Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2006 7:06:22 AM EDT
How can we find out which state gets the most bang (theft) for the fed taxes they pay?  This is something we should know.  I could guess but I would like to see a variety of examples.  Like which state gets the most welfare per person.  Farm subsidies. Pork.  

It would be very interested to see which state gets the least.  In other words which state is getting screwed the worst. A list would be interesting.

Do our elected tyrants not want us to know this?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I have seen some statistics that indicate New Mexico and Alaska take in many more federal tax dollars than they provide. California is at a negative balance, only getting back less than 50% of each dollar in services.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:14:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How can we find out which state gets the most bang (theft) for the fed taxes they pay?  This is something we should know.  I could guess but I would like to see a variety of examples.  Like which state gets the most welfare per person.  Farm subsidies. Pork.  

It would be very interested to see which state gets the least.  In other words which state is getting screwed the worst. A list would be interesting.

There are statistics that show where the most federal money goes, but those can be deceptive.

Virginia, I think, gets more federal money than anyone else. But that isn't too suprising considering the national government is partially within Virginia, as is the largest Naval base, etc.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#4]
wva. didn't 60 minutes do a show on robt byrd saying he got more pork than any other congresscritter?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:22:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Doesnt AK pay for its self withj oil every few days?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:23:14 AM EDT
[#6]
NY has got to be way up there....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Imagine this…

A company has factories in Indiana, Kentucky, and Kansas. Their headquarters are in New York.

The actual production is being done in the factories but the taxes get paid from New York. Also, all of the highly paid executives live in, and pay taxes in, New York.

So it looks like New York is paying more than it’s share of the tax burden but that’s only because they are sucking wealth from the rest of the country. Ditto California and most of the big East Coast cities.

Now, I’m a good free marked capitalist and understand why things work this way, so I ain’t bitchin about it. But it does explain how numbers can be manipulated to make it look like the people in flyover country are all welfare queens.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:30:22 AM EDT
[#8]
New Orleans

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#9]
mexico
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
mexico

+1. I was just going to post that myself.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm thinking NY is way up there too.  But I would like to see a list of all states and how much they get back.  Like the CA example.  They get .71% or whatever per person then some state is getting 1.3 or whatever.  All fed taxes vs all subsides.  Maybe a big farm subsidy states gets more per person.  Maybe FL with all the retirees. Mass with Kennedy & Kerry?

I'm leading up to weening that state off the federal teet then putting the top parasite on a budget, then probation, then out. Keep going until the playing field is level.  Radical?  You bet!  Could it use a tweak or two?  Probably not.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Alaska gets the most federal spending both in absolute amounts and per capita.  By an enormous margin, too.  Texas and California get the least both in absolute terms and per capita, pretty surprising when I found that out.  So to all you Texans and Californians, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't think state by state numbers are useful. It isn't like the citizens of a particular state just get a check for their share of the federal money. The money gets spent on say military bases, corporate welfare, or some other pork project. That doesn't help the average Joe in the state at all.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#14]
The Palestinian Authority.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Id be interested to see where PUERTO RICO falls compared to the 50 states.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#17]
i thought this was going to be about ted kennedy
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Yep AK all the way .
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Truth-be-told, more "Republican" states are the biggest receivers of Federal revenue while more "Democrat" states are the biggest givers to the Federal revenue.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#21]
www.taxfoundation.org has all the info you need.

www.taxfoundation.org/files/3c3793ff8d66a2abe1b7bf444e1002f7.pdf has a neat picture of the states and tax/spend ratios.

10 worst welfare states: HI, AK, MT, NM, ND, MS, AL, KY, WV, VA

10 most ripped off states: CA, NV, CO, MN, IL, NY, NJ, CT, MA, NH
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Truth-be-told, more "Republican" states are the biggest receivers of Federal revenue while more "Democrat" states are the biggest givers to the Federal revenue.

Not really. What is shows is that high income states are losers and low income states are winners when it comes to how many federal dollars they get back. A progressive income tax will do that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#23]
According to the attached study, the "pumper" states are as follows:

New Jersey
Connecticut
New Hampshire
Nevada
Illinois
Minnesota
California
Colorado
New York
Massachusetts
Washington State
Delaware
Michigan
Wisconsin
Texas

The following states break even:

Indiana
Oregon

The remaining states are all "suckers" at the US Government and US Taxpayer Tit. New Mexico is the worst, getting more than 2 times back what they put in.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
www.taxfoundation.org has all the info you need.

www.taxfoundation.org/files/3c3793ff8d66a2abe1b7bf444e1002f7.pdf has a neat picture of the states and tax/spend ratios.

10 worst welfare states: HI, AK, MT, NM, ND, MS, AL, KY, WV, VA

10 most ripped off states: CA, NV, CO, MN, IL, NY, NJ, CT, MA, NH

Those are some fudged up ratings.

Anywhere that says VA is a worse welfare state than NJ has never been to EITHER.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really. What is shows is that high income states are losers and low income states are winners when it comes to how many federal dollars they get back. A progressive income tax will do that.

Yeah - that's kinda what I said.

Because it just so happens that "rich-people" states that pay more in revenue than they get back are "Red States" and "poor-people" states that pay less in revenue than they get back are the "Blue States".

But in all actuality, it's not just the rich vs. poor states reflected in the payers vs. receivers, it's also a factor of simple population.

Low population states will tend to get more than their "fair share" compared to high population states because certain fixed appropriations are made equally to all states regardless of need and population. That skews some of the spending to small states with less population.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#29]
I was thinking HI needs to go first.  No probation, just get out!  Game over.  Re-apply in 5 years.  Damn, I'd make one hell of a king.  You should hear my solution to our crime problem.  It's not totally fair but that's too bad.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Also true that it's the large states, New York, CA, Illinois etc. that over-contribute and the small, AK, HI, etc.that under-contribute.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#31]
The biggest parasite ---  Got to be Israel .     Well , what did you think I was going to say ?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#32]
But of course the "Chocolate City"
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
But of course the "Chocolate City"hr

For the moment , yeah .
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#34]
New Mexico and North Dakota due to the number of Indians on welfare.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#35]
NY stock exchange, NY harbor, shipping, warehousing really do counteract the humoungous amounts of welfare here.  

Do I wish they all went to work like I have to?  You bet.   Nothing worse than going to look someone up and waking them up at 11:00am because they don't have to get out of bed because you and I already paid their rent, groceries, heat, and light bills.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd guess Hawaii
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm more concerned with the 400 million that went to some shit assed country like Palestine last year.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Not a state, but I've heard that Puerto Rico is the biggest parasite.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

After the New Orleans debacle - I'm going to say Louisiana doesn't do anything for us.

I think NY, CA, and a few others have to carry the load for everyone else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top