Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2006 7:11:22 AM EDT
I want to put a set of night sights on my pistol and was wondering if there was any difference between the two manufactures besides price?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:12:23 AM EDT
[#1]
just price. they both use tritium and they both put out a good product.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I have Mepro on my H&K USPc 45, and Trijicon on my USPc 9mm, and the 9mm does have more rounds through it, but have faded to the point I am ready to replace them. The Mepro are very bright and larger circles then the Trijicon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I want to put a set of night sights on my pistol and was wondering if there was any difference between the two manufactures besides price?

Overall I think the Trijicons are better quality, but there are lots of happy Mepro owners out there.

I try to stick with Trijicons because they are tough and they last a long time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:18:57 AM EDT
[#4]
will these be on a glock or 1911?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:20:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Trijicon is a good company that makes great products and stands behind them 100%.  That said, I have Mepro on my USP Tact. (came with them) and they work fine.  If I had the choice, I would go Trijicon.  (plus they are a site sponser)
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#6]
In the dark they are about equal but in light the Meps are much better, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
will these be on a glock or 1911?

Glock 19
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:36:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Not trying to be a PIA but why much better?

ETA I can get the Trijicons locally but I would have to order the Mepro's and the npay for installation.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not trying to be a PIA but why much better?

Meprolites have a wider white ring around them, making them abit more visible.

I suspect this is what he's talikng about......

Mike

ETA - I have both, IMO the Meprolites have a longer life, but either is an okay choice in my book
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Is everyone using green for front and rear?

How "tough" are the Mepro adjustable rears?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:52:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I've got orange for my rear sights,green in front.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

How "tough" are the Mepro adjustable rears?

I have green front and rear adjustables on my USP 45. They've been dropped on ice and gravel and have held up fine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Not that you won't get good opinions here, but glocktalk has a forum for just such a question.  They go into the Mepro vs. Triji debate quite thorougly.

FWIW, I just had a set of Trijicon Novak-style sights installed on my G27.  No complaints thus far.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I just put Meprolite sights on my Kahr PM9 and they definitely appear much brighter than the year old Trijicon's on my 1911.  Too bad I didn't get them at the same time for comparison.

Your mileage may vary...

Ed
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#15]
According to Jim Greene of Glock, who instructs the Glock instructor workshop and Armorer's Courses nationwide, all of the tritium is made from the same company in Switzerland(?) and supplies the same to Glock, Trijicon, and Meprolight.  

I guess the only real difference is the sight housing.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:09:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
According to Jim Greene of Glock, who instructs the Glock instructor workshop and Armorer's Courses nationwide, all of the tritium is made from the same company in Switzerland(?) and supplies the same to Glock, Trijicon, and Meprolight.  

But the tritium itself doesn't glow. The glass ampules are coated with a compound that glows when hit by the decaying tritium radiation. That's how you get the different colors. The quality of the compound and size of the ampule does make a difference. At least that's how I always thought it worked. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Do the ORANGE rear sights last as long/warrantied as long as the green?

Someone told me they will not last as long as the green.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Do the ORANGE rear sights last as long/warrantied as long as the green?

Someone told me they will not last as long as the green.

It is my understanding that Trijicon's warranty is only half as long for other colors as it is for green.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:18:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But the tritium itself doesn't glow. The glass ampules are coated with a compound that glows when hit by the decaying tritium radiation. That's how you get the different colors. The quality of the compound and size of the ampule does make a difference. At least that's how I always thought it worked. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

OK...you just went way over my head with that.    I don't know how it works.  I would be interested to know exactly what is going inside the glass.  Someone in the class I took asked which sight was better, and this was his response.  He didn't elaborate much, so I was just left to guess that there was not really much, if any, differences at all.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Not that you won't get good opinions here, but glocktalk has a forum for just such a question.  They go into the Mepro vs. Triji debate quite thorougly.

FWIW, I just had a set of Trijicon Novak-style sights installed on my G27.  No complaints thus far.

I need to do that for my Glock 26.....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I need to do that for my Glock 26.....

Here is another option. I just got Ameriglo Operator sights installed on my 26. The front dot is a little larger then the rear dots. Oh and the sights are stamped Trijicon T H306. I paid $74.95 for the set through topglock. Shot great today with them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top