Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2006 12:44:05 PM EDT
This country is so freaking hardcore.  I wonder how the DUmmies are reacting to this news?

57% Americans support military action in Iran
By Greg Miller, Times Staff Writer
Published: January 27 2006 15:22 | Last updated: January 27 2006 15:22

Los Angeles TimesWASHINGTON — Despite persistent disillusionment with the war in Iraq, a majority of Americans supports taking military action against Iran if that country continues to produce material that can be used to develop nuclear weapons, a Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll has found.

The poll, conducted Sunday through Wednesday, found that 57% of Americans favor military intervention if Iran’s Islamic government pursues a program that could enable it to build nuclear arms.

Support for military action against Tehran has increased over the last year, the poll found, even though public sentiment is running against the war in neighboring Iraq: 53% said they believe the situation there was not worth going to war.

The poll results suggest that the difficulties the United States has encountered in Iraq have not turned the public against the possibility of military actions elsewhere in the Middle East.Bush ratings sink in latest poll

Bush ratings sink in latest poll
Click here
Support for a potential military confrontation with Iran was strongest among Republican respondents, among whom 76% endorsed the idea. But even among Democrats, who overwhelmingly oppose the war in Iraq, 49% supported such action.

In follow-up interviews, some respondents said they believed Iran posed a more serious threat than Saddam Hussein’s Iraq did.

“I really don’t think Saddam had anything to do with terrorism, but Iran, I believe, does,” said Edward Wtulich, of Goshen, N.Y. He was among the 1,555 adults who participated in this week’s survey, which has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points. “Iran has been a problem, I think, for years,” Wtulich said, “and we’ve known about it.”

Wtulich, a registered Democrat and retired manager for the New York City Housing Authority, said he supported taking a hard line with Iran despite the strain of the Iraq war on the U.S. military.

“It makes me scared,” he said, “but we may not have a choice.”

Experts said the public’s views on Iran appeared to have hardened in part because of the more aggressive anti-Western posture of Iran President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Elected last year, he has riled the international community with remarks denying the Holocaust and with declarations that Iran will defy European and U.S. pressure and continue to pursue efforts to enrich uranium.

His comments have fostered an impression of him as “very reckless, a real rogue, as opposed to simply a populist,” said political science professor John Mueller of Ohio State University, who is an authority on wartime public opinion.

Mueller said that Americans’ rising support for confronting Iran was “impressive,” especially considering their misgivings about the war in Iraq, and that their support suggested “concerns about the new president.” But he added that poll respondents are often more inclined to voice support for military intervention when the question is framed broadly and the potential for casualties is unclear.

“You always get higher support for things like ‘military action,’ because that could just mean bombing, as opposed to sending troops or going to war,” Mueller said.

Poll respondents expressed a strong preference for the United States working with allies to fight international law violations or global aggression.

Iran has insisted its nuclear program is solely for energy production. But the United States and other Western governments suspect Iran’s program is aimed at developing weapons.

European nations that have negotiated with Iran over its program want the matter referred to the United Nations Security Council. Iran has indicated it might be open to a compromise in which Russia would provide enriched uranium to Iran, for use exclusively in energy reactors.

The American public’s position on Iran appears to have hardened over the last year, a period marked by an increasing international focus on Iran’s nuclear program. When a similar question was asked in a Times poll last January, 50% favored military action against Iran.

Regarding Iraq, the latest poll shows that although most Americans remain disenchanted with the war, opinions have stabilized, at least for now. The percentage saying they believe the situation in Iraq was not worth going to war over dipped slightly, to 53%, compared with 56% in a survey a year earlier.

When asked who was winning the war in Iraq, 33% said the United States, 7% said the insurgents, and 55% said neither side was winning.

Americans remain divided over how long U.S. forces should stay in Iraq: 40% believe the United States should remain in Iraq for “as long as it takes,” 36% want U.S. troops withdrawn within a year, and 14% support immediate withdrawal.

Respondents were also divided, largely along party lines, over whether the Iraq war is really part of Washington’s war on terrorism; 51% say it is, 46% say it is not. President Bush has repeatedly cast Iraq as the central front in the war on terrorism. But many of his administration’s prewar claims about Iraq’s ties to Al Qaeda have turned out to have been overstated or based on unreliable intelligence sources.

