Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2001 9:14:50 AM EDT
For those who are seeking employment at this time, this might help out....

[url]http://content.careers.msn.com/GettingHired/Interviews/htg_questions.asp[/url]

Common Job Interview Questions

"Tell me about yourself."
Make a short, organized statement of your education and professional achievements and professional goals. Then, briefly describe your qualifications for the job and the contributions you could make to the organization.

"Why do you want to work here?" or "What about our company interests you?"
Few questions are more important than these, so it is important to answer them clearly and with enthusiasm. Show the interviewer your interest in the company. Share what you learned about the job, the company and the industry through your own research. Talk about how your professional skills will benefit the company. Unless you work in sales, your answer should never be simply: "money." The interviewer will wonder if you really care about the job.

"Why did you leave your last job?"
The interviewer may want to know if you had any problems on your last job. If you did not have any problems, simply give a reason, such as: relocated away from job; company went out of business; laid off; temporary job; no possibility of advancement; wanted a job better suited to your skills. If you did have problems, be honest. Show that you can accept responsibility and learn from your mistakes. You should explain any problems you had (or still have) with an employer, but don't describe that employer in negative terms. Demonstrate that it was a learning experience that will not affect your future work.

"What are your best skills?"
If you have sufficiently researched the organization, you should be able to imagine what skills the company values. List them, then give examples where you have demonstrated these skills.

"What is your major weakness?"
Be positive; turn a weakness into a strength. For example, you might say: "I often worry too much over my work. Sometimes I work late to make sure the job is done well."

"Do you prefer to work by yourself or with others?"
The ideal answer is one of flexibility. However, be honest. Give examples describing how you have worked in both situations.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#1]
BS!!!!

The hardest question I ask is " how are you going to make our team more successful than if I hire the next guy that comes in that door for the same money? "

I have yet to hear a satisfactory answer come out of the mouth of anyone without 5+ yrs experience in managing people, be it in corporate America or the military...
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#2]
How would you answer it?
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Because I am Gunmonkey, have you not heard of me? No, why have you wasted my time?
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#4]
"What are your career goals?" or "What are your future plans?"
The interviewer wants to know if your plans and the company's goals are compatible. Let him know that you are ambitious enough to plan ahead. Talk about your desire to learn more and improve your performance, and be specific as possible about how you will meet the goals you have set for yourself.

"What are your hobbies?" and "Do you play any sports?"
The interviewer may be looking for evidence of your job skills outside of your professional experience. For example, hobbies such as chess or bridge demonstrate analytical skills. Reading, music, and painting are creative hobbies. Individual sports show determination and stamina, while group sport activities may indicate you are comfortable working as part of a team. Also, the interviewer might simply be curious as to whether you have a life outside of work. Employees who have creative or athletic outlets for their stress are often healthier, happier and more productive.

"What salary are you expecting?"
You probably don't want to answer this one directly. Instead, deflect the question back to the interviewer by saying something like: "I don't know. What are you planning on paying the best candidate?" Let the employer make the first offer.  However, it is still important to know what the current salary range is for the profession. Find salary surveys at the library or on the Internet, and check the classifieds to see what comparable jobs in your area are paying. This information can help you negotiate compensation once the employer makes an offer.

"What have I forgotten to ask?"
Use this as a chance to summarize your good characteristics and attributes and how they may be used to benefit the organization. Convince the interviewer that you understand the job requirements and that you can succeed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#5]
So medicjim what is a satisfactory answer? Mine would be That "I will hit the ground running and kicking ass and not even stop and take time to take down names" So do I get the job?
Seriously when I first was looking for a job I got all the PAGE questions...what are your Plans,expectations,goals,asperations... The weiderest that I was actually asked was if I could be any animal what animal would I be? First I said Of any animal I would be a man - I would be myself but she pushed and said I had to choose an animal. So I picked a lion and of course she said tell me why and I gave some bs and didn't get the job.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I find that the best "team players" are the ones that are good friends,   which is a little hard on the new hires to fit in right away.                
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#8]
The answer to my question "how are you going to make our team more successful than if I hire the next guy that comes in that door for the same money?"

There is no one right answer... your response should be a reflection of your personality and approach to business... it tells an awful lot about you...

The interviewer wants to know how you are gonna fit in as an employee and a team member. You shouldn't seek to answer the question "right", you should answer the question "your way".

To be honest, if someone looked me right in the eye and in a firm, confident voice said "I don't know what the next guy is gonna be like, but I will deliver solid, consistent, better than average work for fair pay", we would probably be talking $$ not too long afterwards...

Coy questions about what kind of animal you want to be ... or open ended questions which challenge your unguided perceptions only serve to expose a "random" side of your personality... I try to stay out of my employee's "random" features and focus on their business approach...

Interviewers that play games will probably do the same during your annual salary review..

bottom line.. I don't play games with potential employees and I don't play by "rules" created by "know-it-all" professor types that spend their days complimenting each other and thinking up new and ever better ways to dull the minds of all that would follow them...

A REAL manager has a job to do and doesn't have time for "coy"... he or she should ask direct, professional questions that allow you to "strut your stuff" if you "got it".

That's my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#9]
At my last interview they asked these questions:

Q. Jimmy, Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?
Q. Jimmy, Have you ever seen a full grown man naked?
Q. Jimmy, Do you like to watch Gladiator movies?
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#10]
worst interview question?
Someone mentioned it before:
"Say you aren't one of those NRA-guys are you?

alphabeta121
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Reloader....

I bet you got the job!

Congrats!
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Dumbest question I was asked: Describe yourself in three words. I used 'tall,white,thin'.

In retrospect, I should have used 'out of here' and walked out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#13]
"Describe yourself in three words"

Efficient.

So efficient I can come in 2/3 under budget on the description and still get the job done.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank GOD I finally got my job, so I could purge all that rubbish.  Above all I think enthusiasm, knowledge of the company, and being outgoing gets you hired.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Since you covered the more experienced job questions, how about someone who wants to work at McDonalds?

How well can you handle the french fries and still make the burgers?

You speak the language?  Spanish?

Can you work without eating up all the food in site?

etc.  [:D]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Ive done interviews... this 1 question made ALL of them squirm...

[b]Why should I hire you?[/b]

Well.... why should I?

CB
[@:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top