Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2006 6:59:58 PM EDT
 what is the most pracitcal branch to join in . Marines, army, or air force?  Also, would it be a better idea to join first and then go to college or go to college and then join as an officer?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#1]
See your local recuiters, listen to their pitch, and make your own decision.  

The one thing I will add is if you're interested in attending college, take a look at the current Ops tempo of each branch.  Your best bet might be the Guard.

~Dg84
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
maybe you should ask yourself what you want to do , first. try to be specific. " I want to be a soldier/sailor/airman/marine" isn't quite specific enough to plan a career path.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Once a Marine, Always a Marine.

+1 to what doorgunner84 said though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#4]
What does practical mean?  Do you have any specific career ideas?
The way you worded your question implies that you have done little research and are unfamiliar with what military service can offer you.  And equally important what you can offer it.  Each service can offer you everything from carrying a weapon and saying yes sir for years---- to skilled highly educated long term schools that you can use in your life after the service.  My school in the Marines was over a year long although I signed a five year commitment when I enlisted.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#5]
First off, what are your career interests?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, you spell like an officer already... but can you yell like one?hug.gif
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well, you spell like an officer already... but can you yell like oneuse a map like one?

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#8]
The Guard will send you places as well. That said, it's likely 18 months and that's it, as opposed to a year out of every two.

NTM
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well, you spell like an officer already... but can you yell like one?

Officers don't yell; that's what NCO's are for.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:41:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, you spell like an officer already... but can you yell like oneuse a map like one call for fire like one?

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:54:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Join the Guard, have them pay for college, then go active.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:54:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
 what is the most pracitcal branch to join in . Marines, army, or air force?  Also, would it be a better idea to join first and then go to college or go to college and then join as an officer?

hahahaha what a question! do you like fighting, getting dirty, and getting pushed to the limit? join the marines. do you like fighting, getting dirty, doing your bit for your country, but just wanna do it and get it over with? join the army and get lost in a big green machine. do you wanna do your duty but not get dirty and get lots of good technical training? join the air force. do you wanna travel, get smeared with all sorts of disgusting goo, see the world, and do you like to paint? join the navy.

as for the guard? you need to check out your local units. chances are good right now that you're gonna deploy to astan or iraq and some are better than others and some are horrendous. i have heard some horror stories about incompetence!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:59:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hahahaha what a question! do you like fighting, getting dirty, and getting pushed to the limit? join the marines. do you like fighting, getting dirty, doing your bit for your country, but just wanna do it and get it over with? join the army and get lost in a big green machine. do you wanna do your duty but not get dirty and get lots of good technical training? join the air force. do you wanna travel,  get bent over get smeared with all sorts of disgusting goo, see the world, and do you like to paint? join the navy.

as for the guard? you need to check out your local units. chances are good right now that you're gonna deploy to astan or iraq and some are better than others and some are horrendous. i have heard some horror stories about incompetence!

Why does the Navy issue powdered soap?  

Because it takes longer to pick up in the shower...

Look at what your long term career goals are (as far as what kind of work) and choose the branch that best suits that career field.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I would not listen to anybody...
make up your own mind. talk to each recruiter, ask questions.
Go with the branch that appeals to you the most.

That is what I did, I don't regret my choice, I did what I wanted. US Army.

Besides, Bradleys kick LAV25's ass <w00t! only joking my leather-neck bros!)
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#15]
it really depends on what your goals are
Marines=Warfighter, with few support roles available
Army=Warfighters with huge support system
Navy=everything you do is on a boat (ETA: sorry forgot about the Corpsmen and SEABEES)
Air Force=Tons of support, very few warfighters nowadays

ETA: I'm Army and an officer in a Combat Support branch
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Thirty seconds into Marine Boot Camp, your life's goal will be made crystal clear...

You should have stayed in college.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:27:20 AM EDT
[#17]
IMPO

Air Force
Navy
Marines
Army
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:29:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Airforce chicks have the biggest boobies.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thirty seconds into Marine Boot Camp, your life's goal will be made crystal clear...

You should have stayed in college.

jeebus, i think i just pulled a muscle in my gut!!! that was SO true!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#20]
The recruiters won't lie, they just don't tell the whole story; Just decide by yourself. The most benefits (creature comforts) you will get are in the AF. With the Marines, you are getting the name. With the Coast Guard, you will concentrate in the main land but you can still see some out there in the sandbox. Last the Navy, not all of them are on boats. We have other branches that do not go on boats (try dirt sailor!).
If you can go as an officer, then that would be better. Or be a mustang (start enlisted then move to officer).
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#21]
I would say it depends on what you're after.  If you're looking for a free/cheaper education (college benefits or training for a technical carer) I'd say join the Airforce or Navy.  They both offer some really good training in high tech fields and being an Airman or Sailor isn't very difficult.

If you want to be a fighting machine, I'd say join the Marine Corps.  I spent six years in the Army and while I did get to do some fun and "high speed" things, looking back I wish I'd have joined the Marines.  The Army made a man out of me but things have changed alot since then.  I am proud to have served my Country but don't take a ton of pride having been in the Army.  I think you would be hard pressed to find a Marine who isn't proud to be a Marine.  Just my opinion of course.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Airforce chicks have the biggest boobies.

hahaha!! WHy does everybody believe that??

but seriously, I have seen some AWESOME chicks from all 4 branches, and even a suprising number of Marine females that were hot...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Navy SEEBEES

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Little advice about seeing a recruiter. Listen to what they have to say go home and RESEARCH everything they said or offered on your own. When it comes to contract time make sure everything they offered is in writing . If its not chances are your not gonna get it .

The army roxors the big one1111!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#25]
also dont give the recruiter your address and phone number, because they will pester you constantly to enlist, dont let them cause you to make any hasty decisions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top