Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/26/2006 9:24:59 PM EDT
Say you were on some country property and your dog was running loose. You see a man attack your dog (the dog is not being aggressive towards him) with a garden tool or shoot him with a firearm.

Would you kill this man?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  But I would beat him to within an inch of his life.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes but I don't want to go to prison
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it's against the CoC to talk about attacking cops...

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Sure, then you can take it 'doggy' in prision.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I have pekingese, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot someone whom intended harm to my dogs however, I'm extremly responsible  with my K9's and wouldn't let them get in that situation.  If someone were doing harm to my pets they intended to do that so they would get what the deserve.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:30:29 PM EDT
[#8]
There are some things worse than death
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#9]
No, but I would eat the dog.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#10]
No.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Say you were on some country property and your dog was running loose. You see a man attack your dog (the dog is not being aggressive towards him) with a garden tool or shoot him with a firearm.

Would you kill this man?

No. I would have to shoot him because he was attacking me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#12]
He shot my dog then turned the gun towards me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#13]
My dog is my "child".  Would you kill someone who killed your child in such a malicious way?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#14]
no.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#15]
IBTL
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#16]
"he was coming right for me!"
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My dog is my "child".  Would you kill someone who killed your child in such a malicious way?

It's property.  So you consider it acceptable to kill someone for damaging your property?z
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#18]
He said i was next.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

This has nothing to do with the cops, except in what fashion you would have to explain how things transpired to them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I would beat him to within a half inch of his life
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Would you kill this man?

Can't let the dog run loose, but lets say he got out and this happened.

Considering we're in the country - lots of land.
Man kills my dog with a shovel - tool to bury.
Dog is dead - diversion

My ruling, whack out the guy, find a nice plot under the old oak tree, bury the fella (using his shovel), then after piling on a few more feet of soil, place my dog in grave.   Only one thing left to do, rid yourself of the shovel - eat it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd go all liberal on his ass and sue him
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I would be very afraid for the person who did that to my dog.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's property.  So you consider it acceptable to kill someone for damaging your property?z

A dog is not property to me.

But aside from that bit of detail, it would depend on what the property meant to me and how much it cost me.  An old shed being attacked by a guy with an axe?  No.  My brand new Maserati or my house, yes.  "He was damaging my car officer, and then ran at me when I confronted him.  So I shot him 12 times with my 1911.  He still twitched after the first magazine..."
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#25]
If they never find the remains, the person never died, right?

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I would, Dead men tell no tales, I would say he attacked me, and the dog tried to defend me, so I killed the man. I don't have children, I have 2 Labs. God help anyone who harms either of them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#27]
My pets are part of the family, I'd kill someone who did anything to one of my family member.....does that answer your question
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#28]
They would kill someone who tried to harm me, or die trying, so why not do the same for them? .............. My oldest lab was about 3months old, 10 inches tall, and loved everybody. Before our fence was up, we chained him up in the side yard while we were at work, my neighbor saw the meter reader mace him. He was and is the lovingest animal you will ever find. It took all the restraint I had to keep from beating the shit out of this guy. Let's say we had a talk. I've never seen him in our neighborhood again. We have had a new reader ever since. Dog is 7 now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#29]
no. and anyone who actually would is a nutjob...no matter what they make their dog wear on Christmas or give it for its birthday. Same-as-a-child my ass.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Dunno...but I did come real close to beating the crap out of a mail carrier who was threatening to mace my dog through the fence to my backyard.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#31]
On a public sidewalk, one block from the dog's home, I had the dog tearing at my pant leg and I kicked at him and the owner swore at me and called me names...
When I chased a dog from knocking down my trash, the owner stuck his finger in my screen and wanted me to come out and fight because he felt his dog had the right to knock down my trashcan.
When a pit bull chased my little boys into the house, the humane society laughed at us and would not come out saying they did not have the manpower....when I said, I will shoot the  dog, their truck arrived in less than five minutes.
When a dog owner trained his dog to crap in my lawn and I said I don't like it...he said, what are, an animal hater?  
My thought on your dog is that if you let him run wild to be a nuisance or trespass, you don't have anything to say about what the neighbors do to him...
If irresponsible dog and cat owners went to jail and paid fines for the damage their pets do, every neighborhood would be more safe and peaceful...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
no. and anyone who actually would is a nutjob...no matter what they make their dog wear on Christmas or give it for its birthday. Same-as-a-child my ass.

+1  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:00:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:01:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2  

If your dog was "running loose" on my land and happened to be "playing with the deer" I would fear for your dog's life.

I have caught dogs running deer with a known poacher, they were nice dogs so I just took off their $300 tracking collars and let them both go and told the guy to leave and that I hadn't seen them.  I have also caused dogs not to return home, that were let out to run deer day after day, but I did not like it.  

Your dog has no right, nor do you, have any right to enter another's property without permission, especially if it is posted.  Now if this is on public land, and you are out walking, training, whatever, with your dog then that is another story.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
If your dog was "running loose" on my land and happened to be "playing with the deer" I would fear for your dog's life.