The poll also found that 32% of Americans believed that terrorism around the world had increased because of the Iraq situation, 17% believed it had decreased, and 47% believed the problem was about the same.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#1]

+

I'm all for it
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, but lets try to do what we need to do just from the air. And the Navy, if needed. We can get ourselves spread to thin if we're not careful.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Shit, let's hit them now before they finish their nuke program, assuming they haven't already.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Somebody archive this, it will be good for a laugh in 2 years when the Irani Freedom operation is still resulting in dead American Soldiers.

The American public is so fickle it makes my teeth hurt.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#5]
57% may support it now...  but then after G.I.'s start getting killed on the streets of Tenran 97% would be screaming bloody murder.  Personally, I think we should take off and let Jews handle the middle east, it's the only way to be sure.  I'm fucking tired of deployments, training, more deployments, inspections, deployments..........  And I'm in the Guard.  I can't imagine how those poor fuckers in Active Duty Army feel.  

~Dg84
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Bah, we're screwed.  Too many idiots in this country.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I think Owens Corning needs a new factory in the Middle East.

Never mind, I guess they don't make glass anymore.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#9]
sounds like big brother wants me to believe 57%.......................I don't buy it for a minute. Not one person at work thinks we should attack Iran .
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I wouldn't be surprised that American attitudes change this quickly--military action or not, it's still not THEIR ass on the line.

We have a class of soldiers in this country, and people are content to let it stay that way. I'm not saying the military is not a great opportunity, but how many Yale or Harvard kids are signing up?

And as mentioned, we're only hardcore until the photos of burning humvees are splashed on the screen. Then it's "oh noes!1!!!" again.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well, I wouldn't be surprised that American attitudes change this quickly--military action or not, it's still not THEIR ass on the line.

We have a class of soldiers in this country, and people are content to let it stay that way. I'm not saying the military is not a great opportunity, but how many Yale or Harvard kids are signing up?

And as mentioned, we're only hardcore until the photos of burning humvees are splashed on the screen. Then it's "oh noes!1!!!" again.

ONly becuz the FREAKIN IDIOT media is showing only those rare photos. There not showing the hundreds of the Iraqis cheering us on, holding up we love usa signs and the soldiers handing out candy and our boys getting the bad guys. I say we have an old fashion 1950s McCarthy communist witch hunt...only this time it wouldnt be a witch hunt.  "Are you now or have you ever been a member of the communist party or Al-Queda"  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#12]
NOPE!

NO CAN DO!

There are no confirmed sightings of WMD!

This is all about oil!

Halliburton is evil!

Bush is the devil!

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#13]
There is only one word that will makes a military invasion of Iran work out....

DRAFT

NOTE: When you take on--what's it now?--three countries at the same time, you're just gonna need more soldiers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

DRAFT

NOTE: When you take on--what's it now?--three countries at the same time, you're just gonna need more soldiers.

Not needed.

Simply present Japan, South Korea, Saudis, Germany, et al, with BILLS so they pull the economic weight of our protection of them.   If they can;t stand to get their hands dirty, fine, but I'd rather be the world's mercenaries than the free police.

With the $$$, raise pay etc, which eliminates the need for a draft.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I think we should but, we should have never gotten into this clusterfuck in Iraq...

Our resources up to this point would have been much better spent in Iran...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=431529

We can't handle another war anytime soon folks...

Thank the administration for declaring war on the wrong country...

Just one letter off...

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#16]
First we need a Fact-Finding Delegation of upstanding American Politicians and Celebrities to go to Iran and uncover the Truth

I nominate the following persons
John Kerry
Hillary Clinton
Joe Biden
Howard Dean
Dick Durbin
Nancy Pelosi
Chuck Schumer
Barabara Boxer
Diane Feinstein
Jesse Jackson
Jimmy Carter
Sean Penn          Add your favorites    

Once they're on the ground we can Commence the Bombing    Hooooooah !

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think we should but, we should have never gotten into this clusterfuck in Iraq...

Just one letter off...

Blah blah and more fucking blah blah.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Shit, let's hit them now before they finish their nuke program, assuming they haven't already.

I'm reminded of the scene from my favorite movie, Dr. Strangelove--

Dr. Strangelove: Of course, the whole point of a Doomsday Machine is lost if you keep it a secret! Why didn't you tell the world?

