
the AK is a better gun for leftys than the AR

everyone shits on the AK, and praises the ergonomics of the AR, but if your a lefty with an AR life became more difficult.

a lefty with an AK can pull the bolt back, move the safety lever and drop/insert the mag with the right hand while the left hand stays on the pistol grip.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Ak's work great for me as a lefty.

Link Posted: 8/9/2001 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I can shoot AK type weapons nicely even when im a southpaw, the magazine release is easy to operate and i can use the safety without problems with my support hand.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Both my Sar 1's kick empty brass out at 3 o'clock, fast and flat, beyond 20 feet.
The only "leftie problem" you're going to have, is if you're to the left of somebody at the range.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're a LEFT wing Pinko commie lib, you probably won't be compatible.
[@:D] [<]:)] [smoke]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top