I have caught dogs running deer with a known poacher, they were nice dogs so I just took off their $300 tracking collars and let them both go and told the guy to leave and that I hadn't seen them.  I have also caused dogs not to return home, that were let out to run deer day after day, but I did not like it.  

Your dog has no right, nor do you, have any right to enter another's property without permission, especially if it is posted.  Now if this is on public land, and you are out walking, training, whatever, with your dog then that is another story.  

This was exactly my thought the first couple times I clicked on this thread. So many people think that their little Fido would never do anything wrong. Its an animal. The domestication only goes so deep, and beneath that they are predatory animals just like so many other animals out in nature.And there are lousy owners. So there is no simple, black-and-white ,easy answer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:39:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I was bird hunting on state land ( Ohio ) a few years back .........

The year was approx 1985 - was one of those pen raised pheasant release sites on state property where 100's of hunters show up for a preset hunt on a certain weekend morning. Equates to a virtual shooting gallery. I was younger and although a very experienced hunter and well versed in firearms safety ( unlike 80% of the other hunters there that morning ).

After the initial 'push' across the fields at the start, obviously different groups break off and hunt : different lines / gulleys / draws and fence rows etc.

Approx 1 1/2 hours into the hunt ( I had my 2 roosters but kept hunting so my 2 buddies could get their birds ) we hear a gun shot and a dog yelp ( yes some dummies actually brought hunting dogs to this shooting gallery - keep in mind the birds are pen raised and fly slow as chickens and most need to be stepped on or kicked to get them up in the air ). We walk around the end of a long overgrown fence row and see a beautiful german short hair ( the dog is dead mind you ) laying at the feet of 2 men .... one is the owner of the dog who has his shotgun leveled at the mid section of the other hunter ( who obviously just accidently shot this mans dog ).

We stood there in shock and disbelief while the owner of the dog took the mans shotgun and emptied his wallet ( unknown amount of cash ).

My 2 friends and I stated " if everything is settled up here, we will get on our way" and we left and headed straight for our car.

Last time I ever hunted pen raised birds at a Dept. of Wildlife release.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
No.  But I would beat him to within an inch of his life.

+1 with permanent injuries
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:56:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

If irresponsible dog and cat owners went to jail and paid fines for the damage their pets do, every neighborhood would be more safe and peaceful...

Say the same about children (use the liberal defination of child up to say age 25), will you be saying the same thing?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:21:50 AM EDT
[#39]
My dogs stay in their fence, if they were running loose and a threat to someone, and said person hurt or killed one of them, I would have to eat it. But if someone comes in my yard, and harms them, that is when their life would be in danger. Irresponsible pet owners, have little room for recourse. When I said I would kill someone over them, I am refering to a person attacking them on my property,  with the dogs doing nothing wrong. There have been several animals shot with bows around here lately, while they were in their pens or pastures. Those people would be in danger of losing their life, if I were to catch them. They may not be children, but they are members of my family, and I will protect my family in any necessary.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:24:10 AM EDT
[#40]
My dog isn't worth extensive jail time.  Maybe a few nights in county though.....

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:39:50 AM EDT
[#41]
No dog ( or any other animal ) is worth killing a person over, not even a " police dog ".

Good luck with the " I Kill'd em cuz he shotz my dawg ! " defense in court !
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:22:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Probably, and that would be the same if it was one of my cats instead of my dog.

A person who kills a defenseless animal for no reason is the worst kind of human. If they can easily kill something that is unable to defend itself and have no qualms about it then they could easily murder a person. If that kind of person came onto my property I could say that I feared for my safety.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:26:25 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Yes, even more so if the property is irreplacable.

Most pet owners do not merely consider thier animals property.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:33:35 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I'm in Texas, bang bang bang bang
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:57:52 AM EDT
[#45]

There are some things worse than death

BINGO!
I have more respect and enjoy the company of my dogs more than most people I have known.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:01:17 AM EDT
[#46]
I don't have a dog, I have two cats.
If someone killed my cat, I would be mildly irritated and force him to pay for the money I put into my cat door.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:02:24 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
My pets are part of the family, I'd kill someone who did anything to one of my family member.....does that answer your question

Then you'd be a murderer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:05:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:13:05 AM EDT
[#49]
She's a mini pinscher who attacks with her tongue.  Her tail never stops wagging as well.  If someone shot my 12 pound "lick-o-matic" I'd have no choice but to take immediate physical actions to defend myself, since obviously this individual is not rational or sane AND he is armed.

And yes, if he was SHOOTING, not yet having hit my dog, I would shoot at him to prevent the killing of a good family member.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:20:24 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
It's property.  So you consider it acceptable to kill someone for damaging your property?

Yes.  

Although I have never came close to killing anyone, and the law prohibits me from
killing anyone over property issues in my state, I do think it is acceptable.

Kill my dog, steal my car, burgle my house, should be punnishable by death on the spot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top