Ambassador de Sadesky: It was to be announced at the Party Congress on Monday. As you know, the Premier loves surprises.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#21]
You guys are all sucking up all the latest propaganda. Try typing Petrodallars into Google and learn the real reason we are saber rattling at Iran and why we are in Iraq for all that matters.
You didn't really think we were over there to save the ragheads did you? Yeah like we care about them. How about the starving people in Africa?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#22]
It doesn't matter what the American public thinks about attacking Iran right now, once the pictures of the dead, accompanied by the media spin hit the news, they will shrink from the fight and cry for peace.

Quoted:

Just one letter off...

So what about the fact that it appears that just as many (including myself) suspected, Iraq's WMD's were moved into Syria?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You guys are all sucking up all the latest propaganda.

And just what are YOU sucking?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ONly becuz the FREAKIN IDIOT media is showing only those rare photos. There not showing the hundreds of the Iraqis cheering us on, holding up we love usa signs and the soldiers handing out candy and our boys getting the bad guys. I say we have an old fashion 1950s McCarthy communist witch hunt...only this time it wouldnt be a witch hunt.  "Are you now or have you ever been a member of the communist party or Al-Queda"  

Look, I'm not saying I like it either, but you've got to admit it's easy for people to say "yeah, let's do something" until they come to the realization that "oh. all I had to do was answer the poll but now these guys have got to go over there and fight. woe is me, I feel bad, bring them back!"

And Vito (as seems his usual) makes a good point; if they move to oil exchanges in euros, our currency just got a lot less potent.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It doesn't matter what the American public thinks about attacking Iran right now, once the pictures of the dead, accompanied by the media spin hit the news, they will shrink from the fight and cry for peace.

Quoted:

Just one letter off...

So what about the fact that it appears that just as many (including myself) suspected, Iraq's WMD's were moved into Syria?

Because we are a nation of f****ts and pussies!

America is no longer the strong nation that it used to be!

The people of today cannot compare to the greatest generation and come close to their sacrifices!

We wouldn't be able to handle it!

A war with Iran wouldn't be something that the American people can become disconnected and ignore (As with the case in Iraq) and we would be FULLY commited.

I need to write a rant on this topic...

I hope this post is PC enough for the site staff...

Let me know and I will edit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

DRAFT

another word NUKES makes the invasion unncessary. however...

you start tossing nukes at countries that border and/or are close to china/russia things will get interesting...

what is iran.. 3 times people, 4 times the size of iraq.
..has yet ot attack another country (unlike iraq which lead to un resolutions and the 1st gulf war with a legitmate excuse to finish in the second).
..may like what osama did to the twin towers but had nothing to do with it and probably hated the taliban as much as we did

face it.. NUKEs or DRAFT aint gonna happen. unless iran nukes israel. which would cause a massive retailiation we wouldn't even be involved in.

best thing by far our leaders could do is get off their butts and do something to make us strategically and economically independent of middle beastern oil..

oh.. i cant believe 57% of us citizens are in favor of invading iran.. give me a break...

eta to add.. i wish nothing but havoc and sadness to this goat an camel fuking nation... but at this point i aint in favor of spending my tax dollars on a war to free the camels and goats...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

what is iran.. 3 times people, 4 times the size of iraq.
..has yet ot attack another country

Unless you count Iran's attack on oil ships in the Persian Gulf in the late 80s and their support of Islamic terrorist groups.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#29]
57% plus one!

Are we there yet?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Is it 57% of Americans support attacking Iran or 57% Americans want to attack Iran?

Either way, let's do it.

Can I go?  CanIcanIcanIcanIcanIcanIcanI! PLeeeeeeease!!!!

Bilster
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Yet they don't support war in Iraq.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

There is a huge difference between Iraq and Iran...

ETA: I don't know where to start...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

minde to elaborate on that
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is NOW.   There wasn't a big difference before we invaded.    

Tyrant -vs- Mullahs.   Not a huge difference.  Both radical, both wanting to arm, both wanting to harm others
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
sounds like big brother wants me to believe 57%.......................I don't buy it for a minute. Not one person at work thinks we should attack Iran .

sounds like someone slept through statistics.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

And God knows your work is representative of the whole country, right?

God, some people in seeking to be "above the pack" only manage to make themselves sound like total fools.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sounds like someone slept through statistics.

PPPPPPTHTHTHTTHHTHTHTHTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFF

you just have the wrong co-workers
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just one letter off...

Blah blah and more fucking blah blah.

+1
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I must be the only person on this board who doesn't want to attack Iran. If there must be an attack, the Israel do it. Besides I would like to see another way of doing things in Iran. Iran is one contry where they people actually like America, and no I'm not talking about the Iranian govt.

Lets support the people and get them to topple their loony govt and keep our guys out of it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I must be the only person on this board who doesn't want to attack Iran.

No, there are other people who are mistaken besides you.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I must be the only person on this board who doesn't want to attack Iran. If there must be an attack, the Israel do it. Besides I would like to see another way of doing things in Iran. Iran is one contry where they people actually like America, and no I'm not talking about the Iranian govt.

Lets support the people and get them to topple their loony govt and keep our guys out of it.

Yea, let Israel do it alone while palestine gears up for jihad!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, let Israel do it alone while palestine gears up for jihad!

Are you suggesting the palestinians are going to build up an army that can take on the Israelis? All the Arab nations together can't take on the Israel, and win, they have tried and got their asses kicked.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just one letter off...

The people of today cannot compare to the greatest generation and come close to their sacrifices!

A war with Iran wouldn't be something that the American people can become disconnected and ignore (As with the case in Iraq) and we would be FULLY commited.

Dude, you really need to stop listening to the MSM and pick up a damn book.  You'll be shocked at what you'll find out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just one letter off...

Dude, you really need to stop listening to the MSM and pick up a damn book.  You'll be shocked at what you'll find out.

I'd be very surprised if I even heard the first line paraphrased by the MSM...

You need to get out and see some of today's youth...

A majority of young people can hardly spell "Military" let alone contemplate serving in one...

WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO FIGHT THESE WARS?!?

It's not very promising...

ETA:

I read plenty of books...

Thanks for asking...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#45]
If 57 % of the people are in favor of invading Iran it just proves the theory that 57% of quoted facts are bullshit 100% of the time. What is a fact is OPEC knows they have us by the balls bcause we are addicted to their oil. Would GM and Ford be losing billions and laying off workers if the majority of their cars all got 40 mpg. No...they introduce the "smaller" Hummer. The best way to hurt opec and the middle east is to get free of oil dependency. If we had invested 80 billion in hybrid fueled cars instead of invading/rebuilding Iraq we'd be well on our way right now. Why do we have to rebuild Iraq you might ask. Simply...we blew that fucker up real good thats why!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#46]

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
'Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?'
And I said, 'Here I am Lord, here I am! Send me.'
And the Lord said, 'Go.'" (Isaiah 6:1-9)

The above is exactly how I feel.  If you're worried about who will fight, get off your ass and prepare to contribute, otherwise, you're just blowing hot air.

Justin
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Los Angeles TimesWASHINGTON — Despite persistent disillusionment with the war in Iraq, a majority of Americans supports taking military action against Iran if that country continues to produce material that can be used to develop nuclear weapons, a Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll has found.

Persistent disillusionment?????????  I keep hearing that crap, but guess where I keep hearing it????  The liberal fucking press.  Persistent only for the mindless Dumocrats.  I know, mindless and Dumocrats is redundant.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just one letter off...

I'd be very surprised if I even heard the first line paraphrased by the MSM...

You need to get out and see some of today's youth...

A majority of young people can hardly spell "Military" let alone contemplate serving in one...

It's not very promising...

ETA:

I read plenty of books...

Thanks for asking...

Aren't you getting close to military age?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
If 57 % of the people are in favor of invading Iran it just proves the theory that 57% of quoted facts are bullshit 100% of the time. What is a fact is OPEC knows they have us by the balls bcause we are addicted to their oil. Would GM and Ford be losing billions and laying off workers if the majority of their cars all got 40 mpg. No...they introduce the "smaller" Hummer. The best way to hurt opec and the middle east is to get free of oil dependency. If we had invested 80 billion in hybrid fueled cars instead of invading/rebuilding Iraq we'd be well on our way right now. Why do we have to rebuild Iraq you might ask. Simply...we blew that fucker up real good thats why!!

Gee, your boy Bill had 8 years and he never initiated such programs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Gee, I wonder how they found this out? I was never asked this question. No flame and I support attacking Iran but you really have to wonder about these statistics I mean.............did you vote on this?

something to think about.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top